Gibson Brands Forums

Humiliate the Other Guy

heymisterk

So if your at a club and you get asked to jam with the house band do you quiz each one first before getting up to play?msp_flapper.gif

PS: You would never have jammed with the Beatles then.

/nod ,other peeps knowin how to read music doesnt concern me,just know where you're supossed to be and when to be there,other than that,have at it !!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't be humiliated. I literally have no shame in admitting I'm worse than someone. The fact is, I play for fun. Would I like a band? Yes, but not if it takes the fun out of playing or jamming with friends.

The only thing I've really got going for me, in terms of flare is the ability to play with my teeth. Nothing else. Wows people at school every time though.

The guy I did this too was a total jerk and all talk. Slamming me for everything I did or stood for; I had already competed in Tops in Blues a few times and took 3rd place in a few shows. This persons total mission in his life was to belittle not just me but everyone. I do everything possible to work with other musicians and I can learn from even the newbe's since they don't have the bad habits I do and they usually have a very fresh outlook; thus they don't know the rules yet so they try anything. This guy was a huge jerk; called me out and tried his best to put me down or show off his talents. So please don't think I do this regularly because I do not. In fact I have been tasked by Keesler AFB to assist in judging the Tops in Blues talent shows coming this summer. They have also asked me to assist with the show and help the younger guys with their acts. I humbly accepted their offer to help. So please don't take my comment as how I usually operate; since I am not like this normally and in over 3 decades one time does not make me one who does this often....

No no I'm sorry if it sounded that way. My Bad. He was just asking why someone would do it and knew you had posted why you did it earlier.

I should have left that up to you. Forgive me. sad.gif

In all honesty the only ones who really care about note for note playing are other musicians; people heading out to watch a band for the most part could care less.

This is the gospel truth. [thumbup] I can still remember the guitar players rushing to the stage to watch me attempt difficult solos then retreating to the back of the room with arms crossed for the rest of the set! The people clapping you on the back at the end of the night and buying you drinks usually aren't the musicians, but the "normal" folk you made happy with your playing.

So if your at a club and you get asked to jam with the house band do you quiz each one first before getting up to play?msp_flapper.gif

PS: You would never have jammed with the Beatles then.

I dont get up and jam with people I dont rehearse with.... that's the way I am.

As for the Beatles I would certainly watch them jam, but I wouldn't join in nor would I ask to. They wouldn't even know I even played an instrument.

when I go to watch bands, that's all I do

In all honesty the only ones who really care about note for note playing are other musicians; people heading out to watch a band for the most part could care less. Except for certain leads on very famous tunes...

Not true....

I think you're under estimating people that go to see live music. Most dont pay $20 plus dollars to see ok performances. When I play out I never take it for granted that anyone listening is going to be okay with the band I'm playing with making mistakes.

Me knowing that I hit a bad note is a guarantee that 1 out of 3 people listening heard the same mistake [scared]

I dont get up and jam with people I dont rehearse with.... that's the way I am.

As for the Beatles I would certainly watch them jam, but I wouldn't join in nor would I ask to. They wouldn't even know I even played an instrument.

when I go to watch bands, that's all I do

okie dokie

My Beatles comment was directed to the fact that none of the fabs read music. So you wouldn't have played with them.

Guess I just come from a different era or community of musicians. The spontaneity of an impromptu jam was both frightening and exhilarating.

Not to mention a lot of FUN.

Something I learned in Tops in Blues (Air Force Band), its 75% presentation and 25% of actually playing the material. Flair is a great way to entertain, and its something that would easily fall into the 75%. Add in a couple of the Pete T moves from the Who and your almost there.... [thumbup]

In all honesty the only ones who really care about note for note playing are other musicians; people heading out to watch a band for the most part could care less. Except for certain leads on very famous tunes...

If I open my one man sets with Ode To Joy on with my teeth, the people keep coming. My largest crowd so far has been about 40 peers. It's maybe 20 seconds of playing at max, but people stop and stare, then listen. Also, the school security loves me. I keep the lunch-eaters under control.

I've got a drummer with no drive, a bassist with no amp, and myself. So I've almost got a band, but I don't think it'l happen.

okie dokie

My Beatles comment was directed to the fact that none of the fabs read music. So you wouldn't have played with them.

Guess I just come from a different era or community of musicians. The spontaneity of an impromptu jam was both frightening and exhilarating.

Not to mention a lot of FUN.

