Gibson Brands Forums

So..what is happening with the case?

stein

Haven't heard anything in quite a while. Feds still got the wood, still no charges. Is that right?

The only thing that seems to be different is that a lot of "alternatives" have now been included in the specs of the REGULAR models.

For example, the LP Custom. Now, it is with Richlite. I have nothing against it, but to me, it ain't an LP Custom. It is an LP Custom with a Richlite Board. Or rather, LP Custom MEANS it has an Ebony fretboard. If you change that, it ain't an LP Custom.

I take that as a BIG step for Gibson, in an undesirable direction. So it begs the question, what is going on with the case? What is the future of this?

I kind of get the idea that the F&W has won. If Ebony and rosewood has been made 'effectively' illegal, Gibson would be the first to run out. They were the first to be harassed, meaning they would be the first to experience difficulty getting supplies, AND they had a great quantity deprived of them. IF it was going to be supplies run out, Gibson would run out first.

Where is it at and where is it going?

I kind of get the idea that the F&W has won. If Ebony and rosewood has been made 'effectively' illegal, Gibson would be the first to run out. They were the first to be harassed, meaning they would be the first to experience difficulty getting supplies, AND they had a great quantity deprived of them. IF it was going to be supplies run out, Gibson would run out first.

The first to run out in the U.S. would be LMI. Yet you can still buy it all day long.

Ebony

More Ebony

Indian Rosewood

It's interesting to note that Gibson is the only major guitar manufacturer that has gotten into trouble over this.

Both Martin and Taylor have worked hard to maintain supplies by keeping their noses clean. Both Chris Martin and Bob Taylor have made statements critical of what Gibson did.

There's only two possible reasons why Gibson won't buy ebony or rosewood. It's either too expensive or they don't want to use it.

When you get caught with your pants down, it's best to pull them back up right away rather than trying to convince everyone that pants don't matter.

It's interesting to note that Gibson is the only major guitar manufacturer that has gotten into trouble over this.

Both Martin and Taylor have worked hard to maintain supplies by keeping their noses clean. Both Chris Martin and Bob Taylor have made statements critical of what Gibson did.

There's only two possible reasons why Gibson won't buy ebony or rosewood. It's either too expensive or they don't want to use it.

When you get caught with your pants down, it's best to pull them back up right away rather than trying to convince everyone that pants don't matter.

=D> My sentiments exactly. I love Gibson as much as anyone here, but they done wrong. Just because it didn't happen to others doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't have happened to Gibson.

I still think the whole thing was political and nothing to do with wood or the laws that they charged them on.. Sucks really.. but thats politics like what they say in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZCqXmYZro&feature=related

I think this is hype..accusations without merit.

A little later than when that report and rumor came out, it was reported that Henry contributed to BOTH Rep and Dems. And, it wasn't all that much.

I think this is hype..accusations without merit.

A little later than when that report and rumor came out, it was reported that Henry contributed to BOTH Rep and Dems. And, it wasn't all that much.

Well im no expert on US politics but there just doesnt seem to be much other explination other than that. Gibson have singed documents from the Indian government saying they were happy that all the laws have been followed and no other guitar company has been raided like that.. the whole thing just stinks really if you ask me. If thats to do with Gibson covering up dodgey practices or the US government being biased im not sure though.

The first to run out in the U.S. would be LMI. Yet you can still buy it all day long.

Ebony

More Ebony

Indian Rosewood

This is one of the reasons WHY I am at a loss. These prices are NOT prohibative for Gibson to buy from.

A lot of the 'alternative' woods used right after (baked maple, granadillo, richlite) I don't find unusual and I would GUESS is the result of a temporary loss of supply. But...'layered' rosewood boards, and richlite for the LP Custon seggest to me something as more of a permanent solution.

Why would you use layered? It also suggest they purchased stock for that.

This is one of the reasons WHY I am at a loss. These prices are NOT prohibative for Gibson to buy from.

A lot of the 'alternative' woods used right after (baked maple, granadillo, richlite) I don't find unusual and I would GUESS is the result of a temporary loss of supply. But...'layered' rosewood boards, and richlite for the LP Custon seggest to me something as more of a permanent solution.

Why would you use layered? It also suggest they purchased stock for that.

I don't think it has anything to do with price, rarity or availability. It has to do with working your as$ off to be in compliance and pioneering sustainable conservation methods like they did in Alaska yet still having your door kicked down and your materials and product confiscated and your work force ordered to lock the doors and go home.

After a while why bother?

I don't think it has anything to do with price, rarity or availability. It has to do with working your as$ off to be in compliance and pioneering sustainable conservation methods like they did in Alaska yet still having your door kicked down and your materials and product confiscated and your work force ordered to lock the doors and go home.

After a while why bother?

I think you're exactly right. The problem isn't the availability of these materials.

I think they're pissed that they followed the rules most of the time but when they decided not to follow the rules, they got caught.

I've spent my whole career advising egocentric rule breakers how to stay out of trouble. They pay me good money for good advice and then sometimes they just ignore it. Some very egocentric people use denial to assuage their ego. Some of these people are impossible to advise and believe that anything they do is fine. They become very hurt when they make mistakes and tend not to take responsibility well. The thought pattern is irrational by its nature. That's why it doesn't make any sense.

Maybe I'm just mad at all those clients who were obsessed with how to get away with breaking the rules and wouldn't take responsibility. Or maybe I recognize the behavior pattern of a rule breaker.

I think they're pissed that they followed the rules most of the time but when they decided not to follow the rules, they got caught.

I'm having trouble believing anyone decided to not follow the rules. I've been trying to get someone to explain to me why Gibson would intentionally buy fingerboard blanks that are too thick. What did they gain? The wood will require more planing which will require more time meaning more expense.

I'm having trouble believing anyone decided to not follow the rules. I've been trying to get someone to explain to me why Gibson would intentionally buy fingerboard blanks that are too thick. What did they gain? The wood will require more planing which will require more time meaning more expense.

I still hold to the conspiracy theory- but more on Gibsons part than the Gov.

A perfect excuse to change the way they make guitars at a lower cost, and still charge the same- Throw the government under the bus, and Gibson is held blameless, preserving their reputation.

Call me weird, but, I keep getting this feeling. [confused]

I still hold to the conspiracy theory- but more on Gibsons part than the Gov.

A perfect excuse to change the way they make guitars at a lower cost, and still charge the same- Throw the government under the bus, and Gibson is held blameless, preserving their reputation.

Call me weird, but, I keep getting this feeling. [confused]

If you want to be called weird for this stance, "you're weird". Blowing the whistle on yourself, having material confiscated, bad publicity, shutting down the factory, $ in legal expenses, making guitars that many feel are devalued...Ya, great business plan. You'll be successful in no time.

Archived