Gibson Brands Forums

Put together a Pedal Board Today

CoreyT

(Mods, if this would be better in the review section, please move it)

I had looked at the Trailer Trash ones, but man, they are super expensive, and I do not need something like that for just playing at home and maybe jamming with a few friends in the future.

I really like their green LED one, but it would be around $700 or more for them to build it and put in a Voodoo power supply like I installed on mine today.

Took my time to route the power wires, patch cables, and it turned out pretty nice.

Missing is a tuner that I have coming, and it will mount below the tape delay unit on the far right.

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=170

PedalTrain

My unit, the Pedal Train 2 with soft case

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus

Mogami Gold Instrument 01RR (10in) patch cables for the pedals

The Mogami's are a little expensive, but I am also running a 10' and 18' cables for the guitar, and a 6" for when I use an Audio Technica wireless guitar setup.

The Mogami cables are very quiet and top notch.

Pic showing the Velcro on top of the horizontal rails

1.jpg

Pic showing upside down view of the power supply screwed onto the board

2.jpg

Pic showing upside down view of the pedal patch cords in place, and the power cords zip-tied neatly underneath

3.jpg

Pic showing closeup underneath

4.jpg

Pic showing power applied to the pedals and all lit up

5.jpg

Running just one of these power supplies compared to several of the Wall Wart plugs for each pedal keeps noise to zero, and makes for a very clean setup.

You do have to remove the small sticky rubber feet from the bottoms of the pedals, they simply pluck off.

If you do not remove them, your Velcro will not work right as it would be below the surface height of the rubber feet.

I was thinking of going with a smaller board, but I am glad I went with this one, as there is really only room to add on a few more.

I could mount the Carvin V3Ms pedal controller to the board too if I wanted to.

Dom, thanks.

In another thread of mine on tuners, I went to Guitar Center today as seen in the thread here, and the guy I had placed my order for the SG saw mine today for the first time when I brought it in for him to look into why it was not staying in tune.

He is also Queensryche's guitar tech, and he told me mine is kind of a rare 2012 '61 reissue due to the rosewood.

I remember seeing a thread on the site here about Gibson using layered rosewood, maybe mine is not layered and all one piece?

Thanks Damian for the link.

More eye candy to salivate over :D

I have been out of playing guitars since around '82, and I just got back into it a month back.

I keep reading about "effects loops" on amps, and I need to look into this, as I think my Carvin v3M may have it, but I am not sure what it is.

Does it mean you do not plug your effects in the normal way via the guitar cable going first into the first pedal, then the last pedal to the amp, and maybe plug them in some other way?

Hell yes on the Mogami cables. Its what I run from my last pedal to my amp and one of my short cables is a Mogami. My long term goal is to make all of my short cables Mogami.

Carvin v3m amps are nice......Effect loops in short; They insert effects after the preamp stage (tubes) and before the power tube section.....

Effect loops work best for modulation effects like delay, reverb, chorus, etc etc.....There are "serial" and "parallel" types...There's solid state

and tube run effect loops....So there's a variety of designs.....Do they work ?? Yes, if they are used right and understood....I use them at times

and often I don't.... www.mackamps.com www.londonpower.com ovinlabs.com/articles/fxloop all have nice short articles on them............

They're interesting to use, and great when used right........

If you've got "Pre Amp Out' and "Power Amp In" jacks, that would be the effects loop. I've not tried mine yet, but hear (as stated above). they're good for modulation type effects.

The PT2 is a great board, have one as my "large" board (hard case too, only one that isn't in a bag), a fair bit of room there. Went with a DC Brick, need to re-cable and re-think a bit of mine.

Yours looks very tidy, nicely done. That Tape Echo effect looks intriguing, I need to check one of those out.

That is pretty nice, there is also more room for pedals [biggrin]

We were visiting friends last week and had access to a pedalbord just like yours, same power source, where did you get the brackets? I don't think my friend is aware the power block can be installed like that.

I don't have a pedaltrain but i got one of their "boosters" to have access to the pedals in the back and it works like a charm even with my board. they sell 3 sizes, I got the large that acomodates 3 normal size pedals.

1600-PedalBoost3_detail2.jpg

I like the ravish, but I like the talking machine even better.

The former I really do not fit it into any thing I have played in the past, I just bought it because I thought it was cool :D

Back when I had a few pedals back in the 70s I had a Vox Wa Wa that said Thomas Organ on the bottom of it, an MXR Phase 90, and an EHX Big Muff.

