Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone stratocaster...please discuss!!!

Paulocon

Wow, imagine my disbelief finding out that my beloved epiphone actually once made a stratocaster guitar! If anyone out there has one please let me know what your thoughts are on it and how it compares to the fender brand etc. I'm thinking about trying to find myself one, as they look awesome. But are they any good??

They cover a wide price range, from extreme budget to nicely made. I had a s200 when I was a kid , it was a budget model but the neck was nice, on the down side the body was a sort of plywood style laminate and the electrics and pickups were a bit nasty. However the ones which were higher budget address most of those issues. A cheap one could be found on eBay and fixed up onto a nice guitar for not much.

The most common Epiphone strat-style guitar you will find is the S-310 and S-300 - in that order. They are about on par with the Squier guitars as far as general quality. Some of these guitars were laminates and some where mystery mahogany. Hard to say why or exactly when the differences occured. As for the sound of this particular model, they had low budget ceramic pickups similar to what you find in a typical Squier. Nothing special and quite frankly, I'd probably opt for the Squier in this instance. They are more common and their modular design and replacement parts are still in production today. It is much harder to find replacement parts for an Epiphone S-Series guitar than a Squier.

The rest of the S-Series (S-400 through 900) were actually super strats guitars. These featured better (but not great) pickups and hardware. Again, the modularity of these guitars comes in to play when looking for replacement parts. Pickguards, bridges and locknuts are all non-standard sized and common replacement parts dont fit properly...at least without some modifications. As well, you run the gammut with body materials from laminates to mystery wood to poplar depending on the year and model. One thing I can say though, is that the necks on these guitars were superb and the playablilty is top-notch. The rest of the guitar leaves a little to be desired, but worth while if you are a modder that really likes Epiphones.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ran across an Epiphone Tele in the used section at GC, and as a Tele player of the past 40 years, I would say it was pretty nice.

Not at all a bad guitar. But, not really a Tele. They come from the other guys. Don't know much about the Strats, but the Tele was

OK.

• 8 years later...

Don’t know if anyone still reads these since I’m replying eight years later, but my first electric was an epiphone strat. I recently replaced the pots, switch, and Jack and put some Texas specials in it. However, I noticed it has a hand carved serial number on the neck that won’t pull up in any serial number database searches. I was just interested to see what year and factory it’s from. Serial no. 248-35-5137

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I’m currently customizing a S-310 to a single humbucker and locking tuners guitar. My S-310 is a 1995 model and appears to have a solid wood body, although very light. Neck pocket show no sign of laminate. 
The neck is the reason why I bought the guitar in the first place. The neck is super nice. I’m also a fan of the Explorer head. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 1:23 PM, BJH said:

I’m currently customizing a S-310 to a single humbucker and locking tuners guitar. My S-310 is a 1995 model and appears to have a solid wood body, although very light. Neck pocket show no sign of laminate. 
The neck is the reason why I bought the guitar in the first place. The neck is super nice. I’m also a fan of the Explorer head. 

…oh, and I paid like $70 for it. Used but in very good shape. Totally worth it. 

• Like 1