Gibson Brands Forums

Great amp pairing for an ES

TinyBabyBrandon

So as some of you guys know I have blackface Fender Pro Reverb amp, and that, for the most part is my main amp, both in my band and in my music room, however recently there's been a funky resonance thing going on with certain notes and I have to take it in to get fixed, and until then, I just can't stand to play it with this problem, so I've reverted to my '68 Fender Champ. I also am playing my 335 which I recently got, and let me tell you, this combination is absolutely stellar! I was playing the champ quite a bit before I got my Pro Reverb and since then I've kind of just let the champ fall to the wayside. I mean it doesn't have any reverb, and I like a little reverb, also I was playing, at that time, with my SG, which is a great guitar, but just did not have as much magic with the Champ. For whatever reason the Champ is just so great with the 335. I have it cranked to about 7 and with the volume on the guitar at about 6 it just has the best jazz sound! So smooth and resonant and full. Just a fantastic overall sound. In the middle position with both pickups blended evenly it is a freaking wet dream. I have been playing for hours and hours on end with this combination and I just can't get enough. When I turn the volume on the guitar up all the way, it really rips! It's actually getting a pretty good Jimmy Page sound, really really awesome. It doesn't hurt that to make up for the lack of the reverb I am using a little of my memory man between the guitar and the amp. That thing sounds pretty good too. I'd have to say, for the money you can't beat a vintage Champ, especially for an ES model. Man it's sweet and I got mine for about $300, so if your looking for an affordable and inspiring amp, GET ONE!

Guest EastEnder

In my experience, Fender circuitry leans toward a brightness that's perfect for humbuckers. I recently picked up the 15-watt NOS Blues Jr. for my occasional Vegas blues jams and it's an ideal pairing for any of my humbucker guitars. And it's light. For more power I use my home-built 57 low-power twin clone and it performs equally well. For the single coil fenders I use darker amps (Mesa, actually).

Glad to hear you've hit the sweet spot with the Champ. I've always found that using Fenders through Marshall and Gibsons through Fender keeps everything balanced.

See if it's just the rectifier tube. (Is the blackface a tube rectifier?)

My Mesa was doing that and it was the GZ34. Only did it on an A note.

Best of luck.

Thanks Murph, Yeah, it's a tube rectifier. I replaced one of the power tubes, as it was having this same problem a couple of months ago, also changed out a couple of the caps and reconed one of the the speakers as it was in pretty rough shape. It took care of the problem for a little bit, but now its back, on the second lowest G note and the higher G's. It's really weird how its just that specific note. So was it the entire rectifier, or just the tube? I really hope it's not the rectifier, that would be a disaster.

Thanks Murph, Yeah, it's a tube rectifier. I replaced one of the power tubes, as it was having this same problem a couple of months ago, also changed out a couple of the caps and reconed one of the the speakers as it was in pretty rough shape. It took care of the problem for a little bit, but now its back, on the second lowest G note and the higher G's. It's really weird how its just that specific note. So was it the entire rectifier, or just the tube? I really hope it's not the rectifier, that would be a disaster.

Op, just reread your post. I see that you said tube. thanks!

I have been on the prowl for an older Champ or Princeton for a while now and hope to snag one for the very same reason. Tight now I have a Deluxe Reverb and it too sounds great with my ES-355.

It's really amazing how the pricing just skyrockets for the Princetons, which is really kind of baffling to me. It's bigger, sure, but still too small to be used within a band context, and it does have reverb (only on the Princeton Reverb), but how much is reverb really worth? Is there really that much of a sound difference between the Princeton and Champ or the Vibro-Champ? Between my Pro Reverb and my Champ of course there are differences and the application is much different, one for the bedroom, one for playing out with, but the sound quality of both amps is similar, for sure, obviously far from identical, but definitely similar. So how does the Princeton get so pricey? And is it a whole lot different/ better than the Champ?

There is actually a really sweet looking Princeton Reverb on Ebay right now at a surprisingly reasonable price, but the auction has 5 days to go, so I'm sure that will change. anyway, here it is if you guys want to check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160750919866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Don't overlook the mid 60's Gibson Explorer GA-15RVT or Epiphone EA-32RVT Comet equivalent. One of the most great sounding amps with an ES and usually priced less than the Fender's of the same generation. 2-6EU7, 12AU7, 2-6BQ5 Playing with different brands of tubes in any amp can make a world of difference. The Gibson GA-5 can be a good replacement for a Champ.

Another great amp for an ES is the Mesa Blue Angel in the 4x10 combo with some of the best clean tones and the most fantastic reverb. Lately these have been at a good used price. The volume is not for bedrooms though. Crank the amp up and dial in the vol with the guitar.

Another great amp for an ES is the Mesa Blue Angel in the 4x10 combo with some of the best clean tones and the most fantastic reverb. Lately these have been at a good used price. The volume is not for bedrooms though. Crank the amp up and dial in the vol with the guitar.

[/size][/font]

Here's a man who knows his amps...

[thumbup]

The 1;12 Blue Angel is a fine rig too. I'm thinking aboug selling this one, since I quit drinking I have gone pretty much acoustic.

100_0522.jpg

It's really amazing how the pricing just skyrockets for the Princetons, which is really kind of baffling to me. It's bigger, sure, but still too small to be used within a band context, and it does have reverb (only on the Princeton Reverb), but how much is reverb really worth? Is there really that much of a sound difference between the Princeton and Champ or the Vibro-Champ? Between my Pro Reverb and my Champ of course there are differences and the application is much different, one for the bedroom, one for playing out with, but the sound quality of both amps is similar, for sure, obviously far from identical, but definitely similar. So how does the Princeton get so pricey? And is it a whole lot different/ better than the Champ?

In Blackfaced/Silverfaced form, the Princeton is essentailly a single channel Deluxe. The speaker, of corse, is 10" instead of 12". But-you CAN get way more volume by using a higher rated speaker, same as you can by doing this to a deluxe. So, you CAN gig with it.

And of corse, REVERB! Ain't no getting around that. If it is Blackfaced, great as they are, you are going to want reverb on the models that have reverb.

I second the opinion of vintage Fender amps with Gibson semi-solids. Just straight in. No pedals necessary. I have a blackface Deluxe Reverb and a Super Reverb that shimmer with the semi-solids. I use the normal channel frequently for a more meaty overdrive. Of course, any quality amp will add its unique voice and character to the sound.

Ive been playing through a roland jc120 for years and love the super clean tone. I also have a fender blues deluxe reissue that sounds awsome also.

Go to guitar center and try out some amps to see what you like. Tube amps have a great overall warm sound, but sometimes need some maintance.

Solid state not as warm but still good clean sounds.

Archived