Gibson Brands Forums

So what do you think about Acid Jazz then?

Rabs

So the Rap thread was interesting.. some interesting (and some not so :P) views...

I then wonder what people think or thought of Acid Jazz.. It was also very much a 90s thing and as far as I know the pinicle was and still is Jamiroquai the biggest and most sucessful from that type of music.. I think that it certainly is a kind of "time and place" music that fit into its time well and even though some of it still sounds good, some of it sounds very dated now..

I will also say that as much as I may use the terms like Acid Jazz/Hip Hop/ Metal etc, I am actually against those kind of forms of pigeonholing and sub genres etc.. But dont know what else to call it?? :P :).. Acid Jazz is hard to explain, its sort of world music as it hits all different genres, kinda jazz, kinda funk, kinda pop... What do you reckon?

So heres the great Jamiroquai

and another great Acid Jazz band of the time, the Brand New Heavies

That's not music!! ;)

Only cuz i'm not a big fan....lol. Of course its music but yeah, it doesn't grab me so much. Like you, i'm not sure if Acid Jazz is the best description of the music.

Never did the Jamiroquai thing...all my friends loved him back in the day...a little jazz, a little funk, a little dance...a lotta energy though. I'll give it props there.

That's not music!! ;)

Only cuz i'm not a big fan....lol. Of course its music but yeah, it doesn't grab me so much. Like you, i'm not sure if Acid Jazz is the best description of the music.

Never did the Jamiroquai thing...all my friends loved him back in the day...a little jazz, a little funk, a little dance...a lotta energy though. I'll give it props there.

Well for me this music was around in my college years so carries alot of memories with it.. lots of fun summers and fun times in general (man im getting old :P) I still crack some Jamiroquai on from time to time and it all comes flooding back :)

I thought Acid Jazz was the likes Adrien Belew, Lee Riteneur, and Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Jamiroquai is totally R&B in my book.

It obviously passed you by then as its nothing like Jazz as such apart form sharing some musical heratige.

And if you think Jamiroquai is R&B then im not quite sure what to say to that apart from its nothing like R&B.. R&B by todays standrds is stuff like Boys to Men, Mariah Carey, Usher and the like.. (and by the way has not much to do with the original Rhythm and Blues music in the 60s and 70s which I actually like).

Don't know the definition but I like it. But then again I pretty much like anything. I'm a huge Rush fan yet I like the Bee Gees. I like Roy Clark, Johnny Cash, Segovia, any classical music for that matter, Joe Pass, standard jazz, funky music, Spanish style, etc. On XM radio I get stuck on Bluesville too.

It obviously passed you by then as its nothing like Jazz as such apart form sharing some musical heratige.

And if you think Jamiroquai is R&B then im not quite sure what to say to that apart from its nothing like R&B.. R&B by todays standrds is stuff like Boys to Men, Mariah Carey, Usher and the like.. (and by the way has not much to do with the original Rhythm and Blues music in the 60s and 70s which I actually like).

Just because Boyz to Men is R&B doesn't change the fact that Stevie Wonder's "Innervision" isn't still R&B. And Jamiriquai reminds me a lot of Stevie Wonder's 70's stuff. But maybe we're listening differently.

Just because Boyz to Men is R&B doesn't change the fact that Stevie Wonder's "Innervision" isn't still R&B. And Jamiriquai reminds me a lot of Stevie Wonder's 70's stuff. But maybe we're listening differently.

Thats just my own personal opinion about R&B, its one type of vocal style (the modern type) that I really dont like... So to me comparing the modern type of R&B to the classic soul music of the 60s and 70s is an insult to people like Stevie and Aretha, I just dont think its in the same league..

But that really just is my opinion.. I know plenty of people who like it.

Oh and by the way... thinking about it further I can totally see your comparism to the early Stevie stuff.. BUT the Acid Jazz stuff had a much more modern feel and vibe to it... anyway.. as I said to start with I dont like the term Acid Jazz very much but that is what it was known as for some reason (I have no idea who comes up with these silly names). The only reason I can see why they called it that was that I think the guitar and horn parts were Jazz influenced. Thats about it lol...

Id say it was way more Funk than Jazz.

Archived