Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar strings do YOU use? And why do you like them?

EpiAlan

All right. No one can seem to agree which string is best or how it sounds. There could be one way to settle this. And then we all can decide for ourselves! Just tell us which string manufactures, gauge, 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze,coated, non-coated, and on what make and model guitar you use them on.You might even tell us just why it is that you like your string choice so much!!Tell us everything you know and like about the guitar strings you actually USE. I'm wondering which string maker, gauge thickness, metal compositions etc etc, are most popular!

I use D'Addario 10-46 nickel coated strings on all my acoustics as most of my acoustics are electric and phosphur-bronze strings don't work so well on electric-acoustics.These strings keep their brightness and newness for longer than other strings that I've used.

I use Elixir Nanoweb 12-56 on my Yamaha FG750, that's the strings that I found sound the best with that guitar. I've tried others but the Elixir's give me the tone I like, 13s were too stiff and with 11s I lost too much volume. I used to like Clapton's Choice but found they would die to easily, then I tried out the Martin SP's and found they didn't have anywhere near the life of the Elixir's either. That's not to say they're good for every guitar, my Father has an Epiphone EJ200 that sounds lifeless with the Elixir's but really opens up with Gibson brand strings.

D'Addario EJ-17s. A very good medium string, very consistent from set to set.

I have used Red mediums on one of my guitars and it sounds very good, but when I've tried Reds on other of my guitars, like my J-45, they sound too thumpy. Reds are good strings, though.

D'Addario phosphor-bronze lights, 12-53, I believe. Have tried other gauges, other brands, often suggested by friends and band-mates as sure things. These last longer, feel better, sound better, keep tune better (if that's a function of the string, or just a figment of my imagination). This is for both my Masterbilt and my steel-bodied Dobro (brand). I used to use GHS "White Bronze" on the Dobro, as I didn't trust the combination of bronze and a steel body, but they became too hard to find and it turned out I liked the D'A P-B's better, anyway.

I have not tried Elixirs or other coated strings, but I've had mixed feelings about them when I try a guitar in a shop that seems to have them on. I do lilke the idea of the "Environmental Lights" by D'A mentioned above. Will be checking those out.

Archived