Gibson Brands Forums

Lets hear some from the drummers

Rabs

Lets face it a good drummer is just as important as any other member of a band (if not more) but some of them go beyond that to something that is a mastery of their art..

of course

and probably the best modern day drummer

As well as Keith Moon, Nick Mason and Mitch Mitchell who along with the above are my faves, who do you like?

Drummer make the song sometimes, if it isnt for a good drummer then a riff is trash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjspyo-_aI

Bill Ward is one of my favs, the little things he does make the songs way more interesting.

Also this one stepped up in the world, i keep hearing stories about how when this record come out, metal drummers just started quiting. [lol]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZW8aczCnJg

Drummer make the song sometimes, if it isnt for a good drummer then a riff is trash.

Bill Ward is one of my favs, the little things he does make the songs way more interesting.

Also this one stepped up in the world, i keep hearing stories about how when this record come out, metal drummers just started quiting. [lol]

Haha yeah, you have to feel sorry for some metal and thrash dummers... some of them are just amazing they sound like they are shooting a machine gun rather than playing drums lol

Dave Lombardo I thin was the fastest kick drummer in the world at one point

I find it weird that no one mentioned Neil Peart....

And other skin hitters I love and admire: Mike Portnoy, Scott Coogan (formally of Lynch Mob and playing with Ace Frehley since 2006/7. The only drummer Ace has had that can accurately reproduce Anton Fig's drum solos in Ace songs like Rip It Out, Speedin' Back To My Baby, Breakout, etc. And HE PLAYS SNOW BLIND RIGHT! Also a badass singer. Does Love Gun to the tee and definitely better than Paul has been doing it in the last couple years. I love Paul, but his voice is going....but with dignity!), Anton Fig (All of Ace Frehley's solo records, except for Second Sighting, KISS's Dynasty and Unmasked records, and as many of you may know he is the house drummer for the Paul Shaffer Band on Letterman!), the late greats Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa, Freddie Gruber, Uncle John Turner, Frank Beard (Mr. Mustache as I like to call him...), Chris Layton (master of the blues shuffle IMHO), Mitch Mitchell (RIP!), Ginger Baker, Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr (not a virtuoso by any means but can you think of anyone else better to be in The Beatles? I think NOT!), Danny Carey of Tool, Michael Shrieve of the original Santana band w. Gregg Rollie (Soul Sacrifice live at Woodstock 1969. Need I say more?), Stan Lynch (formally of Tom Petty and The Heartbrakers. Great backing singer too. Especially when harmonizing with Benmont Tench, like on Refugee for example), Max Weinberg, Tommy Aldridge, Richie Fontana, Carmine and Vinnie Appice, Phil Rudd (no one does it better than him!), Chris Slade, Simon Wright, and of course Bonzo and Bill Ward.

And I always give props to my three men of KISS! Peter Criss the Catman (100,000 Years from Alive! It made me come alive as a drummer! Yes, I play drums too), Eric Carr the Fox (RIP!), and Eric Singer The Funny Guy (his work with other people such as Alice Cooper and Lita Ford are worth mentioning as well).

And of course, Alex Van Halen. Especially on VH II! Amazing drummer and person.

Elvin forever!!

Tony Williams....Blakey....Cobham, Bonham, Mitchell,Mouzon,Eric Gravatt, Peter Erskine, Omar Hakkim, Dennis Chambers.....Vinnie Colaiuta...Clyde Stubblefield...etc etc.

Most of them have/had unbelievable chops and technique!

I don't get Alex Van Halen. His drumming always seemed pedestrian to me. Good feel, but nothing to constitute the fifty piece kits he played.

There is/was only TWO drummers that I know of that had big kits and fully utilized the humungous kits they toured with: Mr. Peart, and the late great Eric Carr (The Fox!). Say what you will about the former, but he plays drums like no one else (how many people play like Bonzo?!?!?!?) and writes great lyrics and avoids using the topics that are shoved under our noses, using political issues, good things, good minded and hearted words, and even mythology. Every song tells a story (The Trees is a favorite of mine because, well...IT'S THE TRUTH!!!! The THINKING man's band!). As for The Fox, he brought Kiss up at their low point and made them heavy again, a sound that had been lacking since Alive! (1975-6), even with albums like Rock And Roll Over and Love Gun, which were bastardized because of the gimmicks that came with the record packaging (like the plastic toy gun that came with Love Gun. How misleading is that?!?!?!?!? I can only imagine the 10 year olds walking around school singing, "you pulled the trigger on my LOVE GUUUUUN"....). Let's face it, Creatures was the heaviest studio record since Dressed To Kill, and Eric (and even Vinnie Vincent) helped make that happen. And he was one helluva singer and as everybody knows one of the sweetest and nicest dudes to ever walk the planet. I'll always love and respect that man and his legacy lives on!

