Gibson Brands Forums

This 12 string guitar makes me wanna get one!

FenderGuy1

A 12 string acoustic is a really nice addition to any arsenal. They are not all created equal. I had played on a friends Yamaha and thought it souded pretty decent until I got my Guild. Wow.

I haven't played a Martin 12 so can't comment personally but I'm sure they are top notch.

Get a six string first though. More versatile.

Just an opinion from a guy who went the other way around.

Dave

I know the feeling, and that is the only guitar I've yet to add to my collection. I love Martin acoustic guitars as much as I love my Gibson electric guitars. I'm hoping Martin will add a 12 string to their Performing Artist Series guitar line since I already have a GPCPA1 model. Otherwise, I'll have to choose between the Grand J12-40E Special or the D12-28.

• 2 weeks later...

My first 12-string was a super cheapie Stella I got either in late 1963 or early 1964. Following the college "thing" at the time and place, I refinished it.

Oddly although it was a cheapie with an ax handle neck, it played rather well and sounded better than one might expect.

I think almost any 12 that's in tune and playable is a neat instrument, but I don't personally think of it as exactly the same sorta instrument as a 6-string. It's just too easy to over-play the darned thing. Leo Kottke is the only picker I can think of who consistently overplays it and it still sounds good.

Honestly, I think it terms of six-string tone, but I think a nice-playing cheapie does about as well as a super-expensive one if you're looking at acoustics by the time they run through a mike, depending on style.

They're all fun.

m

Archived