Gibson Brands Forums

Humiliate the Other Guy

heymisterk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm playing along with someone with less ability I'll always play such that they can still join in and enjoy themselves.

Why would any decent person want to humiliate anyone?

An ad which promotes this attitude would ensure I'd never buy the company's product.

P.

Wait a second. In the last week we have had how many "This guy is over rated" and "Jimi was the greatest of all time!" and yet you guys can't understand the concept of guitar playing as a compition ? Hell, we have guys on here that won't listen to a guitarist because he plays with the wrong pedal or with a solid state amp or because his record was recoded after 1990 and used a compressor or because he plays a blue guitar! Every time some moron magazine puts out a Top 100 or Worst 100 list player go nuts shouting "But my favorite isn't on there!".

While I personally don't see music and playing as competition it not hard for me to believe that others do. I see it every day.

If I'm playing along with someone with less ability I'll always play such that they can still join in and enjoy themselves.

I agree totally, as much as I like Hendrix he was sort of a dickwad when it came to other guitar players, Stevie Ray on the other hand, as brilliant as he was would always let they other guy shine for he had nothing to prove...either way RIP to both of them........................altho, in Jimi's defense it could be that being a Black performer back then he may have felt he had to do more to overcome opinions...who knows.

Makes me think of a story I heard once.

Country music Hall of Fame member Lester Flatt wasn't the best guitar player. That was no secret. One time he was backstage at a festival and was listening to guitar players go on and on about who was a great guitarist, who had the best and most expensive guitar, etc. Lester finally got up out of his chair, walked over to the table and said, "Well,...I'll just put this money making son of a *@#$ back in the case."

Lester-1

The Rest-0

[tongue]

An ad which promotes this attitude would ensure I'd never buy the company's product.

P.

I agree, humiliating someone's ability on guitar is not what we play guitar for, just saying...

P.

I like this additude.

The mark of a good musician or guitar player is how GOOD you can make the others in the band sound, not how bad.

If in the corse of a performance, one can make another sound their best, (or heck, better than they are!), or make EVERYONE'S abilities seem good, THAT is the measure that makes one guitarist superior to another (if we are going to measure).

Makes me think of a story I heard once. ... Lester finally got up out of his chair, walked over to the table and said, "Well,...I'll just put this money making son of a *@#$ back in the case."

Classic! Thanks for sharing that one.

That's awesome. I haven't seen that movie since it came out on VHS! That's so 80's... Ralph Machio going all "Yngwie" on Steve Vai. Hilarious.

It is hilarious that you can tell they increased the speed of the tape while he is playing and that Steve Vai has to purposely hold back to lose.

Archived