Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustics

littlekenny

Do you guys seriously like and enjoy Ovations?

Everything about them makes me want to break my fingers so I have an excuse not to play one.

Stupid ****ing round back that rotates while you're playing it' date=' ****ing cheap-*** plastic back, GOD-AWFUL sounding when plugged in. I've done sound for SO many people with Ovations at live gigs, and as soon as they're plugged in they don't understand why their guitar only has one sound no matter how you EQ it: SUPER TREBLE GLASS-SHATTERING SHRIEKING TONE FROM HELL. And it's not just the cheap ones, I've known a couple people with REALLY expensive models (like, $4K). Soundwise they're not TOO bad unplugged, but I don't know if it's the mic/pre-amp they put in them or the fact that they are incapable of producing a tone anything but awful. [/quote']

I like the sound of ovations. I've always wanted one, but have never gotten around to buying one. One of my favorite guitarist plays ovation - Al DiMeola. Actually when I say DiMeola, Delucia, and McClaughlin in concert both Al and John played ovations - Al on steel string and John on a nylon string one. Thier sound may be limited, but it is definately one of a kind and recognizable.

What I don't like about ovations is the thin line. I like the original fat round back and no, I've never had a problem with them slipping in my lap.

For my collection I have a cheap Fender cut away acoustic, Sigma 12 string, Yamaha Classical, and an Alvarez Yairi off-set classical (off-set was before they made cut away for classical guitars).

I like that Ovation a lot Axe, I would have bought one a while ago, but at the time, it was way out of my range. I love my Ovation. I used to own a Celebrity CS257 shallow body, but got rid of it for a Ibanez AEL30, then that turned into a Martin DCX1E, which is now an Ovation Standards Elite 6778 LX (marked Standard Balladeer 6778 LX in the soundhole). The shallow body was extremely comfortable to play, especially standing up. I have a mid depth now with is still pretty comfortable standing up, but both sucked sucked sitting down without one of these... Slip Grip. Hey Axe, if yours slips a lot, check one of these out, it adheres to the bottom and works great. I had one on my Celebrity, but it had a different glue that needed to be heated with a hair drier and didn't stick too well, they changed adhesives and it hasn't come loose or anything. Here's a pic of it with my Strat and BFG:

guitars002.jpg

Some nice acoustics here but not near enough Gibson's!!!

For those that are considering a new acoustic, don't overlook the Gibson Advanced Jumbos... Super guitars.

Here is my 2005 Gibby AJ and my 1993 Taylor 612C. Totally different tone's from them as the Gibby is Sitka/Rosewood and the Taylor is Sitka/Maple (Both solid wood, no laminate). I have pickups in both and can play through my Genz Benz Shenendoah 200 watt stereo deluxe amp when needed but mostly I play just acoustically.

I am primarily an acoustic fingerstyle player, but recently made a great trade for a handbuilt acoustic I had. I traded it for a 1995 Eric Clapton Signature Strat with Gold Lace Sensor pickups and a Mesa/Boogie Satillite 60 tube amp built back in 1990. It gives me a nice combo for playing the 3 or 4 blues licks I know... =D> (I have to try and learn more electric stuff) Anyway, photos of my stuff below....

MyAcousticsSmall.jpg

AcousticBackSmall1.jpg

This one shows my new EC Strat, the Boogie and my Genz Benz acoustic amp.

StratAmps.jpg

Here are my acoustics.... Top, Alhambra Auditorium Luthier, hand made, hand painted one of a kind a project that took me about a year to complete. I did not build or paint the guitar myself, I left that for the professionals...

Bottom, Takamine EG440SE good solid player sounds good...

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

Wow there are many beauties shown here. I kept it simple for my main one. I've got an '07 Taylor 310CE Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric. To me, this had the best overall tonal qualities when plugged in (the Expression System is awesome). I do like the sound of Gibsons unplugged though...

Archived