Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Wildkat with Valve Senior Combo

Sada Yairi

I’m gonna share my little story. I have a classical background, and I’m only now getting into the whole electric thing properly having not played any electric stuff since school a long long time ago. Been mucking around on an old (Samick) Dot and starting to think about a decent quality electric. After playing around with lots of different guitars and reading lots of reviews etc, I’ve decided to go with a semi-hollow, and the Wildkat is looking the most likely option (though I had no experience with P90s).

Finally tracked down a Wildkat to play in Sydney (Australia) which was a challenge. Played it this weekend, and the guitar shop guy (Gallins Guitars, Sydney) set me up with an Epi Valve Senior combo to play through. Man oh man, that baby can sing. I didn’t even realise Epiphone made amps (couldn't find them on the Epi website), that’s how out-of-the picture I am. I didn’t expect to be able to hear big differences between a tube amp and a modelling amp, but I had them side-by-side (albeit the modelling amp was a cheap Beringher) and the Epi was on a whole different plane. I now understand what you guys mean when you use the term ‘buttery’. I just couldn’t believe how much I loved the tone coming out of that amp. I also loved the simplicity of the controls – nothing at all complicated, controls that just do what they say they do – even I could get the amp sounding great (very different to the complicated modelling amps I tried elsewhere).

Loved the Wildkat too – very easy to play (though I’ll have to learn how to use the tremolo) and had a really nice range of tones. The P90s weren’t nearly as noisy as I expected (probably largely due to me not being able to recognise the noise I suppose) but the shop guy (Dan) did say that their particular shop is bad for P90 noise cos of the electrical wiring so if it didn’t sound bad to me there, then that’s a good sign.

I would like to know from any of you guys who have Wildkats, how many of you have felt the need to swap the pickups? I’ve read on other threads here that a lot have swapped them, and done other mods, but are there many of you who find they’re good enough stock? I can’t afford to be making mods down the track and I’m not experienced enough with pickups to judge how good the sound out of the stock P90s is so I wouldn’t mind some advice on that.

Unfortunately, due to living in a small apartment I need to be able to use headphones with my amp, so the Valve Senior isn’t a realistic option, but now that I’ve heard it I’m starting to look around for a tube amp with a headphone jack (and aux input). The new Fender Pawn Shop series may be the way to go, but we’ll see.

Having played the Wildkat, and heard the Valve Senior, I now understand the depth of the term GAS!

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to find a tube amp with a headphone jack - why is that? Obviously the amp makers realise the practicality of headphones since pretty much all the ss amps have a headphone jack, just not the tubes. Haven't looked at the Bugeras but I will. One advantage of not knowing anything about the amps in the first place is that I can only judge them on what I find - not on the badge.

Welcome, Sada!

I have changed out the humbuckers on the two Epi Les Pauls I used to own but I've never, ever felt the need to change the pups on my Wildkat. Most Wildkat owners tend to concur with than opinion.

If you haven't bought that 'kat already you'd better move quickly before someone else snaps it up.

wildcat through a nice valve amp ... [thumbup] sounds like a match made in heaven.

I play my Wildkat through my Epi Valve Sr all the time. Awesome combo. Also sounds great with my Fender Blues Jr., but neither has a headphone jack.

Hi Mate & welcome.

My Wildkat had the GFS p90 p-ups already in it when I bought it, it sounds great, but I have never heard it with the stock P-ups. - well that was useful :blink:

Anyway - as mentioned get the Wildkat, as for an amp with Headphone out - my VOX Vt40+ has it, so try a VOX out with it.

And when you get it - you have to post pics.

I play my Wildkat through my Epi Valve Sr all the time. Awesome combo. Also sounds great with my Fender Blues Jr., but neither has a headphone jack.

Headphone outputs on tube amps are rare as the amp has to has some sort of matching load built in to replace the speaker when using the headphones.

Tube amp + No Speaker = Damaged tube amp...

Blackstar's HT-5 and HT-1 (5watt and 1 watt) have what they call "speaker emulated output" You can plug in headphones or plug the amp to a PA system or use it for recording.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-1/ht-1.html

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/ht-5r.php

Bugera V5 also has a headphone jack.

http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/V5.aspx

I had a Bugera V5 and a Blackstar HT-1

I liked them both but I only miss the Bug.

Ask guys here who have them, most like them.....

I see. That would explain the rarity of tubes with a headphone jack. I did have a poke around at the Bugeras (just online) so I'm gonna try that V5. It's cheap too, which certainly helps. I had been planning on a modelling amp (Orange ldx35, Mustang II, Vox 40+) but I played around with a couple and there we so many different models and effects it was overwhelming. I spent an hour mucking around with the Vox and I couldn't get any tones out of it that I liked (and I'm only after some nice warm blues tones, something clean for jazz, and a bit of overdrive for light rock). Even the couple of guys in the shops I've been to have had no idea which was surprising. A big part of the appeal of the Valve Senior was that it's just so simple to use. Only a few controls, and controls that are obvious and clear. Loved it; wish it had a headphone jack!

