Gibson Brands Forums

Hunting for a new amp

rockman82

I'm searching for a new amplifier, and I'm looking at a Marshall MG250DFX. Has anyone ever used one before? I have a pretty low budget(parents are selling their piano for $1000. most is going to house repairs and credit cards). It looks like a decent 100 watt amp, and is much better than my little 38ish watt Fender amp. So what are some other good low budget amps out there?

Look at Older Crate amps. Anything built before 2000 or so. I have a GFX 65 i picked up in a pawn shop for $60.00 bucks. It I love how it sounds with metal and hard rock. also the clean channel is great and it has built in effects.. I know it is only 65 watts but it was way loauder than my old Marshall MG50DFX.... So i sold the marshall and kept the Crate... Everything Built before 2000 or 2001 was built in the U.S.A. now everything is built in china. I bought one of the new FW120H and i had to return it 3 times to get a good one that works and then i started having problems with it and sent it back.. Now i do have a couple of there vintage club tube amps also... Anyway hope this helps...

I'm not a big fan of the Marshall MX series and it's hard to find a good Marshall tube amp under $500, so...

an awesome budget amp head would be an old Carvin X100B - back in the day it was a Marshall Killer.

I'm a Marshall fan but still loved the X100B I owned, beast of an amp. Usually found used for $350-$400.

If you're looking for a combo - some great used deals on Fender Hot Rod DeVilles, great combo that takes pedals well.

My budget is VERY small. Maybe 200-250. I'm definitely going for used. The Marshall I've been looking at is 199. And I'm not into heavy metal or anything like that, so I'm not really expecting a heavy sound from the amp. I might look into Vox if I can find anything reasonable.

And I have to settle for a combo right now. I could by a head, but I can't afford to buy a cabinet to go with it, so I'm kinda sol there.

My budget is VERY small. Maybe 200-250. I'm definitely going for used. The Marshall I've been looking at is 199. And I'm not into heavy metal or anything like that, so I'm not really expecting a heavy sound from the amp. I might look into Vox if I can find anything reasonable.

And I have to settle for a combo right now. I could by a head, but I can't afford to buy a cabinet to go with it, so I'm kinda sol there.

Oh, I got you. You still can get lucky on used Carvin stuff in your budget (Combos,heads,cabinets). Great quality amps but for some reason don't have squat for resale value, so that means a big WIN for the player on a budget in need of a good amp.

Good Luck!

You might try a Vox Night Train or Li'l Night Train. They're relatively inexpensive (made in Vietnam), all-tube, low wattage amps. They are plenty loud though. I suspect a used one would fit your budget.

The Marshall MGs I've heard have pretty crappy distortion, although I'm sure some like it.

I'll agree with Cabba about the X-100B (or any Carvin, really). I'd also suggest searching for (you may not find one ANYWHERE) an early 80s Ampeg V-7. Another Marshall killer. I'd put it up against any 2203. You can probably find a Peavey 5150/6505 or Triple XXX for under $500. Or, if you're handy with a soldering iron, build an amp from a kit. Ceriatone has many great options, particularly their Marshall Silver Jubilee clone. That and a good Les Paul style guitar is Bonamassa up the rear.

Oh, I got you. You still can get lucky on used Carvin stuff in your budget (Combos,heads,cabinets). Great quality amps but for some reason don't have squat for resale value, so that means a big WIN for the player on a budget in need of a good amp.

Good Luck!

Yeah my buddy got an old carpet covered x100b half stack with the matching 4x12 for $250. Can you believe that? It's such a sweet sounding amp too. I mean you could easily pay well over $1000 for an American made tube amp of that quality.

I would definitely recommend going for a used tube amp for that money.

I recently picked up a VOX Ac15 and I could not be happier. With the on board Trem and Reverb its hard to beat.

Takes pedals well and single coil if that's your thing.

I played everything and keep coming back to the VOX.

Maybe an AC4 for your budget

Good Luck!

Archived