Gibson Brands Forums

Will this guitar do good with worship music and jazz?

Andrew Riggs

I know its not a Gretsch or fender but its on sale at guitar center and I was wondering what kind of music this would do well on? I also want a neck to have larger than average frets and it to be really quick and slick, unlike an acoustic guitar. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JAY-TURSER-JT690QSTTBL-6STR-ELEC-STRING-THRU-TRANS-BLUE-Q411-107410599-i2317265.gc

Seems more like a metal guitar, but you could easily make it work for worship and jazz.

It most likely won't get the warmth and wooliness of a hollowbody, but if you change the pickups it might.

I pretty much agree with Kaleb...

OTOH, I've done jazz on my old SG-like Guild S100c and it sounds quite nice. Just not quite as "woody" as a hollow or semi.

Tursers, from the ones I've seen, seem to vary widely in quality. I got the feeling when a local guy had them in a store he was trying to start that the nuts felt a shade narrower than I care for and narrower than those on similar-shaped Gib/Epi machines.

For roughly the same cash, though, I think especially on the jazz side, you may be better served getting an Epi Dot, or for even less cash, an Epi Dot Studio that I'm told is a bit more on the bark side than the regular Dot. I've never played one of the latter.

The Epi Dot ain't a genuine Gibbie 335, but it has basically the same advantages of covering a wide range of musical styles quite well. I'm told that with Gibbie electronics it's awfully awfully close; and the later models I've seen and messed with are perfectly capable of a pro performance with a decent setup and amp/pa rig.

Honestly, I think the Epi Dot is one of best "bang for your buck" guitars in today's marketplace. Other style guitars can be nice enough, but for a combination of musical styles, there ain't much it can't do quite well.

Here's another thought: A new Dot at $399 (you'll need a case, hopefully a hard case) has a full new warranty. For any warranty on this Turser you'll have to buy their $49 package which puts it higher priced than the new Dot... and you'll still need a case for it too.

m

Though I've never seen or played a Turser, I have good friends who say they are very good. I've heard their 335 copy, from a build perspective, is as good as a Gibson for a tenth the price.

What is worship music anyway? I mean I've heard all kinda sounds out of that genre.

Jazz... jazz is in the fingers and the head. If you're looking for a traditional jazz box sound, I think you'd better look somewhere else.

Ziggie...

I played about a dozen Tursers circa 2006-7 in the store and wasn't impressed other than by "pretty." He was a pretty decent tech which helped.

But that's as subjective as objective, and some years ago. I'd never buy one myself.

As for any guitar being "okay" for about any style of music, I think it's our own heads that collectively get in our way on that one. Roy Buchanan did an incredible "Misty" that's been available on Youtube and there are few jazzers who could match, IMHO, the true jazz feel that came out of his Tele. And I ain't a Fender guy.

I do know for certain that with a decent amp and settings, few people could tell the diff between my 175 and the Dot if they weren't looking if that's how I wanted the Dot to sound. The few who could tell ... it's kinda "so what." The 175 feels a lot better, sounds enough better to me, that it's my main squeeze, though. But if I hadda do a jazz gig and a Dot were all that's available with the kinda strings and setup I like? I'd be perfectly comfortable with it and its sound.

OTOH, I'm with the guys who aren't certain at all what exactly you mean in terms of style when you say "worship." I have a hunch you don't mean a Bach Mass.

m

I've heard their 335 copy, from a build perspective, is as good as a Gibson for a tenth the price.

They're more on par with Epiphone. A lot of people also say Epiphone is just as good as Gibson, I don't think so

I agree with Milod's suggestion. The Dot would be better suited for these styles. I'd also suggest the Ibanez Artcore which is better than the dot.

Dub...

I've played some Artcore semis. Not as good IMHO as the Epi Dot, but I think one's hands likely will make the choice, assuming one doesn't have a "brand thing." I think the Ibanez version of the Dot I've seen looked to be a bit better finished than some Dots, but again some of that is as subjective as what one's hands feel comfortable with.

I had the choice; I took the Dot for a few more dollars a year or two ago.

OTOH, I've a hunch that some of the Artcore full hollows may be among the better choices for a full hollow at price point. I'd wanna feel the necks, though. "Feel" overall is a big deal to me.

I love my 175; I've never played the Epi ES175 copy. The Epi Joe Pass sounds a bit... thin... to me. It's quite possible the Ibanez full hollow could be a good choice for some musicians. There's even one that's in the same general price point as the Dot and some Ibanez semis.

