Gibson Brands Forums

Kaleb's Weekly Throwdown Episode 1

kaleb

This is the first installment in my new weekly polls appropriately titled "Kaleb's Weekly Throwdown"! This is sorta like the live album polls I have done in the past (only NOT stupid!).

I'm not one for competing in this kind of stuff, but I thought I could bring some That Metal Show stuff to the forums. You'll never know what will be coming up! I'm not giving it away, but I might get stumped in the future....(hint, hint...). And somewhere along the line, I'll have something based upon the "Pick Of The Week" segment.

So, let's get it over with and put the chicken against the truth (bad pun...)! I think both albums are great and I highly advise both, but I pick Chickenfoot. The songs are a bit better, Sammy's a better singer than Dave, Eddie has lost some things in his playing since the early 90s, I like Joe's tone better (I think Eddie used WAY too much gain. I don't care for that boxy 5150 sound, sorry..), and c'mon, Michael Anthony is there!

Keep in mind, I have no problem with Wolfgang being in VH. I'm just happy they don't pretend it's Mike, which is a concept lost on some other groups...He's legit.

So, let's kick off the throwdown!

I've not heard both disc's all the way through but I think Van Halen's last good album was For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, not calling them a hack or anything I just cut it off there and the early years with Roth are the better ones IMHO.

Chickenfoot.... again not a hack but it's a little to much for me. [thumbup]

Guest farnsbarns

Oh dear, oh dear. Has it really come to this? Next week we can do "what's better, red straps or blue straps?"

Guest farnsbarns

Is this a new poll?

I mostly prefer light tan or black or natural leather.

P.

I like blue with sparkly things on it. A touch of pink would make my knees weak.

I have a nice dark red velvety one and a tweed locking strap by planet lock. I'd quite like one of the padded Gibson straps though but a bit pricey.

I prefer black, brown or tan straps usually, depending on the guitar. Generally all leather...

(Kaleb, sorry to contribute to the thread hijack... I am not at all familiar with either album, or with much if any Chickenfoot at all). So I'm not giving the poll to anyone. Wait, that didn't sound right at all... [flapper]

I prefer black, brown or tan straps usually, depending on the guitar. Generally all leather...

(Kaleb, sorry to contribute to the thread hijack... I am not at all familiar with either album, or with much if any Chickenfoot at all). So I'm not giving the poll to anyone. Wait, that didn't sound right at all... [flapper]

I got polled by T-Bone. [blush]

Doctor Love- KISS

That hurts, Cookieman....B)

Actually, I would love to use that name for an album of mine if I ever did one! But guess who would take legal action[crying]..... My favorite Don Henley lyric ever wrote is "Kill all the lawyers..."..... No offense to lawyers....But some of these big shot celebrities are sue happy like the Three Stooges are slap-happy.....

And I ain't looking to buy any new KISS material...Mind you....

That hurts, Cookieman....B)

Actually, I would love to use that name for an album of mine if I ever did one! But guess who would take legal action[crying]..... My favorite Don Henley lyric ever wrote is "Kill all the lawyers..."..... No offense to lawyers....But some of these big shot celebrities are sue happy like the Three Stooges are slap-happy.....

And I ain't looking to buy any new KISS material...Mind you....

Actually, Henley borrowed that one... penned by William Shakespeare.

I've not listened to either album. So I quickly looked them up on You Tube.

Van Halen...Mmmm. Roth is past it. He sounds like a club singer and Eddie's playing is lame and dated.

Chicken wings....Sammy Hagar has one of the best voices in rock. Far better than Roth. Satriani? He doesn't fit in the band.

He's not that sort of player.It would be better as a three piece with Hagar on guitar.

So, on that point, I choose.................Chicken in the basket because of Hagar.

But, I wouldn'tbuy either of them and I'll have my money back on the new Bonamassa one too.

Listening to new albums with all the tech, Small amps, effect loops etc. I think rock has lost something. I see vids of players recording solo's sitting next to the mixer. I don't think it's giving the right feel for players. Get in a big room with your amps and blast it out.

When I listen to old albums they have some soul that new music has lost.

I've not listened to either album. So I quickly looked them up on You Tube.

Van Halen...Mmmm. Roth is past it. He sounds like a club singer and Eddie's playing is lame and dated.

Chicken wings....Sammy Hagar has one of the best voices in rock. Far better than Roth. Satriani? He doesn't fit in the band.

He's not that sort of player.It would be better as a three piece with Hagar on guitar.

So, on that point, I choose.................Chicken in the basket because of Hagar.

But, I wouldn'tbuy either of them and I'll have my money back on the new Bonamassa one too.

Listening to new albums with all the tech, Small amps, effect loops etc. I think rock has lost something. I see vids of players recording solo's sitting next to the mixer. I don't think it's giving the right feel for players. Get in a big room with your amps and blast it out.

