Gibson Brands Forums

Weird Gibson hybrid?

davenumber2

Wondering if anyone has an idea what this is? The one on the right.

It's a J-45/SJ with J-200 trim. People custom order random models with J-200 trim every once on awhile. Usually people in central TN.

-- Bob R

J-200 neck, guard and bridge on a SJ body. That means a long scale maybe even hog slope.

Could it be a second hand custom order hanging there – or une idée fixe from Bozeman.

And look at the headstock - no bindings.

It won't end up here, but is likely to hit the right buyer right in the stomach.

Interestingly, I just watched a video from 1955 of the late (she died today at age 92), great Kitty Wells playing a guitar identical to this one. Freaky coincidence.

I wouldn't be surprised if more guitars with this customization have been on the stage of the Opry than not. But didn't Kitty's have a bound headstock?

-- Bob R

That my friends is horrendous! There's only one guitar a moustache belongs on.

Yeah, a toy guitar. That bridge should never have passed through the first design meeting at Gibson. I'd have fired the guy who came up with the concept and put rectangular bridges on all. Hate the goofy looking thing from day 1.

Yeah, a toy guitar. That bridge should never have passed through the first design meeting at Gibson. I'd have fired the guy who came up with the concept and put rectangular bridges on all. Hate the goofy looking thing from day 1.

Clearly it's not a new concept, since Kitty Wells had the exact same guitar in 1955. Those Nashville cats (and Kitty's) liked their bling! They don't call the fancy J-45 the SJ for nuthin'.

But I notice you're from upstate NY, so maybe bling ain't your thing!

that what I think when I see a Martin

JC

Haha I love a stache on an sj that's it. Picture an sj with a square bridge or that ugly thing they had in the 70s haha

Ya mean it might be uglier than my Sparrow? [biggrin]

Nothing wrong with a sparrow never tried one but bet they're great! I'm yet to come across a Gibson with those appointments that's not very good. I had a firebird acoustic my friends hated the flames but I'll tell ya the tone was unbeaten that's the one that got away

Nothing wrong with a sparrow never tried one but bet they're great! I'm yet to come across a Gibson with those appointments that's not very good. I had a firebird acoustic my friends hated the flames but I'll tell ya the tone was unbeaten that's the one that got away

The Custom Firebird is on my wish-list. Had it not been for the pale top and all that flaming bling, I'd had one by now. And then the little decal on the back of the head - a bad idea on any guitar and there might be some F-birds without them. I've seen some lesser anemic models and might move if one comes along. The 4 I've tried all sounded fantastic - meaning one step beyond.

Wow, a J-200 appointments on a slope shouldered dreadnought.

Have to say never seen it before, and Im in the minority here, but I do like the look, quite cool.

Todays surprise -

The Custon Firebird is on my wish-list. Had it not been for the pale top and all that flaming bling, I'd had one by now. And then the little decal on the back of the head - a bad idea on any guitar and there might be some F-birds without them. I've seen some lesser anemic models and might move if one comes along. The 4 I've tried all sounded fantastic - meaning one step beyond.

Todays surprise -

Buc said SOuthpaws had a firebird that blew him away too ! I guess that's kinda of the next level acoustic for gibson .

JC

Buc said SOuthpaws had a firebird that blew him away too ! I guess that's kinda of the next level acoustic for gibson .

JC

I remember. What I need is to hear the guitar with faded strings as I have the feeling bass-power is drained from maple in that process. Only way so far to investigate this is to buy one with the right to return.

I'm not quite there - we'll see what happens.

Then again I talked to Jeremy Morton about a custom made version some weeks ago. How about that : A custom made Custom ! This would take some serious selling here and I'm not prepared for that yet. Love the herd too hard.

P.S. must be said that the 'todays surprise' in your #21 quotation-box isn't connected to the Firebird.

The Custom Firebird is on my wish-list. Had it not been for the pale top and all that flaming bling, I'd had one by now. And then the little decal on the back of the head - a bad idea on any guitar and there might be some F-birds without them. I've seen some lesser anemic models and might move if one comes along. The 4 I've tried all sounded fantastic - meaning one step beyond.

Todays surprise -

There's a firebird on eBay right now with a cherry burst but a lot of cash I bought mine for $2600 used I'll have another.

Thanks! There was a discussion not long ago about the visual merits of the new Sparrow. Mostly about the pickguard so I was poking fun. I have one, actually think its nice looking and it sounds great.

Kitty Wells with the said guitar :

kw.jpg

JC

I suspect she had it made like that to have some of the bling of a J200 but without the large size which would have look massive with her playing it. It does look all wrong though!

Archived