Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD/HNPD

Pete B

Happy new project day to me. [thumbup]

Got this off Fleabay and it was the right colour and had the headstock that I wanted.

IMG_0371.JPG

Now to guess what it is. Ref The Wiki

Headtock indicates 1988.

Not an S200, not routed for 2 humbuckers.

Not an S300, only 21 frets.

S210 was way after 1988.

S310 had 22 frets again.

S500+ looks like the neck had the sharkstooth inlays.

So I'm guessing an S400 without the optional Floyd and locking nut.

The pickguard and pickups aren't original but I can see the original outline on the body. Going to get a pal to make me a new one from acrylic on his laser cutter, but will keep posted on my plans for that later.

Before I put this one on the backburner, I had to investigate the huge black hole like chasm between the neck and the body.

Took it apart and found a 40 thou strip of plastic that was there to set the neck at the correct angle. I guess EPI's machining has improved since this guitar was made?

IMG_0363.JPG

(It's the white bit of plastic not the black [flapper] . It was just so thick.)

This really bugged me so out it came, checked the neck and the angle was so bad that it really did need something like this.

Not settling for bits of shim I took out my trusty chisels and rasp.

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

Looking a lot better.

IMG_0370.JPG

Next job will be performing a complete fret levelling/dressing.

Will keep you posted.

Btw. Any comments in identifying the S series would be appreciated.

Latest update.

The neck is fixed and doesn't need a complete fret dress. [thumbup]

I got to work on the bannana shaped neck and found that the truss rod nut was not tightned. After a few days of tightening it slowly so the neck has a small amount of relief, adjusting the string action to between 1.5mm on the top E to 2mm on the bottom, I only found 2 frets that need a slight trimming.

Plugged it in to see how it played, and was amazed. The neck played like butter. Best neck on any of my guitars.

Oddly enough the "unknown origin" ceramic pickups on it really sounded good, very hot and bluesy too.

I'll update photos with the neck cleaning and finishing when I take the strings off, which will be when replace this little problem.

This looks like a squier bridge fitted as a replacement, the outer screws are huge, prolly the next size down from those on Aoresteen's red one, and stick through the other side. dunno why a previous owner added the 2 little screws whit those in place.

IMG_0377.JPG

Horrible cast zinc trem block too.

IMG_0379.JPG

Starting to think about replacements now, I want to keep the 52.5/53mm string spacing and the post spacing seems to be 53mm. Thinking about a trem fixing style that would also cover up those extra two holes.

This looks like a squier bridge fitted as a replacement, the outer screws are huge, prolly the next size down from those on Aoresteen's red one, and stick through the other side. dunno why a previous owner added the 2 little screws whit those in place.

IMG_0377.JPG

Horrible cast zinc trem block too.

IMG_0379.JPG

Starting to think about replacements now, I want to keep the 52.5/53mm string spacing and the post spacing seems to be 53mm. Thinking about a trem fixing style that would also cover up those extra two holes.

You may want to try one of these. I've used them on 2 different guitars and they are a very good bridge. You will have to fill in the screw holes and drill 2, 3/8 inch holes for the inserts, but the bridge should hide the holes that are there now.

GFS Trem Bridge

You may want to try one of these. I've used them on 2 different guitars and they are a very good bridge. You will have to fill in the screw holes and drill 2, 3/8 inch holes for the inserts, but the bridge should hide the holes that are there now.

GFS Trem Bridge

Any idea of the string spacing on it? [confused] I'm looking for 52/53mm

Happy new project day to me. [thumbup]

Got this off Fleabay and it was the right colour and had the headstock that I wanted.

Now to guess what it is. Ref The Wiki

Headtock indicates 1988.

Not an S200, not routed for 2 humbuckers.

Not an S300, only 21 frets.

S210 was way after 1988.

S310 had 22 frets again.

S500+ looks like the neck had the sharkstooth inlays.

So I'm guessing an S400 without the optional Floyd and locking nut.

It is a 1988 S-310. With that particular fretboard and headstock, the only possibilities are S-300 or 310. The S-400 was only available with a maple fingerboard. 1988 was the only year with that headstock.

The number of frets isnt really a model indicator. Some of them had 21 frets and some had 22. I'm not sure why, but it may have to do with the production year or whether or not the guitar was part of a Starter Pack. I have pics of S-300's & 310's with both 21 and 22 frets.

The major difference between the S-300 & S-310 in 1988 was the bridge. 1988 was the first year of the S-310 and had a 2-point tremolo. The S-300 had a 6-screw vintage tremolo or a Bennder tremolo with a locknut. By 1989, the S-300 & 310 both had 2-point tremolos.

Looking at your pics, it looks like the bridge is a replacement and used to have a 2-point bridge due to the lack of screw holes. So you actually have a first-year S-310.

What does the sticker on the back of the neck-heel say? That should have the actual model number on it.

EDIT: Also, the pic of the 1988 S-310 in the wiki is actually an S-300. That is the pic that Epiphone used for the 1988 S-310 catalog entry. The catalog specs claim a fulcrum tremolo, but the pic is clearly a vintage-style, hence an S-300 stock photo for the S-310 catalog entry. This type of thing is not uncommon for older Epiphone catalogs. Every other pic of 1988 S-310's that I have seen, have all had 2-point fulcrums.

Not much help with the sticker I'm afraid [crying]

Here you go: Its hard to read, but its there. I lined up my letters with the existing remnants of the model number.

S310WH.jpg

Also, I agree. The necks on these earlier S-series guitars are fantastic. Truly the best part of the guitar.

Archived