Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Crack

duluthdan

Opinions please - these cracks appear to be in the Nitro finish only - so far - no evidence yet of the crack coming all the way thru - using a lighted mirror to investigate from the inside. These cracks appeared sometime during the last ten days. I am quite dilligent about humidification, it is semi-arid here in the mountains - I play this guitar on my deck - and the sun can get pretty intense. Might that be it? 2010 J-45 TV.

J45Crack-1.jpg

J-45BackCrack.jpg

Playing the guitar in direct sunlight can really heat it up. All you've got to to is touch the top in an area where the direct sunlight hits it and you'll be surprised at how hot it gets. Heating and cooling in not wise for nitro or the wood. Also, sitting in filtered sunlight in your house will age the finish.

You've answered your own question. If you humidify and then leave that environment, you exponentially increase the reaction of the wood to the change in climate. You shouldn't play a good guitar in the sun for the same reason I don't walk my Gibsons into the dry heat of my woodstove room. Maybe you could buy a beater for extreme environment strumming.

Both of these cracks IS along the grain. I play my Martins on the deck too - and this hasn't happened to them in six years. Perhaps its a property of the Nitro finish? And the dark burst? If this is going to continue to occur with the Gibson, then I think I will have to become expert at cleating cracks, cuz this short scale guit-box is WAY too much fun. Part of the inspiration for sitting on my deck is that I have a view of Mt. Sopris - where John Denver wrote most of the lyrics to Rocky Mountain High.

I would not think that the nitro finish has anything to do with it. However, I could be wrong? A poly finish may help to hold the grain togather because of its plastic nature. Does Martin use plastic finishes? I don,t know.!?

You may have to add some more Gibsons to the stable to see if it is a one-off event or a trend...jes sayin' [cool]

Both of these cracks IS along the grain. I play my Martins on the deck too - and this hasn't happened to them in six years. Perhaps its a property of the Nitro finish? And the dark burst? If this is going to continue to occur with the Gibson, then I think I will have to become expert at cleating cracks, cuz this short scale guit-box is WAY too much fun. Part of the inspiration for sitting on my deck is that I have a view of Mt. Sopris - where John Denver wrote most of the lyrics to Rocky Mountain High.

I dont blame you, Im going to enjoy mine out on the porch or where ever makes me happy [scared]

The nitro start to check when exposed to sudden climatic changes, and not necessarily it cracks along the grain...makes me think that the crack in the finish is caused by a split in the wood...Hope I'm wrong, but don't seem lacquer checking. IMHO.

Lacquer doesn't crack along the grain like that. Those are definitely cracks in the wood albeit very tight ones. Light may not pass through them, but that doens't mean they're not in the wood. I would get them repaired ASAP. Don't want them spreading even more.

Ohhhh .... looks like a crack to me also. But don't stop playing instruments in the outdoors where you can enjoy both. As if often said here, they are tools. In this case, tools for your enjoyment.

Spoke with Windsong in Boulder - very good rep - they will take a look and do the fix - but its a 200 mile drive - one way - over 2 mountain passes-so I'll keep the j-45 in the case until I can get there and hope it doesn't grow too much. I figure I'll be w/o a Gibson for a few months, unless, of course, in a weak moment I pull off the road at Wildwood Guitars and strike a deal on a New Vintage SJ - sorry, I'm weak, and have never been good at going "cold trukey" on anything. Pretty similar guitars, except for the binding, right? Its Ok, I just think this short scale is such a hoot to play. Besides the JB model, are there any short-scale 12 fretters in the Gibson line-up? That'd be fun.

The question was raised about Martin's finishes---they are Nitro. The cracks appear to be in the wood and not just finish cracks. My guess would be that the cracks developed in the darker area due to the propensity for dark areas to absorb and hold heat more readily than light areas.

Bob

Archived