Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Colosi pins for Advanced Jumbo

JohnnyReb

Hi y'all. I've been looking at Bobs bridge pins lately to upgrade my advanced jumbo. I don't really care for the golf ball looking ones that come from the factory. The problem is I can't make up my mind which ones I want!! There all so nice it's hard to decide. I don't expect any changes in sound from there, purely cosmetic. However, some added sustain wouldn't be frowned upon :) anyway, I'm pretty sure I want bone to match nut and saddle. I just don't believe spending extra money on fossilized walrus or elephant ivory is gonna make 2 cents worth of difference. I'm a traditionalist so I'm kinda diggin the plain bone ebony 3mm pins. But the double abolone and ebony is very tempting! Do you AJ fans have any insight and photos of your AJ pin upgrades? Thanks

You gotta use Photobucket's "Direct link" and paste it into the "Insert image" tool in the Post Editor here.

Here's your pic - . . . . . . . . . . . Beautiful AJ. . [thumbup]

2bad0d63.jpg

Abalone is cool - I have a set in a Martin.

On my j200 I went with Colosi bone bridge and pins with tortoise inlays - just for a look -

08GibsonSJ200bridge.jpg

Spend the extra money, before you commit yourself with that statement. Martin 1940D28

I'm sorry sir but I don't really know what you mean by this?? Spend the extra money on what??

Thanks a lot big kahuna! I'm been trying forever to figure out how to post from my iPad. Great looking pins to btw

My pins are FWI. I would not spend the extra money for them.I got them because that is what my luthier had up here (he makes them himself)and it was a great Alaska touch. In my mind I wanted something brittle totransfer vibrations rather than soft plastic which in my mind dampen vibration.

chasAK

I wonder if anyone has done some real audio testing to see if bone pins really do make that much of a difference vs. ivoroid/plastic. Most of the strings energy is being transferred through the saddle & bridge into the top, so I don't think a particular type of bridge pin would matter. I could be wrong.

Hey Paul -

You know that question can lead to long discussion. . B)

I'm not real picky there either. Except, there are some plastic pins just plain look crappy - finished poorly with mold lines showing, etc. I've got guitars with plastic saddle and pins that sound fine to me.

If I do decide to go with a bone saddle replacement, I always add bone pins - that's just me.

I bought some nice bone pins for my Hummingbird, tried 'em many times , but ya know what? I honestly believe the guitar sounds better with the stock plastic ones.

I love the look of the bone pins and want to use them, but they seem to 'choke' the overall response of the top.

I hear this every time I switch. btw... I am a recording engineer by profession, I trust my ears.

When I switch back to the stock plastic ones, the guitar comes alive again.

To improve the look somewhat, I took some super fine sandpaper and smoothed out and removed the seams on the stock 'golfball' plastic pins.

Ill remind yall that im looking at pins purely as a cosmetic upgrade lol. I expect no sonic changes at all, but if its for the better then cool. But the "do pins affect tone" question can go on for years. I didnt post about that question so go forward with it at your own risk :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just what is a "traditionalist"? One whom never tries anything they know nothing about, but yet can comment on, and judge just about any subject that slips? into their mind? Guess my old age is showing as is my ignorance. Martin 1940D28, Gibson Advanced Jumbo with ivory bridge pins.

Talk about left field... anyway - most folks agree that anything in one of a hundred shades of white would be traditional enough. Getting bone is to reduce the amount of un-natural material on your instrument. The little inlays are just cool. I got the regular bone with the abalone from Bob, and they added curb appeal to both my Gibsons. I suggested on a few of the previous hundred threads on 'do they make a difference in sound?' that someone buy two sets of identical strings and put a #1E string on the #1 and #6 pegs, a #3G string on the 2nd and 4th pegs and a #5 on 3 and 5. Of course, you'll have bone on #s 1, 2 and 3 and plastic on #s 4, 5 & 6. Then twang them A/B and see if you can tell the difference. I'm betting you can't!

I saw a post on another forum. A guy loves to fix up Silvertones and the like. He claims to bring the sound out of them, first by putting mediums on it and strumming like crazy for a few days to "shake the top back to life". His big move after that is to place bone bridge pins on, and nothing else. He claims to turn these neglected lower line instruments into vintage tone gems. I was surprised that no one questioned his near 100% success rate using his time proven method. I personally think that bone, ivory, and tusk pins look very pretty, but I would expect little if any improvement in tone. To each his own I guess, but I seriously doubt that the composition of your bridge pins is the magic bullet. I've been wrong on a daily basis at times though.

There are 'snake oil' salesmen in every town and walk of life!... Even more prolific on the internet and even.... 'less accountable' for their claims. This in reference to ajay's story and not Bob Colosi pins and such(just to clarify) I think his products are top-notch and will take bone to wood anyday over plastic to wood.....especially!!!!....where the nut and saddle is concerned. I really can,t see the pins effecting tone though, honestly!

There are 'snake oil' salesmen in every town and walk of life!... Even more prolific on the internet and even.... 'less accountable' for their claims. . I really can,t see the pins effecting tone though, honestly!

Yeah - I'll go with that! I have a music room and a shed full of snake oil that I bought under various names from the internet, and the odd guitar shop.....

(Great looking guitar at the start of the thread!)

On my ladder-braced guitars I do like ebony pins - they take a bit of the nasty edge off that the plastic ones do to the sound....

BluesKing777.

Archived