I've had my Wildkat for 7 or 8 years now and have no intentions of swapping out the pickups. I like the stock P-90's just fine! By the way, some of those Samick 335 copies are excellent guitars. The low-end bolt-neck versions are only so-so, but the set neck SAN-450 and Artist Series SAB-650 and SAT-650 are really good. I have both the SAT-650 and SAB-650, and they're right up there with Epi Elitists in quality and tone.

I've had my Wildkat for 7 or 8 years now and have no intentions of swapping out the pickups. I like the stock P-90's just fine! By the way, some of those Samick 335 copies are excellent guitars. The low-end bolt-neck versions are only so-so, but the set neck SAN-450 and Artist Series SAB-650 and SAT-650 are really good. I have both the SAT-650 and SAB-650, and they're right up there with Epi Elitists in quality and tone.

Interesting about the pickups, thanks for that. They sounded great to me, but because I'm new to the whole scene I was wondering if as time went by I'd notice their limitations more. Good to know I can plan on being satisfied with the stock ones longer-term. And I do find my Samick Dot nice to play, and with some nice tones. Very nice looker too. Having that to play round on has meant I can take my time looking for my perfect new lady and make sure I get just what I want.

• 2 months later...

Time to update this thread. After about 4 months of thoroughly enjoyable researching, trying, asking and playing all sorts of guitars and amps, the Wildkat was my favorite. Of all the amps I tried (ss & tube) I found the Epi Valve Senior the most enjoyable. However, both the Wildkat and the Valve Senior were out of my price range (in Aus they both go for around $800). As such, I decided to wait on the guitar and keep playing my old Dot. I also decided that the best amp I could afford was the Bugera V22. Tried to organise a V22 but got jerked around by the music store. Happened to check out another store's website just for fun, and guess what? Due to a big sale with unbelievable prices, I have just ordered a Wildkat AND a Valve Senior!!!!! My ideal dream pair, and they're about to be mine!!!

MMMWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAHHHHAAA!!!!!

Time to update this thread. After about 4 months of thoroughly enjoyable researching, trying, asking and playing all sorts of guitars and amps, the Wildkat was my favorite. Of all the amps I tried (ss & tube) I found the Epi Valve Senior the most enjoyable. However, both the Wildkat and the Valve Senior were out of my price range (in Aus they both go for around $800). As such, I decided to wait on the guitar and keep playing my old Dot. I also decided that the best amp I could afford was the Bugera V22. Tried to organise a V22 but got jerked around by the music store. Happened to check out another store's website just for fun, and guess what? Due to a big sale with unbelievable prices, I have just ordered a Wildkat AND a Valve Senior!!!!! My ideal dream pair, and they're about to be mine!!!

MMMWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAHHHHAAA!!!!!

Nice!!!! I've never, ever run across a Valve Sr...am wondering how many Epi actually sold before d/c-ing them. Heck, they don't even turn up on eBay..... yes, the Wildkat is on my wish/want/someday/one day list [thumbup] Seems Epi has given up producing tube amps, at least for now... we can always hope

Grats on the new rig Sada, definitely a nice combo you've chosen for yourself, I hope they bring you much enjoyment and happiness,

Yeah, Oz prices suck, that's why I import most of my stuff.

When I first tried the Valve Senior (which I didn't even know existed before that day) it took about 10 seconds to get beautiful tones out of the thing. With all the modelling amps I tried, I spent ages playing around and just couldn't get the sort of nice cleans and mild bluesy gain tones I was after. To begin with I didn't really intend to go with a valve amp (expense, unreliability etc), but I just couldn't get anything else that sounded anywhere near as good. I figure people who know the modelling amps better must be able to get nice sounds out of them, but even when I asked the guys at a couple of stores I went to they really had no idea.

I just love the simplicity of the Valve Senior. I love the progressive gain, from absolutely nothing through to high grain but on a linear trajectory. Very easy to get just the right amount of gain for how I like it. Plus the thing looks great, and there's the cudos of having an amp that's hard to come by!

Nope, though that was the intention. Apparently that one went as soon as they put it on sale. They're sourcing another one for me, brand new rather than floor stock (so we had to agree on a price). I had so much trouble finding a Wildkat to try in the first place - Gallins were the only ones I could find with one on hand. I may not have even gone to their shop were it not for the Wildkat. And their guy (Dan) suggested trying the Valve Senior. I've been to heaps of shops since - it's kind of a nice symmetry to end up back at Gallins, especially given the excellent service I rec'd there initially and again now. Some of the other shops I went to (or made phone/email enquiries with) were amazingly atrocious. A couple of sales guys just told me blatant lies. Others had no idea when I asked specific questions. Others were very high pressure. Dan spent some time with me talking through the relative advantages and disadvantages of a few guitars and amps I asked about, plus he made insightful suggestions. One thing he suggested was buying an amPlug so I didn't have to worry about getting an amp with a headphone jack. I went and did exactly that - got the AC30 amPlug which is fantastic. I can really crank it, and play with a backing track when I feel like it, and my wife in the next room can't hear a thing. Of course, the big advantage is that it opened up a lot more options amp-wise since headphones became irrelevant. I'm really really pleased that I ended up getting exactly what I want, not having to settle for second best.

Gallins rock.

Archived