Gibson Brands Forums

Appreciating what you have!

GotTheSilver

While on a business trip this week, I found myself with a spare hour before I had to be at the airport and close to a guitar store I had been wanting to check out for some time. So I took the opportunity to visit Charley's Guitar Shop in Dallas, Texas. Nice little store. They had a number of electrics haning on the wall in the main room, mostly Gibsons. They also had a really nice acoustic room. Apparently, they do not carry new Gibson acoustics, but had a lot of Martins. They also had used acoustics from a handful of makers.

I tried out a number of acoustics - Martin HD-28V, D-18GE, used Collings D2A, couple others, and a used 2007 Gibson J-45. They were all nice guitars. The Martins left me feeling a bit cold, as Martin often does. Nice highs and lows, but kind of empty in the middle and lacking warmth. The Collings was warmer and more to my liking tonally, but seemed very quiet, like the sound was in there but just not projecting out. The five year old J-45 had opened up nicely. The low end was great! I think with different strings on it I would have liked this guitar more than any of the others I played that day. Overall, I left the shop feeling like of these guitars really moved me at all, though.

That night I got home and pulled out my AJ and J-45 Legend, and my brother's Hummingbird TV that I have temporary custody of. With these other guitars fresh in my mind, I wanted to see how my guitars compared. I was happy to feel that I would have chosen any of my three guitars over any of the guitars I played in the store that day. Made me feel very satisfied with my little collection. :)

I enjoyed your post.

I haven't sold or traded anything in almost 5 years, so I've been enjoying what I have. I do purchase gear now and then and the inevitable catalogs show up from time to time. That's where I have trouble. . B)

I had the same experience for a lot of years. Never could find anything that was "better" than my '92 AJ. Finally bought a J45, and recently, a BK. What I learned is that I'll probably never find another guitar that suits me and my style better than the AJ, but the others are quite good in their own right and great additions to my toy chest. Like my buddy says, "you can never have too many shotguns, pickup trucks, or guitars.

While on a business trip this week, I found myself with a spare hour before I had to be at the airport and close to a guitar store I had been wanting to check out for some time. So I took the opportunity to visit Charley's Guitar Shop in Dallas, Texas. Nice little store.

Ahhh, Charley's! Bought my J-100xtra from them at the Dallas Guitar Show in 2000. It was only months old but it was technically "used: A mom and dad bought it new for a teenager, who took it to Charley's and traded it toward an electric. My good luck!

Got a soft spot for that place myself! Good memories. :rolleyes:

Archived