Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson '57 Classics and Classics Plus pups

Epi Rocks

So in other words when I receive my new Epi LP Custom Pro I won't want to change out the ProBucker2 & ProBucker3? This is good news!

My bandmate has no interest in changing them or would I if I owned his guitar. They are a bit brighter than a real Gibson 57 but just as clear and full.

I am not too happy with the spec changes on the Epiphone 339s can't get one myself the same way now.

IMO once you have heard the Probucker there is no going back to stock Alnico Classics.

Let us know what you think when your guitar arrives.

My bandmate has no interest in changing them or would I if I owned his guitar. They are a bit brighter than a real Gibson 57 but just as clear and full.

I am not too happy with the spec changes on the Epiphone 339s can't get one myself the same way now.

IMO once you have heard the Probucker there is no going back to stock Alnico Classics.

Let us know what you think when your guitar arrives.

Hey thanks for the input. They are great sounding pups, I won't be changing them, no way. The bridge is bright & defined and the neck is dark & boomy, just as it should be. No need to roll the tone off at all. I especially love how rich & chimey the middle toggle position is on cleans, rings out very nice. I am very impressed. I'm at work now but I will be posting pics and a more thorough review later.

I have guitars with Burstbucker 2 & 3's, 57 Classics and 57 Classic Plus, and Probuckers. IMO, Epi did it right with these. They more closely resemble the their Gibson counterparts in tonal characteristics but they hold their own with anything comparable. If you buy an Epi equipped with these, you might want to alter the wiring schematic and caps but there is no need to switch these pups out that I can see. They sound great!

I have guitars with Burstbucker 2 & 3's, 57 Classics and 57 Classic Plus, and Probuckers. IMO, Epi did it right with these. They more closely resemble the their Gibson counterparts in tonal characteristics but they hold their own with anything comparable. If you buy an Epi equipped with these, you might want to alter the wiring schematic and caps but there is no need to switch these pups out that I can see. They sound great!

Glad you like them too. I have several Gibson's now with the 57s, only way I'll buy them tired of paying for stuff to fix down the road.

Epiphone has a great PU in the Probucker but I will not buy another until all Epiphone models come with them or at least one I want. I am only paying once from now on.

The Alnico Classic needs to be put in all the low end bolt on neck Epiphones etc and retired from the standard or more expensive line get the Probuckers either in the split coil option or not either way is fine by me.

^ Indeed the ProBuckers are great, I will never change them out. I'm with Steve though, something is wired up weird, when your in the middle toggle position either volume acts as a master for both. This is fine but doesn't allow you to "blend" the two pups.

^ Indeed the ProBuckers are great, I will never change them out. I'm with Steve though, something is wired up weird, when your in the middle toggle position either volume acts as a master for both. This is fine but doesn't allow you to "blend" the two pups.

It's because it's wired with the "modern dependent" scheme, this is standard for most humbucker guitars you'll buy these days, Epiphone or not, you want modern independent to blend them as you've described. It's a very easy mod, you simply swap the pickup's hot lead from lug one of the volume pot to lug two, and the wires going from lug two to the tone pot and 3-way switch to lug one. So basically you just swap around what's on lug one and two. I do it to all my guitars that were wired with a dependent schematic, I prefer the blending control it offers too.

It's because it's wired with the "modern dependent" scheme, this is standard for most humbucker guitars you'll buy these days, Epiphone or not, you want modern independent to blend them as you've described. It's a very easy mod, you simply swap the pickup's hot lead from lug one of the volume pot to lug two, and the wires going from lug two to the tone pot and 3-way switch to lug one. So basically you just swap around what's on lug one and two. I do it to all my guitars that were wired with a dependent schematic, I prefer the blending control it offers too.

Independent huh? Good info man, thanks!

I guess the only thing you would lose would be the ability to turn down real quick.

It's because it's wired with the "modern dependent" scheme, this is standard for most humbucker guitars you'll buy these days, Epiphone or not, you want modern independent to blend them as you've described. It's a very easy mod...I do it to all my guitars that were wired with a dependent schematic, I prefer the blending control it offers too.

+1. I do it to all my guitars too.

Dang it..........I have a file on the wiring types.....I still don't understand the full differences....A Les Paul is on it's way to me, re-wired with so-called "50's" wiring....

Hmmmm...........I'll ask in a new thread later on..........

Dang it..........I have a file on the wiring types.....I still don't understand the full differences....A Les Paul is on it's way to me, re-wired with so-called "50's" wiring....

Hmmmm...........I'll ask in a new thread later on..........

The main differences between modern and '50s/vintage wiring schemes is that in the '50s the cap is used to bridge between the volume and tone pots, in modern the cap is bled from the tone pot to ground and a wire is used to bridge the volume and tone pots.

I've got an '08 Epi LP Std, and the "Alnico Classic" pickups have always just barely satisfied me. They just sound a little dull. For pickups that are supposed to be "classic", the bridge pickup's output Really surprised me. It reads 13k, while the neck reads just over 8k. Odd.

As some of you will already know, I recently installed Gibson pups into my Black Beauty 3.

It may be my imagination but WOW [woot] do these pickups sing.

I thought they would be an improvement but I never imagined to this degree.

'57 Classic in the neck, 490T in the middle and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position.

Is anyone else out there as impressed with these pickups as I am.

The difference compared to the Epi Classics is 'chalk n cheese'.

I plugged the BB3 into the Marshall, turned it up to 'bout 6 and let rip. F&^K!!!

