Gibson Brands Forums

My replacement R6...

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

...Isn't an R6.

Just picked up an R8 from GAK. I've got to give it to them, they've gone the extra mile. Very happy. Pictures and recordings to come.

...Isn't an R6.

Just picked up an R8 from GAK. I've got to give it to them, they've gone the extra mile. Very happy. Pictures and recordings to come.

Wait [confused] ...you sent back your R6, and they sent you and R8, as a replacement??? Or, did you see the

R6 replacement, and decide to get the R8, instead? Seems odd, that Gibson would replace an R6

with an R8?!! What if you only wanted an R6??? [scared]

Inquiring minds, want to know! [biggrin]

CB

Guest farnsbarns

Yeah, Gibson sent a replacement R6 but there was a nasty lumpy knot in the fretboard. After some time tooing and froing with Gibson, they just decided to offer me the R8 that they had in stock because I said I liked it. Apparently they are exactly the same trade price. Very good of them to shoulder the burden of the problematic R6 and they had no obligation to let me have the R8. They could have just left me hanging on while they dealt with Gibson on it.

I'm very happy. I'll take some pics after I've done the obligatory test drive. It's a lovely plain top iced tea burst, slightly more faded looking than most iced tea finishes.

.... I'm very happy. I'll take some pics after I've done the obligatory test drive. It's a lovely plain top iced tea burst, slightly more faded looking than most iced tea finishes.

Well alright. . B)

Looking forward to your review and pics.

Yeah, Gibson sent a replacement R6 but there was a nasty lumpy knot in the fretboard. After some time tooing and froing with Gibson, they just decided to offer me the R8 that they had in stock because I said I liked it. Apparently they are exactly the same trade price. Very good of them to shoulder the burden of the problematic R6 and they had no obligation to let me have the R8. They could have just left me hanging on while they dealt with Gibson on it.

I'm very happy. I'll take some pics after I've done the obligatory test drive. It's a lovely plain top iced tea burst, slightly more faded looking than most iced tea finishes.

I'm astounded [confused] , the Gibson CS would allow (another) one, like that, out of the shop, much less send it,

as a replacement, for an even more problematic CS guitar! [scared][crying][cursing]

But, I am glad your dealer, stepped up, and did the right thing! Just sorry, you had to go through

all that, in the first place! :unsure: :rolleyes:

We'll be looking forward, to the R8 photos! Enjoy!

CB

Guest farnsbarns

I'm astounded [confused] , the Gibson CS would allow (another) one, like that, out of the shop, much less send it,

as a replacement, for an even more problematic CS guitar! [scared][crying][cursing]

But, I am glad your dealer, stepped up, and did the right thing! Just sorry, you had to go through

all that, in the first place! :unsure: :rolleyes:

We'll be looking forward, to the R8 photos! Enjoy!

CB

I know, and I've always said there is no systemic QC issue at Gibson and look at the numbers etc, etc. It is hard to imagine how it happens that that piece of wood gets selected, the guitar get's finished and shipped, as a replacement. Still not evidence of a systemic problem though, but worrying. The head of Gibson UK (Ray, I think) looked at it and agreed it wasn't good. I think that was the final catalyst for GAK to just hand me an R8.

All's well that ends well.

Guest farnsbarns

How does the neck compare to your R6?

P.

Actually it's not far different.

R8s are the best! Was there anything actually wrong with that R6, or was it just aesthetics and you weren't happy with looking at a knot in the fretboard?

You could feel the knot when playing and it was very distracting.

Can someone tell me what R6 and R8 mean?

56 reissue / 58 reissue

Guest farnsbarns

581-1.jpg

I see what you've done, the sofa and the wall look more natural but the guitar finish has gone redder and actually it needed to loose some red. The second picture I posted is a closer likeness colour-wise.

Hey how's this? Thought I would try...

58-3.jpg

She's a beaut man...i like the plain top. (I think!) WOuld love to see some high res photos of the wood grain. Reminds me of Flight959's LP...my fav ever.

Edit: Jeez you lose colour when uploading to Photobucket....wow.

Hey how's this? Thought I would try...

58-3.jpg

She's a beaut man...i like the plain top. (I think!) WOuld love to see some high res photos of the wood grain. Reminds me of Flight959's LP...my fav ever.

Edit: Jeez you lose colour when uploading to Photobucket....wow.

I ran your R8 through PS auto color and sharpened it. Perhaps this is closer to the color.

58-3.jpg

I think it get it lol. Does this just go for LPs or all guitars?

This naming (ie R6, R8, R0) pertains to reissues of Gibson's original run of LPs in the 50s, ending in 1960, when Gibson decided to stop making the original carved top, single cut, thick body style and replaced it in 1961 with the double cut, thinner body style (aka SG). From 61 through 63 the SG was the Gibson Les Paul model/s. In late 63 Gibson dropped the Les Paul name and just called them SG models. In 1968 Gibson decided to again produce the original carved top, single cut, thick body style Les Paul and since then they've been in continuous production.

Archived