Gibson Brands Forums

Need Advice on New Nut for Les Paul Studio

rjames1973

All,

I have a wine red Les Paul Studio that I bought new a little over a year ago. The guitar sounds great, but it will not stay in tune. I've had the guitar setup with new .10 gauge strings, and my luthier also cut a couple of the nut grooves a little more in an effort to fix the tuning problem. He also applied graphite in the nut grooves, but none of this has helped solve the tuning issue. I'm thinking it might be time to bite the bullet and have a new nut installed to replace the stock corian nut. Could anyone recommend a decent nut that I could have installed? It doesn't have to be the most expensive, but should be good enough to keep the guitar from going out of tune. Also, if anyone has any advice on other options I could try to resolve the tuning issue without spending the money on a new nut, please let me know. Thanks!

What brand of strings are you using??? I've only changed one nut on a Gibson, which was my BluesHawk. I went with bone just because that's what my taste gears me towards. But I would check the bridge and the tuners first before I would put a new nut on.

If your tuners are really easy to turn then that is most likely your problem. I know that's how it is with my SG Standard, the tuners are so loose that if I bend a step up it goes right out of tune.

If the nut that's on there has been worked on a little, then it's probably not the nut that's the problem.

Make sure you're stretching the strings when you tune. Like somebody else said, it might be the tuners but it's probably an issue with how you're installing and stretching your strings. Wound strings should be installed with about an inch of slack so you end up with about two and a half turns around the post when it's tuned. Unwound strings should have about another half inch of slack so they end up with three and a half turns around the post.

Keep stretching them and retuning them until they cannot stretch any further. You will have to stretch and retune each string about five times before they're fully stretched.

You don't need a new nut. Make sure you are "locking the string" around the tuning post when you change strings. You tube has many videos of this if you need assistance. This

is the single most important thing i did to improve tuning stability. Second, ensure your strings are properly stretched. Third, after your strings have stretched, adjust the intonation. The intonation of strings changes as they stretch.. You will only need to do this step once and also if you change brands or gauges of strings. It will also help if you install better tuners than the standard plastic tulip style on most Les Pauls. Locking tuners are the best but standard Grovers are excellent as well. I put Grover's on mine and it helped a bunch. I also switched to earnie ball RPS strings. They are reinforced at the ball end and help to insure that the wrapped end does not slip any after the initial stretching period. I do not have tuning problems any more and you won't either if you follow those steps.

• 8 years later...

Tuning instability is due to the string break-over angle of the tune-a-matic bridge and nut. These are design flaws.  Replace the bridge with a roller type and replace the nut with a Tusq  type and it should be much better. 

3 hours ago, Geobram said:

Tuning instability is due to the string break-over angle of the tune-a-matic bridge and nut. These are design flaws.  Replace the bridge with a roller type and replace the nut with a Tusq  type and it should be much better. 

Uh..... no.  

16 hours ago, Geobram said:

In One Word.. NO.. 

it's not the break angle over the TOM and Bridge and no need to go to roller nut or roller bridge. (oh BTW, your strings CAN touch the back of the bridge and still be a great sounding guitar)

the design is more than 60yrs old and there are literally thousands (millions ) of guitars that stay in tune.

thanks for bringing up a post from 8 years ago,, (2012).. I'm sure RJames1973 hasn't gotten his guitar fixed by now and will be resolved with your reply.