Alex overdoes it, you are right in that dept. Around 1984-1988 (1984-OU812), I think (not absolutely positively sure) he had TRIPLE bass. And a bunch of electronic drums that took away from the authentic VH sound (not concerning vocals. But I think that Hagar was just as well suited to VH as DLR was. Now, Cherone and VH III is another story....). The VH instrumental sound (again, not concerning vocals or Micheal Anthony's backing vocals) comes from Alex's old (early VH) sound mixed with Eddie's "brown sound". Oh, and Ted Templeman too..... And no one can replace Alex!

And it's amazing what Bonzo did considering he had no bells n' whistles. Just a single bass, snare, tom, two floor toms, hi-hat, a few cymbals, and occasionally a gong and a couple of tympanis!

Ron Bushy the drummer for Iron Butterfly made it to the top of the drumming totem pole with the drum solo he created for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. He was probably the first drummer to sit behind a multi-drum kit and utilize every one of them.Bushy was always adding to his highly modified Pearl kit and actually used to reinforce the heads with Mylar mainly to help them withstand his brutal pounding but happily found ot that an added benefit of this was to make them sound "heavier".He sometimes used up to 8 semi toms from the tiniest timbalis to the largest semis then he used as many as three floor toms.

My hero drummer Keith Moon often used multi-drum kits of his favourite Premier drums and had several custom made and wildly painted double bass drum,4 semi-tom and 2 floor tom sets with a plethora of cymbals and heavy duty mounting brackets made to withstand the shite knockings that he gave his drums and even then they had a very limited life span.

Back when I was in high school one of my buddys left his drum kit in my house because his parents were much older than most of our parents and couldn't take the noise.Anyway as luck should have it this was about the same time that there was a teachers strike so I sat at the drums for hours and hours and after about 2 months I could tap out a pretty passable In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida solo.I've been pining for a set of drums ever since I put a music room in the basement but after 30 guitars and about a dozen amps the missus drew the line at drums-even though they're her favourite instrument.I even offered to teach her but she didn't bite.I guess that I could get a set of Syndrums or a reasonable facsimile,that way I could rock away through my headphones.

If anyone can play Bonzo, Baker, Moon, Peart, AVH or Vinnie Paul tunes and solos (and have the right feel!), then they're a good drummer. Peter Criss is hard to do on the drums. It's not complicated (like trying to play any Rush stuff. Sheesh, even songs that didn't feature Peart were hard, like Working Man!), but you got to have that "feel". He is a jazz-bred rock drummer, so to speak, as is Baker, as well as Charlie Watts (among many other drummers of course!). Those old Kiss tunes have that Stonesy swagger (kinda like Aerosmith does) rather than the Bonham/Moon/Peart "thunder drummer" sound, which Kiss adopted when Eric Carr came into the picture. Songs like Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, I Stole Your Love, Shock Me, Baby Driver, Makin' Love, Parasite, Strange Ways, Cold Gin, and of course 100,000 Years (especially the Alive! version with his ever-epic solo!) are hard to play, because you have to feel the song. Now, Carr was one of the best drummers to ever live IMHO, and it sucks that he rarely had a chance to cut loose due to the style that Kiss was pursuing throughout the 80s, although Creatures had some good moments of his. Carr Jam 1981 (from Revenge) should show anyone what he was all about (skill wise). It's funny though, because I heard the Ace version of Breakout (he and Carr wrote it together during The Elder sessions) that he has been doing since the Comet days (it was on the first Frehley's Comet album, with Anton Fig on drums, no less) before I heard Carr Jam, and Ace's version is much faster and heavier (probably cause' he revised it a few years after it was written), whereas Kiss stuck with Bob Erzrin's original master tapes (on which Ace's original parts were overdubbed with Bruce, which is kind of rude to Ace, but I love Bruce and he did a great job so I don't give a crap), which had more of a 70s/classic Kiss sound to it. Great song, nonetheless, especially with Ace's lyrics (which were always sung by either Tod Howarth, Richie Scarlet, or Scott Coogan)!

I'll tell you now, Breakout, Carr Jam 1981 and the Alive! version of 100,000 Years feature two of the greatest drum solos I have ever heard!

Another very underrated drummer is Joey Kramer of Aerosmith. Carries that groove like no one else!

Archived