Gibson Brands Forums

What could I have here?

engagekage

Hey Gibson community. I have a sort of conundrum. I recently came into possession of a Gibson Epiphone. After plenty of searching, the only information I was able to come up with was based off of the serial number, being 25275, dating to 1961, built in Kalamazoo. Now, that's all fine and dandy if I thought that is exactly what I have. So through my searches I have yet to find a Gibson exactly like my own. I have a weird feeling this might be a hodge podge of pieces and was wondering if you lovely folks could help me out in identifying what exactly it is I have. Since the photos of the Epiphone are too large for the site, put them here if you want to take a look. Gibson Epiphone pics Thanks!

Definitely. Those style knobs were like, the first thing to go when Gibson bought Epiphone.

Not exactly, HC. Epiphone used both the ridged bakelite knobs and the carousel knobs until around 1950 and then switched entirely to the carousels when they stopped using the Mastervoicer plates. When Gibson bought Epiphone in 1957, they continued to use the carousel knobs (and other parts they had left over) until about 1960 or so until the parts ran out. After that is when they began to use the plastic reflector style knobs (either black or gold) on all of the Epiphones. At that time they also stopped using things like the NY pickups and metal "bikini" plates (on most models). You also saw a lot of crossover guitars in that era. Interesting, albiet confusing, stuff.

Hey guys, just want to thank you for the attribution. I thought I was going crazy with the whole older body and serial number that I just assumed was Gibson. So once again, thanks and hope you all have a good one!

Glad we could be of help. Enjoy your guitar!

Archived