Gibson Brands Forums

Boom.

Dub-T-123

It's dark right now so these pics aren't very good but check out this pedal I built today.

photo-1976.jpg

photo-1386.jpg

It's a point to point wired clone of the DAM Meathead. The Meathead is basically a one-knob silicon Fuzz Face with a BC182L and a 2N3904 for transistors. It's a big fat juicy slab of fuzz.

I could have posted in my DIY thread but I'm really excited about this pedal and that thread is too hard to find.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a quick IPhone demo of me doing some sloppy imitation blues wankery with the Meathead.

I'm also using my Super Hard On boosting the Meathead a bit and my El Capistan for the obligatory blues wank subtle delay sound. This is with a tiny solid state amp that's barely turned up so it doesn't make my iPhone mic clip. It sounds beefier though a proper amp.

I just listened to that clip again and now that it's not 2 in the morning I realize that sounds pretty bad compared to how it sounds in person. You'll just have to take my word on it that it sounds completely amazing in real life haha

I can't record a decent clip to save my life

The OD always serves me well. How is yours treating you now that you've had it for a while?

I think you'd dig the Meathead in real life. It's Si but it kicks ***. It actually uses some small caps and resistors across the base and collector of each transistor to simulate the "leakage" of germanium transistors. So the clipping is "softer" more like a Ge fuzz. I think that's such a brilliant idea and it totally works like a charm. Awesome

The OD always serves me well. How is yours treating you now that you've had it for a while?

I think you'd dig the Meathead in real life. It's Si but it kicks ***. It actually uses some small caps and resistors across the base and collector of each transistor to simulate the "leakage" of germanium transistors. So the clipping is "softer" more like a Ge fuzz. I think that's such a brilliant idea and it totally works like a charm. Awesome

Meathead - I liked the sounds I heard. Nice and gritty without too much mud.

My OD is great. I need to do some recording so I can gauge how I have it set up (enough highs, not too much lows). I love running it into my OD808 for a more over the top sound. Because it is so unlike my OD808 I get a whole new pallet of sounds.

Very nice. How have you been setting yours?

I always leave the high-cut off (all the way up) and I think it has the perfect amount of treble and bass that way. I don't always roll with the volume turned all the way up like it is in that pic though. Those settings are ridiculously loud! I don't usually have the gain up that high either.

The Meathead just begs for me to turn it and everything else all the way up and rock out though, so who am I to deny it.

Nice. Dig the turret board. If it sounds that good through the little solid state amp, I bet it's sick through a tube amp.

Thanks! You're too kind. Not just a little solid state amp, but a little solid state amp with the volume set as low as I could get it while still making sound. It actually sounds pretty awesome with that amp turned all the way up, but yeah a nice tube amp makes a world of a difference.

You should build one of these, mang! You probably already have most of the parts in your stash.

I just started working on a mojo Ge Fuzz Face too. I'm really excited about that one. I got some really nice parts for it.

You should build one of these, mang! You probably already have most of the parts in your stash.

Yeah, I'm feeling it. I was just looking at the layout link you posted. Did you buy the little turret board prefab from somewhere?

Yeah, I'm feeling it. I was just looking at the layout link you posted. Did you buy the little turret board prefab from somewhere?

I bought the turret from my buddy over at a stompbox forum. If you check out turretboards.com, they have everything you need including tools if you want to make your own. You can also find that stuff on eBay.

I could also send you a link to some Meathead vero layouts too.

You might want to use bigger input and output caps if you use a bright amp though. D*A*M makes a "dark" version and you might want to use those specs depending on your amp. You can also always wire those on a switch to change it on the fly too.

Very nice. How have you been setting yours?

I always leave the high-cut off (all the way up) and I think it has the perfect amount of treble and bass that way. I don't always roll with the volume turned all the way up like it is in that pic though. Those settings are ridiculously loud! I don't usually have the gain up that high either.

The Meathead just begs for me to turn it and everything else all the way up and rock out though, so who am I to deny it.

Fuzz should be played LOUDLY!

In regards to my F word settings, I'll take a photo tomorrow at rehearsal.

Archived