Gibson Brands Forums

Lets hear some from the drummers

Rabs

Thanks for acknowledging girl drummers,one of the first was Honey(that was really her name)of The Honeycombs who with the help of electronics and recording wizard Joe Meek,did the hit drum oriented song "Have I the Right?"BTW re the girls you posted-lovely tom toms,I wouldn't mind having a go at them.

Sorry just woke up from another one...

You see thats whats I like to see (no not that lol even though she is cute).. The fact that you can tell shes having a blast doing what she does by that big smile on her face..

Which reminds me.. Thats one of the reasons I love Dave Grohl, you can tell hes into it by the huge grin on his face while playing.. Check this if you havent seen it, but then playing with Page & JPJ would bring a smile to anyones face :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsLxeW9RDIc

Peter is a good drummer! I think he's more of a swing and rock mashed up.

He was somethin'! He didn't sound like anyone else. He gave Kiss that swing. Honestly, I think his drumming made up half of the Kiss sound. Just like I think Bonzo made up half of Zeppelin's sound.

Peter was jazz-trained, for those of you who don't know that. Seeing as he was a few years older than the rest of the guys, he was the only one who didn't play because he saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. He grew up in the 50s, with swing jazz in the house. He took lessons from Gene Krupa, who is his idol. I have a Kiss book titled "Behind The Mask", that details the band's history and talks about all the records (ALL!. Not just the original stuff, 80s and 90s stuff too), and Peter talked about the first time he jammed with Gene and Paul. He said that they were playing Zeppelinish stuff (who wasn't back then??!?!?!?!?!), and he was in back doing a Charlie Watts jazzy thing. It's that mix of sound that made them who they were, musically. You got Paul's 60s style riffs and rhythm, Gene's McCartney style bass, Ace's sloppy, Jimmy Page type feel, and Peter's swing-rock mash! And together that makes the hottest band in the land, KISS! (I like the original JR Smalling intro on Alive! over the "YOU WANTED THE BEST, YOU GOT THE BEST....." It just seems overkill to me...).

He was somethin'! He didn't sound like anyone else. He gave Kiss that swing. Honestly, I think his drumming made up half of the Kiss sound. Just like I think Bonzo made up half of Zeppelin's sound.

Peter was jazz-trained, for those of you who don't know that. Seeing as he was a few years older than the rest of the guys, he was the only one who didn't play because he saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. He grew up in the 50s, with swing jazz in the house. He took lessons from Gene Krupa, who is his idol. I have a Kiss book titled "Behind The Mask", that details the band's history and talks about all the records (ALL!. Not just the original stuff, 80s and 90s stuff too), and Peter talked about the first time he jammed with Gene and Paul. He said that they were playing Zeppelinish stuff (who wasn't back then??!?!?!?!?!), and he was in back doing a Charlie Watts jazzy thing. It's that mix of sound that made them who they were, musically. You got Paul's 60s style riffs and rhythm, Gene's McCartney style bass, Ace's sloppy, Jimmy Page type feel, and Peter's swing-rock mash! And together that makes the hottest band in the land, KISS! (I like the original JR Smalling intro on Alive! over the "YOU WANTED THE BEST, YOU GOT THE BEST....." It just seems overkill to me...).

Yup, you hit it right on the head, Peter gave Rock music a swing in the Kisser!! And it fit's perfect with the beat that Gean was layn down.

"I Was Made For Loving You" is a great example of this beat/sound! You may have listed that one... sorry I'm to lazy to scroll down and look, but Peter's drumming even fit in with the dreaded Disco! That's quite an accomplishment to take a strange boring repetitive Disco beat and make it work for Rock!

Yup, you hit it right on the head, Peter gave Rock music a swing in the Kisser!! And it fit's perfect with the beat that Gean was layn down.

"I Was Made For Loving You" is a great example of this beat/sound! You may have listed that one... sorry I'm to lazy to scroll down and look, but Peter's drumming even fit in with the dreaded Disco! That's quite an accomplishment to take a strange boring repetitive Disco beat and make it work for Rock!

You may be surprised to find that Peter didn't play drums on Dynasty or Unmasked, except for his song on Dynasty, Dirty Livin' (which I LOVE!). Anton Fig (who played on Ace's solo album, and most of Ace's solo stuff over the years, including Anomaly) played the rest. I think that Richie Fontana, whom played drums on Paul's solo album, played on I Was Made For Loving You, all though I'm not sure. Interestingly enough, Vini Poncia, the producer of Peter's solo album, produced Dynasty and Unmasked at Peter's request, although Peter was hardly there.....

