Gibson Brands Forums

Back in Black - Custom J-45 Arrives

Always_Black

Waited forever (3 months actually). And, she arrived at the house the day I left for a trip to Cali for 4 days. I opened up the box last night about 1am. She's a J-45 in ebony with AJ inlays in an ebony fretboard. The bridge is ebony as well, the rosette abalone, and a matching 7th fret inlay in the headstock. The only error in the order was the pickguard. It's the standard pearloid but was supposed to be black. Easy fix. We'll get to that when I'm ready to set her down for a little while.

Thanks to my fabulous wife (yep, married her) for making it all happen and to my buddy Charlie and TC at guitar center for helping guide the way........

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

Lovely guitar.

I think if I ordered a custom shop guitar I would go with the AJ in a cherry burst finish. The arrowhead inlays, to me, are the most beautiful Gibson ever made -- and it is interesting that they only made it onto the original AJ and then sat as an idle idea until the AJs went back into production.

This guitar probably sounds great with J45 body and bracing patterns and still has that bling an AJ is known for. The SWD type rosette is a nice addition and I am sure the new black pick guard will make it all look right.

Congratulations on your beautiful guitar. May I ask the price?

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

I have two Gibsons (J-45s) with abalone rosettes and the pickguard covers about a third of the abalone on both. I see yours doesn't. Did you request that? Or, did Gibson finally get their act together?

All the best with your new toy.

To keep GillianGirl's tradition going' date=' what was the first song you played on her?

Very cool guitar.[/quote']

First up was Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi, next up was Angie followed by New Orleans Ladies by LeRoux. I then segued into some Kid Rock, Guns n Roses, then an original.

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

I have two Gibsons (J-45s) with abalone rosettes and the pickguard covers about a third of the abalone on both. I see yours doesn't. Did you request that? Or' date=' did Gibson finally get their act together?

All the best with your new toy.[/quote']

Gearbasher, you know....I thought about that several times, but never called. They got it right all by themselves !

Archived