Gibson Brands Forums

DR BLUES GUITAR STRINGS ON SG"S ?

tom brown

hello all

A few months ago put a set of dr blues pure nickel strings on my sg 3 and i think these are one of the best made brands on the market right now.

I put them on and didn't have to stretch them at all... Tuned them and they are ready to go.

They have a warm vintage sound to my ears and are so smooth they feel like silk.

And a added bonus is they don't wear frets out because they are pure nickel.

Was using GHS boomers for years and then they changed the quality of the strings, so i tried these..

I think i get caught up in pickups and amps and never worried about strings much, these have my attention.

What are your favorite strings and why?

heres the DR BLUES link....................http://drstrings.com/catalog/pure-blues

I hear you on the strings.........I used to use ernie ball super slinkys for a very long time.......I started a thread about strings about a month or so ago after I threw an odd ball set of strings on an Explorer I sold bot talk about tone change for the better!!!!! Strings make alot of difference. I have went and bought about 4 new sets in the past month. 2 sets of Dunlop Billy Gibbon endorsed and 1 set of Elixir with some kind of special coating on them. After reading all of the post on the thread and after the big difference in tone on the explorer my little world got rocked. Here is the link if you want to take some time to read it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/83302-your-favorite-name-brand-guitar-strings-what-do-you-use-and-why/page__p__1140193__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1140193

I have never heard of the brand you mentioned Dr. Blues..how much do they go for and what guage do you use? The super slinkys sound great when broken in but it takes them a while to get them stretched correctly.......I hate that now about them. I have yet to try a new set I got. I have also been thinking of moving up 1 guage size from .09 to .10. I have not bought any 10's yet but I probably will here in the next month or so. Keep us posted on those DR. Blues, Tim

I perspnally like using a variety of strings on my sg ive been using dr black beauties i like the heavy end they have. Sometimes i switch out to elixers and i like the coated strings they last way longer, especially in shore areas that have salty air.

On my es339 ive been using flat wounds for more jaz tone, and sometimes gibson strings. The gibson strings are quite great in tonality and bendability.

Of course on my strat i use fender strings occasionally they have a good vintage tone, however dont really like the bullets they get stuck in the tremolo block.

Bigtim the strings i have are 10's and G.C. had sent me a 25 gift card to try to make up so i bought some ghs boomers and figured i d try these.

only like 6.00 a pack...but they last alot longer.

they also wind these strings different if you read the package..

they are so damn smooth thought.....

I'm also a fan of using Pure Nickel strings. I started using D'Addario EPN 110 Pure Nickels with my Gibson CS 356 last week. And man the differences are night and day compared to using Nickel Wounds. My CS 356 sounds so much better. The strings are very vocal and melod.

I did try a set with my LP, but I did not like them. I 'm going to try them with my Tele.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

At the age of 18, I used Ernie Ball regular slinkys all the time. I'd tried a few other brands, but I preferred those. I joined a band and a week before our first gig, the other guitarist asked me if I would recommend the Ernie ball strings. I did. He phoned me up a few days later and told me the strings were garbage. I know that they aren't as they are a very popular brand. My friend recommended I try Gibson brite wires. I did, and I've never looked back in six years.

jazzdtr , when i first put these on my ears had to adjust because they sounded almost muffled compared to the GHS boomers and now they sound fine.

Seems the response of the string is much different which of course changes the sound..

For instance i could cover most stuff with these strings but if i had to do a bunch of AC DC stuff i might put the boomers on to get more of the rock n roll brittle raspi type of sound. And the response is a little faster to my ears with the boomers..

I use Dr's on all my guitars. They last longer than anything else for me, and sound is as good as anything I've tried. They come pre-stretched, so put them on and go for the most part. They settle in very quickly.

If you use a lot of strings, buy them by the box, saves a lot on the per-pack price.

• 2 weeks later...

I use DR Pure Blues Pure Nickel strings exclusively. Started with 0.10's which were nice but i need to tighten up the low E so went with the heavy bottoms 0.10 - 0.54 which were cool but it sorta split the fret board in two. The G, B and E were like 0.10's and the E, A and D were like another set; it's hard to expain; like playing two different fingerboard at the same time.

Anyway, i have gone to 0.11's now and they are much better; excellent strings. I have them on my 1987 62RI SG and they sing man.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always bought from Webstrings.com recently I got a D'adario luthier box... so I'm good for a long time. My biggest beef with strings is thin strings sound wimpy... thus 11's are the staple around here for all things electric.

• 5 weeks later...

I used DR Pure Blues on my 335 and had major issues, intonation was all over the place, dull lifeless tone, i was really dissapointed maybe i got a bad set I dont know

otherwise D'Addario has NEVER let me down or broken on me like Slinkys

• 2 weeks later...

Angel when i first put mine on they did sound dull compared to the boomers, but after i played them a couple days my ear adjusted to the ""flatter" sound and response.

It been few months and they sound as good as first day.

• 1 month later...

Archived