You may be surprised to find that Peter didn't play drums on Dynasty or Unmasked, except for his song on Dynasty, Dirty Livin' (which I LOVE!). Anton Fig (who played on Ace's solo album, and most of Ace's solo stuff over the years, including Anomaly) played the rest. I think that Richie Fontana, whom played drums on Paul's solo album, played on I Was Made For Loving You, all though I'm not sure. Interestingly enough, Vini Poncia, the producer of Peter's solo album, produced Dynasty and Unmasked at Peter's request, although Peter was hardly there.....

Oh dang...I got mud on my face! As I didn't know that. Sorry. [razz]

Oh dang...I got mud on my face! As I didn't know that. Sorry. [razz]

A lot of people didn't know that until the facts came out (and Ace and Anton told everyone). Peter was credited on both records even though he didn't do anything (except for Dirty Livin'). KISS (well Gene and Paul, as well as Bill Aucoin, the rest of the management company, and Neil Bogart and Casablanca Records. I don't think Ace cared. He knew it was the end) didn't want their fans and consumers, so to speak, to know what had been going on behind the scenes (which really started as early as Love Gun/Alive II, and especially in 1978, with all the KISS Meets The Phantom hoopla, and Ace threatening to leave the band which resulted in the solo albums. All because KISS was turning into a circus act. And the problems go back further to the Destroyer sessions in early 1976.), considering that most of their fan base by then was young, preteen boys, that didn't give a rats a$$ about the music (which the stuff between Destroyer and Unmasked, BIG KISS, as I like to call it, doesn't come close to the early stuff, although R&R Over and Love Gun, as well as Alive II and Ace's solo album, and even Paul and Peter's in some cases, were pretty good. Destroyer is not a proper KISS album IMHO. It's another Bob Ezrin studio production with a little help from four guys from New York by the name of Gene, Stanley, Paul, and Peter, although I like King Of The Nighttime World, Flaming Youth, and Do You Love Me?. The songs on that record sounded better on Alive II IMHO, especially Shout It Out Loud. Beth was a big mistake, even if it was the first of many Peter songs with the band and it brought them to a new level of fame. The original KISS fans hated Destroyer.), and more about the damn show. It bugged the crap out of everyone in the band except for Gene. Yes, even Paul was annoyed. I don't think I would want to be in a band where the front row was filled with young boys and their parents, rather than hot babes taking their tops off, and fans that were there for the music pumping their fists in the air as you play their favorite tunes.

Sorry for the rant, but I think that KISS at times was like a music version of the Secret Service.....

In high school, my oldest sister was in the percussion section. In Marching band she wanted to play the timbale's, the cluster of 3 to 5 tuned, snareless drums in one set. Sadly, for her, she was the only one in the percussion section who could keep time. Therefore, she was relegated, for three years, to playing lead snare drum. The timbale player was in a local garage band and couldn't keep consistent time to save his soul As a senior, the director relented and let her play the timbale's. Years later her daughter was in the same boat. The best time keeping drummer the band had, so she was the lead snare drummer. Years later when my kids were in high school marching band, I as a parent, was asked to march along side the band to pick up lost sticks, mouth pieces, uniform parts and anyone who passed out. My marching experience in high school served me well, but GAWD! the drum section was horrible! [scared] I had to take a Curly Shuffle skip every 15 beats or so to keep in step with the drummers. [blush] It was then I really came to appreciate being able to march to the beat of my capable, older sister. [cool]

Remember, too, that on one of the Beatles' first recordings, Ringo was told to sit it out and a well seasoned studio drummer filled in, due to Ringo's time keeping issues.

In high school, my oldest sister was in the percussion section. In Marching band she wanted to play the timbale's, the cluster of 3 to 5 tuned, snareless drums in one set. Sadly, for her, she was the only one in the percussion section who could keep time. Therefore, she was relegated, for three years, to playing lead snare drum. The timbale player was in a local garage band and couldn't keep consistent time to save his soul As a senior, the director relented and let her play the timbale's. Years later her daughter was in the same boat. The best time keeping drummer the band had, so she was the lead snare drummer. Years later when my kids were in high school marching band, I as a parent, was asked to march along side the band to pick up lost sticks, mouth pieces, uniform parts and anyone who passed out. My marching experience in high school served me well, but GAWD! the drum section was horrible! [scared] I had to take a Curly Shuffle skip every 15 beats or so to keep in step with the drummers. [blush] It was then I really came to appreciate being able to march to the beat of my capable, older sister. [cool]

Remember, too, that on one of the Beatles' first recordings, Ringo was told to sit it out and a well seasoned studio drummer filled in, due to Ringo's time keeping issues.

Same thing happened to Peter Criss during the Destroyer sessions.

Bob Ezrin didn't seem to like Pete and Ace much. Still a great producer nonetheless.

Grace Asylum Little Drummer Boy solo, listen to this man play!

His name is Dennis Baker. Let him get into it and let me know what you think. Alot of varying rythms at all that stuff. Around 2:20 is when he starts getting crazy.

You sure that wasn't Pete Best? Ringo is known for his meter.

Archived