Gibson Brands Forums

Early Beatles pics

ol fred

Em7, there lies the answer to your questions Nick.

I could guess, but that would be my best.

I'm like you, great stuff, found this morning and had to share.

OK, Fred, You've got me hooked in. You really need to explain some of the less familiar faces here. And is that really Ringo playing guitar with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes?

Great stuff here!

Please, anyone like to ID any of these blokes?

Hey what a thrill to see these pics. A lot of them new ones to me. Understand why they opened your eyes this morning.

One gets the impression it was both hard times and so much fun down there in Hamburg, , , or during the period as a whole. I'm sure they were just as high dreaming as they were adventures and brave.

Btw. I visited those bars in Hamburg 10 years ago or something. Kaiserkeller, Indra Club and a few other places – even slept at the hotel they used at some point. There's a music store in lower section of the building where they bought stuff. As I recall it the same owner (at least when I was there). I bought 4 black picks (as A Hard Days Night mob tops symbols).

Naturally they fooled around a great deal, who didn't – Pete Best exploding with the mic and yes, , , good young Richie with the little electric.

Notice how many chicks they attracted from the very start – apropos your other thread Fred.

Thank you so much for sharing.

...............................................................................StorminHamburgposter.jpg

Davey Jones REALLY changed his look when he joined the Monkeys....

Geez, Wiley, repeat after me: the Monkeys swing in the tree: the Monkees sing on TV.....

I think you're failing your dementia test, Wily. C'mon, it was only 45 years ago.....Seems like just yesterday! [biggrin]

Sure would like to see some captions on those. I suspect the non-Ringo drummer is Pete Best. There is another, dark spectacled guitarist. I'm curious whom this is.

Also in the 2nd and or 3rd pic, note the Teachest bass. UK's version of the Washtub bass.

I was hoping that Em7 would enlighten us

Sure would like to see some captions on those. I suspect the non-Ringo drummer is Pete Best. There is another, dark spectacled guitarist. I'm curious whom this is.

Also in the 2nd and or 3rd pic, note the Teachest bass. UK's version of the Washtub bass.

They guy in the dark glasses is probably Stu Sutcliffe who died in Germany. Asrid was madly in love with him.

I was hoping that Em7 would enlighten us

The pre-Ringo drummer is Pete Best. The right-handed bassist with the shades (Paul was playing guitar then) is Stu Sutcliffe. That's the original five-man Beatles lineup.

The blonde dude with Ringo (sort of a pre-Bowie David Bowie) is Rory Storm (Rory Storm and the Hurricanes--Ringo was guitar player!), also known as Alan Caldwell in real life.

All these pics are online, with a lot of commentary.

Good stuff, particularly for those who want to view the Beatles as something other that a group that emerged fully-developed from the sea with "Love Me, Do" in 1962.

I could tell you a story about the first time I heard the Beatles on the radio, but that was a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away......

Yes, the drummer is Pete Best (still alive and kicking).

And bass guitarist with specs is Stu Sutcliffe (Astrids fiance). In reality he was more interested in the arts and left the band scarred when he started art school in Germany, 1961.

Well, bass wasn't the hottest instrument at the time, but large as always, Paul offered to take over (hereby we got one of the best rock bass-players ever – the inventor of 'independent' melodic b-lines). He soon bought the super light weight Höfner violin-bass, simply because it was affordable. Anyone who recalls the 'bottom' of the Beatles tracks or have played the instrument will know it's an excellent 4-string.

Sadly Stuart Sutcliffe left the planet far too early (1962) due to a brain hemorrhage.

Check footage of this youngster and you'll see an ultra hip almost timeless cat right there. . .

I wonder if Best and McCartney keep in contact.

Reading accounts of his release from the band are contradictory. Some say it was the record label management that wanted him out for musical reasons, someone in management told Best the other lads wanted him out. My guess it was management. Early after Ringo's joining, they side-lined him for the recording of a couple singles in favor of a more 'seasoned' studio drummer, essentially, the same reason cited as the record label's excuse for releasing Best.

There may not be bad blood between them.

Archived