Gibson Brands Forums

Hendrix with a V

RowdyMoon

The Vs came along in the latter part of Jimi's career,there were 2 black ones and a white one.One black was lefty and one was right and the white one was a lefty that he played at one of his last concerts at The Isle of Wight.

Well you have to remember that back in the early 70s most of the media was representitive of the far right and to them Jimi was just another drug-addled,burnt-out,leftist,hippie musician and they were probably giving each other congratulatory slaps on the backs when the broadcast was over.

Wow, is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling the news reporters in the "death report" footage were just cold and dickish?

Not really. Back in 1970, The news was just what it was suppose to be, news! Not entertainment like it is today. Yeah, I know, they screwed up. They reported JMH was 28. He was 27. RIP JMH.

That was cool , I never figured out why he never got a left handed guitar .

I heard that Eric Clapton had bought him a left handed strat as a present. He went to give it to Jimi one night, shortly before he died, but for one reason or another, he wasn't able to give it to him. Eric took it back home with him and decided to give it to Jimi the next time he saw him. Unfortunately, we all know what happened next.

Slashperryburst has the Eric/Jimi story exactly right,Eric was devastated over that and beat himself up for it for a long time after because he absolutely loved Jimi dispite what what some journalists would have you think,and Jimi's death hit both Erics-Clapton and Burden exceptionally hard as they were about the closest male friends that Jimi had aside from Brian Jones of the Stones.Other than these 3,Kathy Etchingham and the 5 or 6 in his "Inner Sanctum"Jimi had few "true"friends all the rest were opportunistic hangers on who were there for the free ride and to pick up the few crumbs that may fall their way.Jimi's biggest downfall was that he was too trusting and just too nice a guy who hated to say no even when he knew that it was better for him if he did.

Archived