Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson to buy.

Midnight Newton

Hi,

I'm new on here but have played Gibsons for a few years now and love them. However, because I am so used to the string spacing and fretboard size of a J-200 I find it really hard to play any other style of guitar without sounding like a total beginer. I recently sold two dreadnought's due to this and was now looking to purchase a Gibson to replace them with.. My problem is that I want to get something with exactly the same spacing/fretboard sizes as my J-200 but not necessarily the same body size. I was wondering if the J-45/Hummingbird etc etc would give me the same size dynamics whilst providing a contrast in the sound. I can look at the pure specs but wondered whether the collective knowledge of the forum would have any additional insights into my problem..

I'm pretty much down to one guitar at the moment and feel a bit exposed in case I have a problem with it..

Thanks for any tips..

Neil

Hi,

I'm new on here but have played Gibsons for a few years now and love them. However, because I am so used to the string spacing and fretboard size of a J-200 I find it really hard to play any other style of guitar without sounding like a total beginer. I recently sold two dreadnought's due to this and was now looking to purchase a Gibson to replace them with.. My problem is that I want to get something with exactly the same spacing/fretboard sizes as my J-200 but not necessarily the same body size. I was wondering if the J-45/Hummingbird etc etc would give me the same size dynamics whilst providing a contrast in the sound. I can look at the pure specs but wondered whether the collective knowledge of the forum would have any additional insights into my problem..

I'm pretty much down to one guitar at the moment and feel a bit exposed in case I have a problem with it..

Thanks for any tips..

Neil

you might want to take a look at an advanced jumbo " AJ " the feel should be close

Specs-wise it's different but feel wise an AJ should get you close, but I wouldn't look past the hummingbird either, a lush strummer, but it would provide a contrast in that it's still a fairly big body but with short scale and great playability.

I can only recommend you get out to get your hands on a few yourself, but if pressed for a best guess the AJ/Hummingbird are the two I'd tell you to look more into.

* J-45's are also great guitars and I would urge anyone interested in a Gibson to check one out for themselves, but I figured you will always get loads of people saying the J-45 so I hought I'd mention the other two instead.

.... I want to get something with exactly the same spacing/fretboard sizes as my J-200 but not necessarily the same body size. .... give me the same size dynamics whilst providing a contrast in the sound. ....

Your J200 has a 25.5" scale. If you want the same spacing/fretboard, the J45/H'bird are not the the choice you want make - they have 24.75" scale.

The AJ and the Dove both have 25.5" scale, but the Dove is of the same woods as the J200 (spruce/curly-maple), but in dreadnought form.

The AJ is spruce/rosewood which would give you a contrast in the sound.

AJ.

Your J200 has a 25.5" scale. If you want the same spacing/fretboard, the J45/H'bird are not the the choice you want make - they have 24.75" scale.

The AJ and the Dove both have 25.5" scale, but the Dove is of the same woods as the J200 (spruce/curly-maple), but in dreadnought form.

The AJ is spruce/rosewood which would give you a contrast in the sound.

AJ.

I couldn't agree more; if you want the same scale and spacing as your J200, the AJ may be the only choice if you want a different sound. The Dove, 'Bird and J45 are fine guitars (I have them), but the Dove has the same materials as the J200, which would give you close to the same sound, and the 'Bird and J45 are shorter scale and different woods, which would give you a much different sound but also a completely different feel.

Mandolin Brothers has a Gibson J200 12 Fret you may like to try if you are near by..that is slightly different to your J200 with a bit longer body I think .

There is a video of it being played on you tube...

If you get do go there try the Jumbo(O) made by Lowden as well...it's plain & no where near as pretty..but a good one(made after 2004) should be the best sounding Jumbo in the place..though fingerboard is the same length it is flat & a bit wider.

(Just noticed you are in UK)

Archived