When I listen to old albums they have some soul that new music has lost.

I agree with the small amps, effects loop thing. Marshall Stacks cranked... [thumbup]

We had this discussion in the past here when the first VH vid came out.

I think BOTH have good things to offer, but very different things. They don't compare to each other, and that is to say that you don't have to like both, OR not like one to like the other.

Here it is: the last time we heard a version of VH (the real one) with DLR these guys were young. We tend to judge them based on where they left off. We expect leg kicks instead of broken hips. We haven't had the benifit of seeing them grow and age, and neither has DLR had the experience between then and now. Vocalist loose thier range, and that is another challenge. (unlike a guitar player who actually can just get better).

Add to that the challenges of replacing a veteran rocker like Anthony with a kid, and now you have what amounts to a legacy to live up to and expectations without the same tools. REALLY? And on top of that, expect Ed to come out with a smoking lead to save the day we ain't never heard before when there are about a million guitar players who have spent years stealing his licks and studying his every move?

But to me, what MADE VH back then is still there...the humor, the effort, and the personality. Wondering what will be next, and seeing what they can pull off. Thier balls may be sagging, but they still got em. So I like it. I like the vids I have seem of the live shows...I like the way the kid has to remind Dave how the song goes. It's like being in a bar and watching a band go for it and see if they can pull it off, that stretching.

I don't like MY VH polished. I'll take it raw like this.

Now CHICKENFOOT:

I don't see how WHY anyone would want to compare anything to them. You can't win that one unless you change the rules. These guys know what to do, how to do it, and they DO it.

These guys know exactly how to bring the rock, and in the case of Chickenfoot, they are doing what they know how to do. It ain't about credentials, you can strip them of those if you want (you can't...but if you could). It is what they DO with their knowledge and experience, and practice, and ability.

You can't compare Micheal Anthony to anyone. The guy knows his stuff, he HAS been bringing the rock for years and years. He knows this game, and he knows how to put it down there. Wolfgang does not suck because he ain't Micheal Anthony. No one is. We may tend to forget who he is or what he is, but HE hasn't.

Chad Smith: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been playing a brand of FUNK on ROCK radio all the way to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Why? Chad Smith. Who would even think to do such a thing? Chad Smith. Why would anyone even want to hear funk played rocked out so much? Chad Smith.

Sammy surprises me. I thought his early stuff was kinda cliche' and I could care less. I was surprised when he got the Van Halen gig, because his "style" didn't seem to eminate "cool". And the new VH was a different, weaker, form of Rock. But somewhere down the road, if you strip all the image, put the stripes and such aside, what the guy has is a killer voice that he not only still has, but KNOWS how to use. The guy actually knows a thing or two about how to rock, and has a voice to do it. Instead of getting washed up or just carrying on like other rock vocalist, this man has has taken what he got and improved it and stepped up to bigger things. Damn.

Satch is Satch. He does what he wants because he can. If this IS a competition, the only chance a guy has is to be glad he doesn't see it that way, or he just decides not to get out of bed that morning. I can't even figure out how to have a discussion about it.

I wouldn't say that Eddie isn't as good as he used to be. He's just lost so many brain cells....Kinda like Ace Frehley...(NOT comparing those two. I'll skip ahead of the comments and cut to it: Yes, I REALIZE THAT THEY ARE DIFFERENT! Well, both of them have the same kind of influences and they had similar taste in drugs! And they can't remember certain things anymore...I wonder if Eddie is late all the time?). Unlike Michael Schenker who completely turned his life around and keeps getting better and better like the negative crap was never there! Jeez, half my heroes are ex drunks/druggies....Ace, Eddie, Schenker, Page, Gorham (UNDERRATED!!), Robertson, etc. Gary Moore, who is one of those "special" heroes of mine, died cause' of heavy alcohol consumption. (his heart attack was alcohol induced). There's a reason why I see Alex Lifeson in a different light....

Back to Eddie, he's still great. He's just lost a tiny bit of his technical ability and his chops (cause' of the substance abuse most likely. And his cancer, too..). But Joe is technically a better guitar player and musician.

David Lee Roth ruined the whole thing, actually. It's him making the band embarrassing. And, as stated before, every thing they do will be judged on past glories. Some People expect A Different Kind of Truth to be another Fair Warning.

That's what happens when bands change lineups too much; they lose the mystique and dynamic that the band originally had.

That's what ruined bands like KISS (well, that wasn't made to last anyways....), UFO, Pink Floyd, and many other groups.

If more bands kept their original lineups intact, they would still be rockin' without judgement. That's why Rush does so well today. No one (at least that I know of) is expecting Clockwork Angels to be another Moving Pictures or 2112.

Archived