Gibson Brands Forums

Have you changed picks during your career?

rocketman

I've been using Victorian-era 3d coins for about 30 years.

Reversedetaillo-res_MG_8175Large-1.jpg

Recently I've started to play my G-J archtop acoustic quite a bit and I'm experimenting with these;

http://www.soundunli...ones_Picks.html

They are considerably bigger than I'm used to - 30mm long as opposed to 15mm diameter for the coin; and much thicker - 2.5mm as opposed to 0.7mm but if I don't get used to the length I'll get out the tools for a bit of re-shaping. I bought four of different types of wood. They are categorised by relative hardness but as they are so thick even when they taper at the tip I haven't perceived much difference between them all. The softer one just seems to be wearing out quicker!

The wooden ones are very much in the Manouche tradition and, as I believe Matt Sear has discovered, one you get used to them they are surprisingly accurate in use.

P.

I like your style. And as usual, that's a beautiful picture.

I pretty much use whatever's clever. Usually these green Dunlop picks that I took a whole bunch of from the Dunlop booth at the NAMM show a few years ago. I like a slightly more flexible pick for faster picking though.

Dunlop Tortex .60 mm for playing bass for the past 10 years. Dunlop Nylon Grey .60 mm for acoustic until last year when I changed over to Martin .46 mm shell picks. On electric it's a toss up between Planet Waves medium celluloid .70 mm and a see through green Jim Dunlop Gels M-L. I tried a ton of thumb picks before I settled on the Dunlop white medium thumb picks and it has to be the white ones, for some reason the other ones don't feel the same. I'm sure it will all change in again in time.

When I first started, I used Heavy picks. About a year or two into playing, I changed to Fender Medium Triangles, and never looked back...

10520980355300.jpg

I ordered 'em on-line a few months ago, and since they ship in quantities of 6-dozen, I ended up giving a couple dozen away. I have about 9-12 picks laid out by my amp, and you can tell which ones I usually grab...the others are covered in a layer of dust! LOL

I've used Dunlop picks since I started playing. I discovered Ultex picks maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I love 'em. I change between these two shapes frequently. The triangles are my current favorite.

ultex_regular.jpg

ultex_triangle.jpg

I used Fender mediums for years, torts first, then white or yellow when available--the bright ones are easier to see. Then I switched to the Dunlop nylon grippy things in light and medium gray. Now I usually use those orange Dunlop tortex when I use picks at all. About a year ago I decided to stop using them as much as possible. Digging the bare fingers thing.

Archived