So many new pedals out now, that is why I bought these to fool around with.

Back around '73 or '74 I was at a party with my '73 Les Paul Deluxe, and I let a friend there borrow it who was/is a fantastic guitar player.

He had brought along his EchoPlex with him, and I thought that thing was so cool.

When I saw that Wampler had a pedal that sounded kind of like a tape machine, I had to get it.

The guy way back then that was playing my LP through it was Randy Hanson before he started up his Hendrix thing many years ago.

I was at a local music store a week before I picked up my SG getting another guitar restrung, and the woman who worked there said Randy lived just around the corner, only a mile or so from me.

I have to catch one of his acts sometime, he plays a local club not to far from me when he is in town.

Man I'd kill for an old Big Muff! Which version did you have? We're the knobs laid out in a triangle with a big silver box, or we're there 3 knobs in a row at the top of a box with bold graphics?

I've got an old Electro Harmonix Small Stone from the 70's that I really love. It's an awesome phaser.

Anyways here's a little video explaining some of the controls on the El Capistan. Check it out

It's a really beautiful sounding, versatile pedal. And the repeats just have a way of sitting back perfectly in the mix when you play with a band.

Thanks watched that vid at work this morning.

I had triangle one as in this vid.

Are they better?

My wa wa has been at my sisters in storage for 15 years, not sure if the big muff is there or not.

Ps my knobs were plastic chrome and skinier.

Thanks watched that vid at work this morning.

I had triangle one as in this vid.

Are they better?

My wa wa has been at my sisters in storage for 15 years, not sure if the big muff is there or not.

Ps my knobs were plastic chrome and skinier.

That's the first version of the Big Muff (people usually refer to it as the "triangle muff"). It's not necessarily better than versions that came after it but it's got a really intense low end which some people prefer. The version that came after it is pretty much equally desirable, but I personally would kill for that triangle!

If you ever find it and want to sell it, I would pretty much give you all the money I have for it (which would likely be about half as much as what they go for on eBay or something). I'll give you my soul, my El Capistan, whatever you want haha

Here's a link to some good info on different versions of the Big Muff http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff_tone_differences.html

If you can't tell by now, I'm pretty obsessed with the Big Muff it's probably my favorite stompbox of all time. My first pedal was a Big Muff and getting that pedal was kindof like losing my virginity or something it was a major turning point for me. No joke, I value my Big Muff that much. I'm actually typing this message on my phone in between noodling with my Big Muff and a delay pedal that I built.

Thanks Dub, I believe I found my old Big Muff via your link.

Smaller diameter plastic chrome type knobs.

One of these days I will have to dig through some of my old stuff that has been at my sisters for years.

That new Carvin V3M amp I bought though lets me get a nice overdriven and distortion sound without the need for a pedal like that now.

That is why I really like the Carvin amp, wish I had one like it back when we had a group back in high school when we were playing all the time.

Josh, that pic in my sig is my desktop at home and work too :D

IMG_7402.jpg

Ooh so you have a Ram's Head? I built a copy of that version once and it sounded really awesome. I haven't played through an original Ram's Head but I bet it's pretty amazing.

Carvin amps are sweet and your SG is beautiful. I have a red SG too, but it's the "batwing" pickguard standard type. It's not as purty as yours, but I love it.

Yes, looks like a 73 to 74 Rams Heads one by this link.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/History_of_OEM_Big_Muffs.html#RamsFoxeyLady

EHX sure has come a long way, they have a ton of pedals out now.

Thanks, I knew when I was interested in getting back into playing again I wanted a '61 reissue since I liked playing my friends mid 60s SG back in the early 70s.

It blew away my '73 Les Paul Deluxe.

This new one will be a keeper that I will pass down to my sons one day, and any other guitars I pick up later.

I use to run that Big Muff into a 70s Fender Bandmaster with the Bandmaster cabinet that my dad and I put 2 12" speakers into.

I think we used Eminence back around '73 or '74 when I got the amp.

Pretty sure it was 50 watts, but no way was it as loud as this new Carvin I have, and I am only running it on the 7 watt setting right now.

I also had a small gizmo that may have been made by EHX that was smaller than a cell phone, but much thicker.

You plugged it right into the amp, and it had an on/off black slider switch and a volume control, and it was housed in a silver metal box.

Plug your guitar into it, hit the switch, and the Fender amp came alive with what seemed about double the volume.

I gave that away with the amp when I sold it when my X and I had our first baby back in '82.

Archived