Gibson Brands Forums

Much thirstier

Tman

I got my 2011 J-45 custom in December and my 1997 SJ-200 from the original owner in February. I bought 2 oasis humidifiers at the same time (after I saw recommendations on this board).

I have re-filled the humidifier for the SJ-200 4 times! Not once for the J-45. Is it because the SJ is older or is it that Maple is much thirstier than Rosewood or both? When I bought it the owner said, "Mark my words, keep er humidified!"

IMG_0811.jpg

On stage right (your left) the J 45, the other is the SJ-200.

I live in Houston, so humid here I never need a humidifier. If anything I need a de-humidifier for my guitars. It's always somewhere around 75% at a minimum around here.

I used to live in Galveston and I'd say you're right! [biggrin]

I have kept both in the case and it's just amazing how often I replace water in the J 200. Also when I feel the inside of the sound hole it feels drier so I wonder if it is just the wood species. None the less it sounds amazing so I'll keep after it. Just thought it was interesting how different my 2 siblings are.

nice, I bet the water and the weather in Santa Barbara is much nicer! Although I must admit today was an absolute perfect day, low in the 60s overnight, high about 84 with no clouds and pretty low humidity actually.

Yes it's nice but I remember there would be a few weeks every spring where the water in Galveston turned green and the weather perfect, usually around this time of year.

The humidity in the house here is optimum so that's another reason why I am surprised at what is happening. Oh well, I'll keep track of it and try and keep it perfect.

You have no idea how wrong you are .....Tman, dont follow this insane disadvice.

Waste of time. Let the wood live with the climate, dry when it's dry and moist when it's moist. Wish I invented this scam so I didn't have to go to work.

Waste of time. Let the wood live with the climate, dry when it's dry and moist when it's moist. Wish I invented this scam so I didn't have to go to work.

I think this is subject to the owners geographical location and individual living conditions....

[rolleyes]

...Distilled water can be pricey!!!!

what-is-distilled-water-bottleddistilledwaterdelivery.com_.jpg

do you HAVE to use distilled water ?

didnt know that if it true

if any of you have a tumble dryer or clothes dryer ( dont know what you murkins call them in the US) rather than having the hose out the window you can get a little box that collects the moisture .. thats distilled water .

not very often i'm happy with irish weather but i am on this occasion :-)

not many humidifiers sold round here :-D

Same here mate in London, however, the central heating can suck the living daylights out of a guitar!!!!

[scared]

Can you tell which strings I put the humidifier between? Rust is the clue. [scared][flapper][crying]

Tman are you using the syringe that comes with the humidifier to fill it? The only reason your strings are rusting is because the outside of the humidifier is wet. With the syringe, all the water stays inside the humidifier. Good luck.

...Distilled water can be pricey!!!!

Not in the US, at least not in the quantities required for a humidifier. It's sold in every supermarket for use in steam irons and humidifying devices. Costs about $2/gallon or so.

Certainly the humidifier will last much longer using distilled water, as regular tap water (or even bottled spring water or "mineral" water) has a LOT of dissolved solids in it. Those solids don't disappear away when the water evaporates. They end up as deposits on the inside of the humidifiers, and generally shorten their lives dramatically.

Tman are you using the syringe that comes with the humidifier to fill it? The only reason your strings are rusting is because the outside of the humidifier is wet. With the syringe, all the water stays inside the humidifier. Good luck.

I do use the syringe (with distilled water). I suppose I'm not perfect at it and it does have a tiny bit of resdual making it rust.

Have you tried swapping around those humidifiers...i.e., if you've been putting the same one in the 200 all the time...try putting the other one in and see if it gets sucked dry as well. That'd eliminate possibly having a faulty unit.

Good idea, I haven't tried that yet but will. It may be faulty allowing the strings to rust. The J 45 hasn't gotten rusty strings.

Not in the US, at least not in the quantities required for a humidifier. It's sold in every supermarket for use in steam irons and humidifying devices. Costs about $2/gallon or so.

...Heheeee,..I was joking Nick!!

[flapper]

I sincerely apologize for wasting everyone who read this thread's time. Here's the same humidifier after spending one night in the J 45's soundhole:

IMG_0814.jpg

Looks like it wasn't my darling J 200 after all and it explains the rust.

trvir was right.

Sorry again.

hey no reason to apologize Tman...we're all here to learn. But this does beg the question is where exactly is all that water going?? [confused] Thinking now maybe the better suggestion was to take the one in your 45 which wasn't problematic and put it in the 200 to see if it got sucked dry..rather than taking the problematic one and putting in your 45...hopefully there isn't any water damage [scared]

That's next. I don't see any damage so perhaps dodged a bullet I hope.

Archived