Gibson Brands Forums

OMG so excited I can't stand it!!!

Gilliangirl

My dad found Gillian on the internet about two years ago and liked her. Then, he found this song and says "She's singing about your grandparents and me." My dad was born in 1923, McCalister Oklahoma and lived in the midst of the dustbowl territory. This is hands-down one of the top 5 best folk songs ever. And no one does it like Gillian and David.

I'm thinkin' you're lookin' for front row seats. . B)

It's rush seating, so you can bet your last dollar I'm going to be lined up at the gate with my running shoes on at 0700 hours on July 28. This old girl can still run! [biggrin]

I was thinking about making the trip to Calgary after seeing this. Looks like a great festival. Saw Gillian and David most recently last summer here in Chicago and it was a great show. Definitely worth getting excited about.

Windmills, the Calgary Folk Festival usually has some pretty impressive artists. I go almost every year. It runs for 2.5 days. I was waffling on which day to go because there's some serious talent on both days, but this recent announcement tipped me over the edge! If you do decide to come, let me know and we could meet there! Suburude (also on this forum), Mrs. Suburude and I met one year at the Redmond Washington folk fest. Gillian was playing there too. They put on such an amazing show. This year there's a ton of great talent: Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Mary Chapin carpenter, Chris Isaak, and a whole lot more. Anyway, here's a link if you're interested........

http://www.calgaryfolkfest.com/artists/

My dad found Gillian on the internet about two years ago and liked her. Then, he found this song and says "She's singing about your grandparents and me." My dad was born in 1923, McCalister Oklahoma and lived in the midst of the dustbowl territory. This is hands-down one of the top 5 best folk songs ever. And no one does it like Gillian and David.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDxO50GVes

Absolutely one of my top fav songs from Gil and Dave. [wub]

Windmills, the Calgary Folk Festival usually has some pretty impressive artists. I go almost every year. It runs for 2.5 days. I was waffling on which day to go because there's some serious talent on both days, but this recent announcement tipped me over the edge! If you do decide to come, let me know and we could meet there! Suburude (also on this forum), Mrs. Suburude and I met one year at the Redmond Washington folk fest. Gillian was playing there too. They put on such an amazing show. This year there's a ton of great talent: Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Mary Chapin carpenter, Chris Isaak, and a whole lot more. Anyway, here's a link if you're interested........

http://www.calgaryfo...st.com/artists/

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely let you know if it looks like I'm making the trip.

If I ever met Gillian Welch, I would see my second to blow a little truth-serum her way and then ask her if she ever got just a bit tired of the J-50.

If she ever dreamt about flamboyant Birds, grandioso Jumbos or fountanious Marts.

A tip corny here also, I'm afraid, , , but honestly - wouldn't it be something. . . .

If I ever met Gillian Welch, I would see my second to blow a little truth-serum her way and then ask her if she ever got just a bit tired of the J-50.

If she ever dreamt about flamboyant Birds, grandioso Jumbos or fountanious Marts.

A tip corny here also, I'm afraid, , , but honestly - wouldn't it be something. . . .

Some of us hit on a single guitar early in life, and keep coming back to it. Her J-50, and David's Triumph, are the perfect complements to their writing and singing: spare, plain, soulful, and intense.

No embellishment needed.

Some of us hit on a single guitar early in life, and keep coming back to it. Her J-50, and David's Triumph, are the perfect complements to their writing and singing: spare, plain, soulful, and intense.

No embellishment needed.

Yeah yeh, obviously you're right. I think I get their image and it works fine. Just thought about the temptation to get some other tones between the hands once in a while.

And then those dangerous under-levels, you know.

You answer the same way you would do if I asked you if there ever was any other women inside your mind than your wife heheh, , , :

No, no absolutely no – She was an angel when I met her and still is to this day. The only flower in the field, I never even dreamt of another.

But after the serum Nick :

Now that you mention it, there was a pair of Chinese twins that had me slightly turned on after half a bottle of gin back in 1984.

It was more that sub-thing I was after.

I think Gil has a number of guitars that she keeps at home. I have seen home videos of her playing an old L-5. She has also had a Guild or two, one was stolen.

As for the J-50..... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! [biggrin]

Yeah yeh, obviously you're right. I think I get their image and it works fine. Just thought about the temptation to get some other tones between the hands once in a while.

And then those dangerous under-levels, you know.

You answer the same way you would do if I asked you if there ever was any other women inside your mind than your wife heheh, , , :

No, no absolutely no – She was an angel when I met her and still is to this day. The only flower in the field, I never even dreamt of another.

But after the serum Nick :

Now that you mention it, there was a pair of Chinese twins that had me slightly turned on after half a bottle of gin back in 1984.

It was more that sub-thing I was after.

Well, I ain't talking about those twins...or their mother.

I think in Gillian's case, that old J-50 just captures the essence of her music, which is dark, austere.....and bright at the same time. Coupled with the "honk" of Rawlings' little archtop, it just forms the perfect backdrop for their songs.

They are all about simple story-telling, often of hard times, disappointment, and loss. But they are also about survival. It's pure Americana in the best sense, and it requires a "workingman's" (or woman's) guitar like that J-50. People who have given up on life don't write songs. Where there's music, there's hope.

Yeah, I've got a bunch of different guitars I play around with (and she probably does, too), but I always save the last dance for my old J-45.....

Archived