Gibson Brands Forums

Music By Commitee

Buc McMaster

As I noted last week, I had planned to do a studio session with some folks, recording a couple tunes just for the heck of it. We were scheduled for 1PM last Sunday, so on Saturday I began calling all parties involved to confirm the date. The engineer was ready to go......we discussed a few details and looked forward to the next afternoon. My original choice for second guitar is a very busy man and he had been replaced by a hired gun I had not yet met but came with a serious pedigree. Banjo (yes....banjo!) on Stones of Circumstance and dobro on Helldorado. Perfect! He was very enthused having viewed the tunes on YouTube and was ready to go. The second voice, a woman that had been one of two singers in my last band, was the last call, mid-afternoon on Saturday. "Oh. I was going to call you......I have to work." What?!? Less than 24 hours prior you're bailing out on me?!? After I've got studio time booked and a $100/hour session guy on the hook?!? What?!?! I did not want to spend money on a studio production of tunes I've already made a home recording of unless it could be something above and beyond. Adding just a second instrument did not qualify as above and beyond in my book. So, with a bit of egg on my face, I made the calls to cancel the session. [blush] Damn. Yesterday I tried to reassemble a crew for a couple weeks out with no joy.

So, in light of the PITA factor of corralling a compliment of appropriate players, I have shelved the idea for now. It was, afterall, just for fun and I wasn't having any. Music by commitee is an iffy proposition at best.....at it's worse it's a real bummer. Another day, perhaps.

Sorry to hear this – I know the feeling of building up and then having to cancel. What annoys me, is the fact you didn't manage to re-schedule – something is wrong there. Which may tell you they weren't the right folks anyway.

I shall not advice a veteran, but maybe you should re-group, , , and aim for another session in the pre-summer, summer or even fall.

My lesson from playing all these years = Frustrations can go as deep as joy and satisfaction can go high.

"Music is worth all the pain. . . "

Graham Nash

Buc, sorry your plans fell through, since you cant get everyone together, have you thought about recording the songs you want, then sending them electronic to the other people and let them add their parts then mix.

I know its not the same, but it will get the job done

Yep! My sentiments run deep also! I missed the Helldorado song on your original post. Picked it up on this one though....And "Holy Jesus".... what a great song and performance! You got talent! Sweet... [thumbup] And never,never,never get rid of that Hummingbird....What a beautifull sound. I can tell that YA'll have bonded [cool]

RRod

Buc, sorry your plans fell through, since you cant get everyone together, have you thought about recording the songs you want, then sending them electronic to the other people and let them add their parts then mix.

I know its not the same, but it will get the job done

Yeah, it's not the same. I really want a live, video recorded session. There's magic in a live performance that dubbing parts cannot recreate, no matter how skilled the engineer behind the board. Didn't lose any money on the deal, just some cred with the dobro player I hired (but no play, no pay!). The guy that owns the studio is an old friend........he and I have spent many a night tweaking recordings in years gone by, and he's good to go pretty much anytime I can get players gathered up. The thing is the players I want are high-profile guys on a local/regional scene and it's hard to find spots in their schedules that match up. I suppose I will try again sometime this year, but honestly it's just a kicks thing, nothing more important than that. I'd just like to leave some high quality recordings behind of some of my stuff. Guess it'll keep for awhile longer.......

Thank you all for your encouragement!!! And, BK, I'm sure it's me that is most disappointed at losing the session.........thanks!

EDIT: This is a studio recording of Helldorado, made in perhaps 2006, that is all overdubbing........every track. I recorded a guitar track with my old Gretsch 6120 along with a scratch vocal, then, playing a fine old upright bass right in the control room, Jack put down a great bottom for it all. Same day, Jack added a nylon string guitar part that was so excellent throughout I removed my electric guitar track completely. Another pass and Jack again played a tasteful, sweet solo on the same guitar. A week or two later, I hired an accordion player and man was he good! Met him at the session, can't remember his name and haven't seen him since........that's his little grunt near the end of the recording. Another week, maybe two or three, and a percussionist arrived to do a part. I never met the guy.....couldn't make the session......so his tracks are totally his and Jack's work. Again, great stuff.....listen for the conga in the left ear. The weakest track is mine - the vocal!

Now wouldn't this be sooooo much better if it were live and videoed?

I'm sure it's me that is most disappointed at losing the session

I'll save the forum from an argument and yield to your statement. But if I'm not the most disappointed, then at a minimum I count myself amongst the top 2.

Not to minimize your bad news Buc. I'm really sorry to learn that you weren't able to pull this off. Hopefully there will be another chance in the not too distant future.

Regardless, I'll still look forward to all of the solo works that you might choose to share with us.

Crap :(

EDIT: This is a studio recording of Helldorado, made in perhaps 2006, that is all overdubbing........every track. I recorded a guitar track with my old Gretsch 6120 along with a scratch vocal, then, playing a fine old upright bass right in the control room, Jack put down a great bottom for it all. Same day, Jack added a nylon string guitar part that was so excellent throughout I removed my electric guitar track completely. Another pass and Jack again played a tasteful, sweet solo on the same guitar. A week or two later, I hired an accordion player and man was he good! Met him at the session, can't remember his name and haven't seen him since........that's his little grunt near the end of the recording. Another week, maybe two or three, and a percussionist arrived to do a part. I never met the guy.....couldn't make the session......so his tracks are totally his and Jack's work. Again, great stuff.....listen for the conga in the left ear. The weakest track is mine - the vocal!

Now wouldn't this be sooooo much better if it were live and videoed?

Great - I was half expecting Marty Robbins to jump in for a verse

Archived