Gibson Brands Forums

My New 70's Tribute!!!

RUSHian

Here is my Honey Badger- My new 70's LP Gold Top Tribute!

LP02.jpg

70LP01.jpg

BACK.jpg

VOLUTE.jpg

I love this guitar!!! I love the 70's features not available in the other Tributes, That is why I purchased it, BUT I'm putting in P90's To make this Honey Badger growl! The Mimi HBs are a tad tame for me. I recommend this very highly the quality is awesome!!

Maple neck is more stable than Mahagany. Backed Maple neck is great!

Gibson has been doing Mahagony and Rosewood for years without any drastic issues to make this sudden change.......this sudden change was due to the raids...its an economic desiscion to keep the company from going under IMHO. Is just saddens me that Gibson seems to be singled out to change their guitar building practices as other manufactures continue to use rosewood on thier $199 guitars.

I like my Gibsons to be a certain way and rosewood fingerboards is one them as what they were use to be made. I guess my next Gibson will be a custom shop one.

I know...I was referring to fingerboards (baked maple vs. rosewood) I have a couple of Norlin Les pauls myself, one with ebony fingerboard and the rest with "rosewood" fingerboard :)

They also made some Les Pauls with Maple Necks... I like mine- no issues here!

They also made some Les Pauls with Maple Necks... I like mine- no issues here!

Yes, but not many, and many of those maple fingerboard guitars really never got popular for players, but perhaps for collectors now. Norlin did that to cut cost. Gibson is using baked maple, not really to cut cost but due to the feds IMHO. If they were using baked maple to cut cost, then why are the prices for these studios and the Gibson SG standards remain about the same if not a little more compared to when Gibson was offering these guitars with rosewood fingerboards? Good thing I got my 60s tribute gold top les paul when they were made with rosewood fingerboard....this goes for the several SG standards I have also before 2010.

Sweet Guitar. Just saw it in the email Gibson sends out.

I vote to leave the pickups in for a couple months before deciding to change them. Just a thought

BTW - Never understood why people have to jump on a NGD thread and find something to criticize about what the person just bought. Oh well.

It's beautiful. Enjoy it.

Congrats on the guitar

I was looking on getting one of these or the firebird tribute.

not knocking it but it looked real good till i saw the back of the

body. it just looks like hell.

the wood grain not filled or sealed just the same old sloppy finish

of the faded studios. is the wood finish really that bad on the back of the body ?

im sure it sounds and plays great but i dont think i could live with that level of workman ship.

Yes, but not many, and many of those maple fingerboard guitars really never got popular for players, but perhaps for collectors now. Norlin did that to cut cost. Gibson is using baked maple, not really to cut cost but due to the feds IMHO. If they were using baked maple to cut cost, then why are the prices for these studios and the Gibson SG standards remain about the same if not a little more compared to when Gibson was offering these guitars with rosewood fingerboards? Good thing I got my 60s tribute gold top les paul when they were made with rosewood fingerboard....this goes for the several SG standards I have also before 2010.

Keep in mind, the street price of a guitar has 40% dealer markup, the other 60% is the sale price for Gibson and that includes everything including materials, fixed costs, labor costs, taxes, profit, etc.

Pricing a guitar differently because it has a non-rosewood fretboard is splitting hairs, you could get a $10 break in the price I am guessing, that is assuming rosewood costs any money because we know that a $99 squier will have rosewood.

Frankly I think you are using failed logic. Including that baked maple is not a good wood.

If guitars had baked maple for 50 years and then they started making them with rosewood you would not like it.

Congrats on the guitar

I was looking on getting one of these or the firebird tribute.

not knocking it but it looked real good till i saw the back of the

body. it just looks like hell.

the wood grain not filled or sealed just the same old sloppy finish

of the faded studios. is the wood finish really that bad on the back of the body ?

im sure it sounds and plays great but i dont think i could live with that level of workman ship.

If you cannot live with that finish you should be able and willing to pay more. I have two Les Pauls, one is a faded with almost no finish/grain fill and a Custom Shop with all the bells and whitles.

Both are excellent guitars for the price, the one without finish is actually more resonant, nothing kills resonance like grain filler.

I like my Gibsons to be a certain way and rosewood fingerboards is one them as what they were use to be made. I guess my next Gibson will be a custom shop one.

I think you probably ought to try a baked maple board before deciding against one. I had to look at mine pretty closely to verify that it indeed wasn't rosewood. And it seems to play as well -- if not better -- than, er, rosewood...

If you cannot live with that finish you should be able and willing to pay more. I have two Les Pauls, one is a faded with almost no finish/grain fill and a Custom Shop with all the bells and whitles.

Both are excellent guitars for the price, the one without finish is actually more resonant, nothing kills resonance like grain filler.

i do have 2 gibsons did you see my sig.? so are you saying your custom shop guitar has less resonace than faded guitar.? sounds like a good test for myth busters. i just think a 800 dollar+ guitar should have a better finish at least look as good as a epi or mex strat.

Archived