Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar?

Work in Progress

I have 3 v's and i think you should play one at your local music store if you plan on sitting down to play <not gigging> try it for 1 hour and play.IMO they are great for playing live,but if you're getting this to play at home <only> or you dont stand when you play,it will be very awkward getting comfortable sitting down playing a V.Just my two cents.

I have 3 v's and i think you should play one at your local music store if you plan on sitting down to play <not gigging> try it for 1 hour and play.IMO they are great for playing live,but if you're getting this to play at home <only> or you dont stand when you play,it will be very awkward getting comfortable sitting down playing a V.Just my two cents.

I have nothing but great things to say about the sounds of the V but I've only heard bad things about the practicality of one as a residential guitar. For example, sitting while playing a V causes a funky balance of the guitar as well as finding a stand that it doesn't sit awkwardly on. I will definitely buy a V at some point, just not sure when.

Dont get me wrong,my last purchase was a jackson v from MF's scratch and dent,it had an edge of one fret puling up and 3 or 4 discolored frets,$165,couldnt walk away from the "buy now" ,got the frets reglued and leveld off <$45> it is the ideal "stage" guitar,lighter than hell,access to all frets easily,and just outright bad a**.I was just givin the heads up on the awkwardness of playing one sitting [thumbup]

I put down the 339... but the Midtown is a likely second place shot.

Me? I'd do the 335, but you're used to smaller guitars judging from your list, and those two likely would feel more comfortable. The 339 should be more "woody" and "guitar-y" in tone than the other.

Okay, why? Solidbodies are solidbodies. Yes, an LP will have somewhat different response compared to an SG - in fact, different LPs will be somewhat different responses too.

But for a different tone and feel, a semi can be awfully versatile. The 335 to me is that much closer to a hollow in sound and feel than the 339 or Midtown, but it may feel awfully clunky to someone "raised" on solidbodies.

Even the 339 should have that somehow "wider" sound that's a bit more lyrical than a board. Even the Midtown, although I've not seen or heard one in a way I'd consider would give me a valid opinion.

Each guitar style will have a somewhat different personality, and each guitar within a given style will also have its own personality albeit in a more limited spectrum.

That's why I have an SG type, a semi and a couple full hollows, plus 4 piezo AEs and a mag pickup flattop 12...

So... consider another thing: How about a decent flattop AE, either 6 or 12-string? Either would take getting used to, but..

m

I put down the 339... but the Midtown is a likely second place shot.

Me? I'd do the 335, but you're used to smaller guitars judging from your list, and those two likely would feel more comfortable. The 339 should be more "woody" and "guitar-y" in tone than the other.

Okay, why? Solidbodies are solidbodies. Yes, an LP will have somewhat different response compared to an SG - in fact, different LPs will be somewhat different responses too.

But for a different tone and feel, a semi can be awfully versatile. The 335 to me is that much closer to a hollow in sound and feel than the 339 or Midtown, but it may feel awfully clunky to someone "raised" on solidbodies.

Even the 339 should have that somehow "wider" sound that's a bit more lyrical than a board. Even the Midtown, although I've not seen or heard one in a way I'd consider would give me a valid opinion.

Each guitar style will have a somewhat different personality, and each guitar within a given style will also have its own personality albeit in a more limited spectrum.

That's why I have an SG type, a semi and a couple full hollows, plus 4 piezo AEs and a mag pickup flattop 12...

So... consider another thing: How about a decent flattop AE, either 6 or 12-string? Either would take getting used to, but..

m

For me if i was looking for a guitar like that it would be the 336 with the more Les Paul size body.. I will have one... one day :)

Yes, I've played them all but the thread is which one would you buy.... and a toddler banging on pots and pans makes sweeter music than me. [lol]

IMHO, the Classic Custom is the best buy at the moment. Also, if you have $3000.00 to spend you'll only need about $1800.00 for the Classic Custom and still have about $1200.00 left over, and that can get you an SG Standard too!!!! [biggrin]

Archived