Gibson Brands Forums

phospher bronze or 80/20's for my J45 Rosewood

88mmll

I just purchased a set of EJ19's which I haven't installed yet.

I play singer songwriter music with bass lines (primarily the low, 2 strings) and melody/rythmn on the high 4 strings.

WHich type of string would you recommend for a rosewood(overtones) J45 (2003)?

I have been using Martin 12-52's forever but I am getting some arthritis on my left index finger and am wondering about getting some 11-52 graduated sets or ?

The Website gives the basics:

Phosphor Bronze are known to be softer, with a more mellow tone and longer ring.

80/20 Bronze are known to be crisp, with a brighter tone. Many Bluegrass players choose 80/20.

I would experiment with both alloys, as often it varies between guitars which is more suitable. but on my rosewoood songwriter it has to be 80/20's as they allow more note seperation and sparkle which tends to fade quickly wiht PB's on rosewood.

Honestly, I'm still on the fence with mine.

I think she sounds great with both sets on. PB's more dark and sweet and the 80/20 are(were, lol) bright and clear. Get a set of each.

This most recent set is Martin 80/20's, but they only lasted a couple of days. I normally get d'adrios. but seen the Martins for 3 quid and thought why not.

My Advanced Jumbo is definitely made for 80/20s. The rosewood still maintains its tonal character but the 80/20s add a little snap and pop when you need it. Phosphor bronze made the guitar too mellow and dark for my tastes. This has also been the case with my rosewood Martins, but not as sensitive about it as my Gibson.

I've tried several different brands and gauges. I finally settled on Ernie Ball 2158s. They're coated, but the best coated I've used. Takes a day or so for them to settle in, so if you try them don't panic if they don't sound good initially. The 2158s are .11-.52. I use them on the J45, J50 and Sheryl Crow Signature Model.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the use of 80/20's and PB's can be entirely dependent upon your VOICE and which of the two most compliment your vocal range. Also if you have arthritis problems, you should also consider that PB's are slightly stiffer and require a touch more pressure while fretting and striking while 80/20's require slightly less finger work.This is because the Phosphor metal alloy added to the string is very hard, and slightly hardens the string to produce more overtones. In general however I find that on rosewoods, the 80/20 are cleaner and clearer and they allow the voice to shine through better because they have less over tones. I prefer Martin 80/20's but unless they are the coated version..which is much more expensive, they will dull out very quickly. Regular Martin 80/20 uncoated strings cost about $5.00....while the Martin coated 80/20 with cleartone coating costs a whopping $18.00 at present in Musiciansfriend.com ..I find it very hard to justify that kind of inflated price. I have not tried them yet as I am not happy about how Martin prices these. If the price comes in line with other coated strings, and they preform well, I will consider these. Good luck! Martin's 80/20 strings in my opinion sound far superior to the likes of Elixir, but the Martin price for them at this time is far too excessive IMHO!

I tried the martins last time, they died after a couple of hours. I've wacked on some d' addario's and the tone is real nice, IMO, better than the martins, it's been two days and they are still bright, which is a bonus :)

Yep, 80/20's also for my Songwriter. Have PB's on all my other guitars but they make the tone too muddy with rosewood, after a shortwhile.

The 80/20's keep the sparkle and note seperation for a good long while.

Archived