Gibson Brands Forums

My New Traditional Pro

A add9

2012-07-26_16-26-51_21.jpg

I've had 4 previous Gibson Les Pauls, including a 71 Cherry Suburst Custom Triple Pick Up, but I think this 2012 Traditional Pro is my favorite. Really like the split coil option Burstbuckers, and Grover Tuner's.

Thanks a lot guy's . Just before I purchased the Ebony Traditional Pro, I bought a 2012 Classic Plus Flame Top, in Manhattan Midnight Blue..

2012-04-26_19-54-58_565.jpg

...but decided, it was better suited as wall art. What really annoyed me was how easily the 1st string slid off the fretboard. Especially doing open string pull offs. I am really happy I made the switch. My Traditional Pro feels solid throughout, and is much more versatile with the split coil option. Added bonus......back to rosewood fingerboard.

Congratulations on your great buy! It looks really nice since the pickups perfectly match finish and pickguard. The coil split option is a fine feature in my opinion.

... What really annoyed me was how easily the 1st string slid off the fretboard. Especially doing open string pull offs. ...

There seems to be serious trouble with the make of the bindings I think. I returned a Translucent Amber Standard 2012 Premium Plus for the same reason. Striking down any chord with a 1st string fretted on the 3rd fret in mezzoforte or louder wiped the E1 from the fretboard, even with a nylon flatpick of only 0.73 mm. In general, the lower frets didn't permit to strike the 1st string down hard. There were some more Les Pauls of different models with bindings which didn't perform much better, but I finally found one.

Forgot to mention the tulip knobs on the Grover tuners. I think their look matches any Les Paul and L6S better than that of the kidneys as on my 2011 L6S and on the locking tuners of my Les Paul Standard 2012.

Luckily they are chrome-plated now. On my 1978 SG Satndard and my 1973 L6-S, there are nickel-plated Grover machine heads with tulip knobs although all the other parts are chrome-plated obviously.

I have the 2011 Gold Top with P90s. Sound is fantastic and plays great. It is a heavy date though, mine is just under 10 pounds. I am thinking that is part of the reason she sounds so sweet.

Congrats on yours, the Black if truly a good looking guitar.

=D> Beautiful guitar... I love the flame tops but there's something about a black LP that I really dig. One of these days I may take the plunge and get a "real" LP (I have an Epi and a Gibson LP Special) The trad. pro is the model I'd likely go for. Anyhow, well done!

Glad you finally found one that was set up right. When they are, they are unbeatable!

Congratulations on your great buy! It looks really nice since the pickups perfectly match finish and pickguard. The coil split option is a fine feature in my opinion.

There seems to be serious trouble with the make of the bindings I think. I returned a Translucent Amber Standard 2012 Premium Plus for the same reason. Striking down any chord with a 1st string fretted on the 3rd fret in mezzoforte or louder wiped the E1 from the fretboard, even with a nylon flatpick of only 0.73 mm. In general, the lower frets didn't permit to strike the 1st string down hard. There were some more Les Pauls of different models with bindings which didn't perform much better, but I finally found one.

Thanks, newpicker. And, may you land the guitar of dreams sometime soon.

Very nice. I really want one. It has everything I want. Was going to settle for a Studio Deluxe 60's(still might) but really love the Traditional Pro. Congrats!!

I got mine for like $1599.00 when it was all said and done. The sales guy, who I've come to know pretty well over the last year, gave me such a good deal that the store manager was livid, but honored it anyway. And, get this....... 18 months same as cash!. Not only that, but the floor model had some minor nicks in the paint, so they let me take that one home while they ordered me a brand new one from the factory. I actually was the first person to open the box, and pull that baby out the case.

Mf and GC have it on sale for $1800

Thanks, G.

My Traditional Pro has some serious weight behind it too.

I have the 2011 Gold Top with P90s. Sound is fantastic and plays great. It is a heavy date though, mine is just under 10 pounds. I am thinking that is part of the reason she sounds so sweet.

Congrats on yours, the Black if truly a good looking guitar.

I've always liked Cherry Red on Les Pauls as well. Very nice.

Nice guitar,I just got a cherry onelast week.If anybody is looking for the Marshall JCM1 50th Anniversary 1w amp.They have it in stock at MF.I'm receiving my tomorrow.post-44222-046284000 1344479773_thumb.gif

Archived