Paul, George and Ringo can read music [confused] ..... Ringo played trumpet

Most any guitar player can make me look bad... If I had started playing as a kid I'm sure I'd have great chops now but picking up the guitar late in life sets limitations. The fact is that I do it for enjoyment and I have been lucky to find that most musicians want to help and are very encouraging...

Paul definitely can't read music as he had to hire a composer/conductor to transcribe the notes to the symphony that the wrote several years ago.I recall reading many times that John and George couldn'd read music either,other than being able to name the notes on the guitar and keyboards-which most musicians can do whether they can read or not anyway.

Paul definitely can't read music as he had to hire a composer/conductor to transcribe the notes to the symphony that the wrote several years ago.I recall reading many times that John and George couldn'd read music either,other than being able to name the notes on the guitar and keyboards-which most musicians can do whether they can read or not anyway.

When your as talented as those four dudes you dont need to read music, and plus they had George Martin..... They're just on whole other plane

When your as talented as those four dudes you dont need to read music, and plus they had George Martin..... They're just on whole other plane

Don't need George Martin or reading music to jam dude.

I would totally jam with you. You would like it. Jamming does the soul good.

Don't need George Martin or reading music to jam dude.

I would totally jam with you. You would like it. Jamming does the soul good.

I'm not a jammer.....

I like rehearsal then presenting.... If you were to call me I would ask you what songs you wanted me to learn. I would then ask which songs I'm playing lead on, singing lead on, and which back up vocals you wanted me to learn. I would show up to rehearsal and have everything learned... I would also bring a music stand and some staff paper just in case you wanted some changes.... And I would hope you would be able to express your changes coherently musically. And then I would notate them on the staff paper, and execute.

I dont ever just jump on stage with anyone and start jamming.... I'm just not that type of player.... 90% of my leads I have ever laid down were written musically before rehearsing them. Some times I notated three different leads, and the lead singer picked the one she liked, and that would be the one I would expand upon

I'm not a jammer.....

I like rehearsal then presenting.... If you were to call me I would ask you what songs you wanted me to learn. I would then ask which songs I'm playing lead on, singing lead on, and which back up vocals you wanted me to learn. I would show up to rehearsal and have everything learned... I would also bring a music stand and some staff paper just in case you wanted some changes.... And I would hope you would be able to express your changes coherently musically. And then I would notate them on the staff paper, and execute.

I dont ever just jump on stage with anyone and start jamming.... I'm just not that type of player.... 90% of my leads I have ever laid down were written musically before rehearsing them. Some times I notated three different leads, and the lead singer picked the one she liked, and that would be the one I would expand upon

I get it, honest. You have a work ethic. Many "musicians" don't, and many don't get what you are even talking about. Just READING about it brings back some good memories, and good feelings. I have NO DOUBT you know how to fill the spot, or put it together. I'd work with that in a heartbeat.

THEN WE WOULD JAM!! You know you want to.

I get it, honest. You have a work ethic. Many "musicians" don't, and many don't get what you are even talking about. Just READING about it brings back some good memories, and good feelings. I have NO DOUBT you know how to fill the spot, or put it together. I'd work with that in a heartbeat.

THEN WE WOULD JAM!! You know you want to.

LOL!!! I'll have some free time very soon

I'm almost done with my 6 song demo, and my daughter is now playing high school softball, (she made JV as a freshman and she's stoked). I told her when she started high school she was on her own with sports and music, and I was done coaching her. I had been coaching her since she was 8 years old. Actually now that she has to push herself, she is much more focused and is learning what direction to take when she has to make a crucial decision.

I gotta tell you it feels great not having to pick up a boat load a girls and go to practice, prepare for games, and weekends are just bye bye for seven months.... Though I enjoyed it, I couldn't be happier that it's all done and over with [biggrin] .

Back in the mid 70s to early 80s several local clubs used to bring in top notch acts from mainland Canada and the US and I used to go and jam with most of them. One band that I got up to jam with was an all-black soul/funk group called the Glenn Ricketts Show.When they gave the call for anyone to come up and jam I went up and they asked what I was going to play and I said Red House,we went through that just great and the audience apparently really liked it judging from the applause.For my next number I did Foxy Lady but about half way through the second verse the bass player and drummer picked up the tempo to a ridiculous speed,with that the keyboard player turned on them and told them to" %$#((*&^% and let the man play." I have never backed down from a jam and have jammed with some pretty heavy pro acts,to me,the better they are the better you become as you give it your absolute best shot so you don't end up being the one humiliated.

Archived