Did the same on the gain channel with a delay pedal and cut loose. Very Impressive tones.

I should've changed them years ago.

To my ears these are undoubtedly the best pups out there. [thumbup]

The 490T held its ground also.

490to.jpg

Together, these guys are a brilliant combination. (Money well spent methinks.)

Hi,

I'm interested to hear how you find the 490T compared to the '57 regular as they're about the same hotness. If you try to account for the diiferent locations (middle vs. neck) using the tone control, can you tell the difference in terms of articulation, clarity etc ?

Hi,

I'm interested to hear how you find the 490T compared to the '57 regular as they're about the same hotness. If you try to account for the diiferent locations (middle vs. neck) using the tone control, can you tell the difference in terms of articulation, clarity etc ?

Hey Alan,

the 490T I installed are in the middle position and as such only comes on with the Bridge

57+ p/up when I flick the selector switch. It's wired directly to the switch rather than to

a volume pot. The 490T also came with 4 wires rather than the braided ones that are factory fitted. I can't give you a comparison now as I would have to take the guitar apart

again.

When I installed it I tested it individually on the LP before I installed the 57s and I found them to be pretty sweet and fairly articulate, much like the 498T but without as much of that midrange scoop the 498T has with its A5 magnet.

The 57 Classics, I found to be much 'sweeter' in it's creamier tones while still retaining

all its clarity.

The 490T cleans up nicely with the 57+ and has a lovely mellow sound similar to a single coil but not as tinny. Difficult to describe, but it has a certain hollow ring to it.

Similar sound to (Intro to Sweet home Alabama) type tone.

Any single p/up,whether HB,Single coil or P90 type, will sound different depending on where you place it. Brighter on the bridge, more mellow in the middle and smoother, creamier on the neck pos.

Ultimately, I prefer the 57 Classics. They're much better sounding to my ear. \:D/

Anyways, I hope that I've answered some of your questions.

Cheers

Paul

I`m thinking of upgrading the pups on my epi es-175. How do you think those `57`s would work?

Hey CC,

You can't go wrong with 57 classics on the neck and 57 Classics Plus on the bridge.

They have that beautiful 50's Humbucker tone.

57 Classics are a little $$$$$ but, they will make your ES-175 sing they way she was meant to.

You might also consider changing your pots to CTS and putting some nice 0.0022 PIO capacitors on.

They'll help open up those 57's.

Good luck [thumbup]

Paul

Thanks for the info!

I second the notion of Gibby Classics on a 175........I find them cheapest NEW from "Amplified Parts."

You can find them used as well.............

I started playing my G-400 yesterday since my SG was dropped off for repair. I'm amazed at how underwhelming the Epi sounds compared to the 490's in the SG. Very tinny and kind of hollow sounding, for lack of a better word. And my Epi Strat copy... Pretty bad after playing the SG exclusively for 4 months.

A pup upgrade would be nice, but it's kind of hard for me to justify in a guitar this inexpensive. Seems like it would be a better idea to sell the guitar and upgrade to something higher end. Just my $.02

I started playing my G-400 yesterday since my SG was dropped off for repair. I'm amazed at how underwhelming the Epi sounds compared to the 490's in the SG. Very tinny and kind of hollow sounding, for lack of a better word. And my Epi Strat copy... Pretty bad after playing the SG exclusively for 4 months.

A pup upgrade would be nice, but it's kind of hard for me to justify in a guitar this inexpensive. Seems like it would be a better idea to sell the guitar and upgrade to something higher end. Just my $.02

Hey Doug,

A Gibson SG Custom with Maestro is in the $3,500+ range.

My G400 Custom with Maestro was $780 plus 2 Gibson Burstbucker Pros ($210)and electrics upgrades (aprox $100)

equals $1,080. That's a $2,400 difference in 2 guitars that are essentially

the same.

(If I had to do it again, I would fit 57 Classics instead. A few extra $$$ but I prefer

the tones.)

cimg1168f.jpg

My Epiphone G400 Custom with Maestro

sgcustomrivosclassicwhi.jpg

A Gibson SG Custom with Maestro

'Spot the difference'

The Epi is a better bang for your $$$$$ IMHO. [thumbup][thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

I had the Gibson 57 Classics installed in my Epi ES-175, along with a bone nut. What a difference! Sounds positively awesome. I play mostly jazz and use only the neck pickup about 90% of the time, however, the bridge pickup sounds wonderful as well. Nice blusey tone from the neck pickup. I consider my Epi ES-175 with upgrades a great value with a total investment under 1k!

Just my opinion of course. http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/msp_thumbup.gif

I'm amazed at how underwhelming the Epi sounds compared to the 490's in the SG. Very tinny and kind of hollow sounding, for lack of a better word...A pup upgrade would be nice, but it's kind of hard for me to justify in a guitar this inexpensive. Seems like it would be a better idea to sell the guitar and upgrade to something higher end.

PU's make a HUGE difference and it doesn't have to break the bank. I have a few G-400's and have upgraded PU's in all of them. They went from so-so to sounding great. I buy most of my PU's used on eBay, for around half price, $35 to $45. You can get Schaller and Carvin HB's even cheaper, for around $20 to $30 each.

G-400's are good guitars, the PU's are the weakest link, as they are on most Epi's. Don't expect the PU's on a midprice import to compete with the PU's on a high-end American-made guitar. Put a pair of Duncans or Gibsons in an Epi, and the playing field gets almost level.

Archived