Gibson Brands Forums

It's inconceivable to me that

jannusguy2

I will say, to me, that is a great sounding guitar/vocal/recording AND a great song delivered by the songwriter [thumbup]

I have no pretense at all of sounding/delivering a performance like that, IF I bought and played that Aaron Lewis guitar.

Nuff SAID at any price point.... [-(

This is my 1953. Pretty sure it came by its character naturally. It suits me just fine for 1/2 the $ of Willy's when I bought it a couple of years ago.

53_SJ_1.jpg

Really great looking guitar, Rob! I would rather own that one.... then the 'sig model'....for sure!

You're comparing apples and oranges here. This thing is sold as an Arron Lewis souvenir, and is priced accordingly, That it's probably a pretty nice sounding guitar is irrelevant. Especially since the intended buyer will stick it in a display case and probably never play it.

-- Bob

well, i guess i just don't get it. the only "sig model" i own is my smeck radio grande RI. when i bought it i barely knew who smeck was and it was long before j. browne tapped it as his sig model. different strokes i suppose. oh, and i play it regularly....

I'm glad I finally saw a video of Aaron Lewis. Here I was, embarrassed, thinking I really should know who the guy is because he must be super important to have a guitar named after him. [blush] Not my bag, and he seems like a very good player and singer, but I was expecting someone on the order of John Lennon or Bob Dylan.

Jannusguy, that '53 is just stunning. There's nothing quite like the yellowed buttons and binding on an old sunburst.

Untitled.jpg

I really don't rate that as a credible relic job, bit too frenzied for me... as you say it looks like a cat has had a go at it. Genuine relicing from play could (at a stretch) see those kind of markings near the end of the board on one side if someone had a awfully wild and crude strumming technique, but for them to be on both sides would suggest a really unusual strumming strength and the downstrokes wouldn't get anywhere near as close to the seams between the top/board on the lower shoulder either. It looks overly deliberate for me....

Then comparing it to the obviously nice & new bridge with the sheen on it etc.. it just screams relic model, granted an audience won't tell from an audiences distance, but when up close a quick look at that guitar and it becomes extremely obvious it's factory created wear.

As was said before, I'm sure it's someone's bucketlist guitar but I wouldn't pay 7.5k for it never mind 7.5k over the price of a non-reliced standard model of the Aaron Lewis. I don;t mind relic'd guitar, it's just a finish option after all, but had I ordered one, took receipt of it, opened the case and saw that, I'd be quite disappointed.

This looks much more believable to me...

Gibson+L-1.2.jpg

I really don't rate that as a credible relic job, ...

The pseudo-wear on #3, seen in this earlier thread looks pretty similar, so I was thinking that the relicing is an attempt to duplicate the the damage on Aaron Lewis's original. If so, "realism" of the wear pattern doesn't really enter into it. You're paying big bucks to get a guitar with cat scratches in the same places his has cat scratches.

-- Bob R

The pseudo-wear on #3, seen in this earlier thread looks pretty similar, so I was thinking that the relicing is an attempt to duplicate the the damage on Aaron Lewis's original. If so, "realism" of the wear pattern doesn't really enter into it. You're paying big bucks to get a guitar with cat scratches in the same places his has cat scratches.

-- Bob R

Oh well then! That makes it all worth it! My interest in artist memorabilia/ephemera pretty much stops at the occasional autograph and a tour t-shirt, maybe. S'pose I'm just jaded by the business I'm in. They wouldn't make this stuff if there weren't buyers. P.T. Barnum was right.

... P.T. Barnum was right.

Well, that's not really fair, is it? No one's being fooled or exploited here. Both the dealers and their customers know exactly what they're getting for their money. Just because you and I wouldn't choose to lay down that kind of dough on one of these doesn't mean people who do aren't getting their money's worth. For all we know, the buyers -- and there must be some, given that dealers have ordered at least 19 of these things -- are deliriously happy with their purchases and will remain so forever and ever. Seems to me more a case of "It takes all kinds ..." than "There's a sucker born every minute."

-- Bob R

Fair points there, gents.

I would agree its probably modeled after the original, perhaps as it dirties up (if it were to be played) it may start to look more authentic, but it probably will sit in a case as part of a collection.

I'll rephrase and say that the wear pattern is not to my taste.

The 'distressed' look in any antique, requires a subtlety and true artisans of this genre have dazzling examples in their understated way. This thing is not even a near miss for achieving that quality. You can buy pre-torn jeans and sneakers that look more naturally worn. What a hack job! Let's just call it what it is already.

Feeling pissy this evening.

Archived