Gibson Brands Forums

Need Looper Pedal Explanation

Rocky4

To the best of my knowledge, a looper pedal is an effect that records, or samples a riff or bit of playing and repeats it over and over giving the player something to play over. Amirite?

(more questions to follow as answers come in)

So you play, hit a switch and it samples what you're playing? It seems like getting the timing correct would be next to impossible.

It easier than it sounds actually, you lay down a groove and off you go on top of it. SImilar to setting up a drum pattern to play over on a drum machine if you've ever used one.

It easier than it sounds actually, you lay down a groove and off you go on top of it. SImilar to setting up a drum pattern to play over on a drum machine if you've ever used one.

For example, could I play a simple riff, sample it while playing, and have it continue on while I play over it?

So you play, hit a switch and it samples what you're playing? It seems like getting the timing correct would be next to impossible.

Eh. You hit the switch at the same time as you start playing and then hit it again when you want the loop to end/repeat. It takes practice and it's extremely difficult to use with a drummer, but it's and acquired skill like anything else and it just takes practice. But yeah unless your loop is so blurred with delay and reverb that it's just an atmospheric wash and the actual timing isn't that apparent/important you'll pretty much never use it successfully with a drummer/band. If you can, you are absolutely amazing to me. In a band context it's mostly useful for ambient backdrops.

If you're using some kindof midi controller that controls a drum machine and your looper then obviously the timing wouldn't be a problem

Yes, and also alot of pedals quantises the recording for you and puts it in time.... so if its a bit out it will sort that out for you (timing wise)..

like what this guy does alot.. gets a rhythm going and then leads over it

They actually have looping contests.. check this dude out (it gets really good about 1:45 ;)).. Just search Boss looping contest on youtube, loads of cool stuff out there :)

Guest farnsbarns

Most loopers quanatise the moment you hit start and stop so some inaccuracy is not a problem. Check out GregsGuitars on YT, he uses his boss a lot and he gets the timing perfect because the pedal quanatises the timing for him

They actually have looping contests.. check this dude out.. Just search Boss looping contest on youtube, loads of cool stuff out there :)

He came in 2nd? Gotta tell you, a little board with that guy until about 1:45, then it was pretty cool. :-)

Most loopers quanatise the moment you hit start and stop so some inaccuracy is not a problem. Check out GregsGuitars on YT, he uses his boss a lot and he gets the timing perfect because the pedal quanatises the timing for him

Nope I think he just gets it right because he knows how to. Trust me whether you have "quanatizing" or not the slight timing issues become apparent when you add in a band. It's usually not the beginning or end that are the problem it's what's in between.

He came in 2nd? Gotta tell you, a little board with that guy until about 1:45, then it was pretty cool. :-)

Haha, yeah i put a warning in there now cos it is a bit normal till that point ;)

Grand Prize Winner 2010

Nope I think he just gets it right because he knows how to. Trust me whether you have "quanatizing" or not the slight timing issues become apparent when you add in a band. It's usually not the beginning or end that are the problem it's what's in between.

I agree with you.. Timing is really important.. But these are great for jamming alone, just so quick and easy to do its a nice gadget but wont ever replace real hard practice to get tight in a band.

Archived