One way or another, it sounds as if a semi or full hollow might be a good choice.

But with one caveat: I'm most comfortable with the size and general shape of the 175, and I'm convinced it's 'cuz I started off playing classical guitars that are about the same size. The semi is comfortable, but not as comfortable for me - the geometry is different. A picker starting with a solidbody may find any semi or hollow "big" and the geometry quite different, especially playing at root chord positions.

Any half decent quality electric should work for anybody playing almost anything - although a Fender neck ain't my thing at all - but not everybody will feel comfortable with every shape instrument body or neck.

Worse, we (or do I mean "I"???) can be pretty stupid in buying fine guitars we're not that comfortable with because "everybody" uses them in the style of music we're playing in public, especially in public for money. I dumped too many guitars I preferred at the time for those with the "look and tone" that others felt were the expected type of guitar.

In retrospect I think that was pretty stupid since, as I said above, I think my Guild "SG" clone from the '70s sounds perfectly fine for about any playing I'm likely to do except bluegrass types of stuff.

OTOH, my favorite is the 175, second has been the Guild for years. I've a batch of AEs for "cowboy," bluegrass or "old time," or a kinda Leo Kottke sorta gig.

But especially if I get asked to an electric gig, I'll almost inevitably take the Dot as the best overall compromise that isn't the end of the world if it gets stepped on. And I really do like the neck.

m

No bird...

I guess one reason is that I don't own an acoustic - they're all AE, although the cheapie 12 has a mag I built into it.

Probably if Epi had a version of the Bird AE, I'd strongly consider it. I have great memories of a young lady acquaintance who played a Gibbie bird in college my freshman year (49 years ago) and I was quite impressed by the guitar sound and her picking and singing.

Ah, for the folkie days of yore. <grin> Hmmmm. I wonder if she's now a nice 70+ year old lady still playin' the bird? Or if she survived those days at all.

Right now I'm kinda toying with the idea of a Gibbie AE along lines of a hummingbird artist, though.

m

Milod,

Thanks for the reply. I have two birds one with PU one without. Though fairly easy playing guitars, that wide body will get to you after awhile.

For long acoustic jamming sessions I prefer my Yamaha Compass AE.

You are right about a good Bird's sweet tone, very seduvtive.

Dub...

I've played some Artcore semis. Not as good IMHO as the Epi Dot, but I think one's hands likely will make the choice, assuming one doesn't have a "brand thing." I think the Ibanez version of the Dot I've seen looked to be a bit better finished than some Dots, but again some of that is as subjective as what one's hands feel comfortable with.

I had the choice; I took the Dot for a few more dollars a year or two ago.

OTOH, I've a hunch that some of the Artcore full hollows may be among the better choices for a full hollow at price point. I'd wanna feel the necks, though. "Feel" overall is a big deal to me.

I love my 175; I've never played the Epi ES175 copy. The Epi Joe Pass sounds a bit... thin... to me. It's quite possible the Ibanez full hollow could be a good choice for some musicians. There's even one that's in the same general price point as the Dot and some Ibanez semis.

One way or another, it sounds as if a semi or full hollow might be a good choice.

But with one caveat: I'm most comfortable with the size and general shape of the 175, and I'm convinced it's 'cuz I started off playing classical guitars that are about the same size. The semi is comfortable, but not as comfortable for me - the geometry is different. A picker starting with a solidbody may find any semi or hollow "big" and the geometry quite different, especially playing at root chord positions.

Any half decent quality electric should work for anybody playing almost anything - although a Fender neck ain't my thing at all - but not everybody will feel comfortable with every shape instrument body or neck.

Worse, we (or do I mean "I"???) can be pretty stupid in buying fine guitars we're not that comfortable with because "everybody" uses them in the style of music we're playing in public, especially in public for money. I dumped too many guitars I preferred at the time for those with the "look and tone" that others felt were the expected type of guitar.

In retrospect I think that was pretty stupid since, as I said above, I think my Guild "SG" clone from the '70s sounds perfectly fine for about any playing I'm likely to do except bluegrass types of stuff.

OTOH, my favorite is the 175, second has been the Guild for years. I've a batch of AEs for "cowboy," bluegrass or "old time," or a kinda Leo Kottke sorta gig.

But especially if I get asked to an electric gig, I'll almost inevitably take the Dot as the best overall compromise that isn't the end of the world if it gets stepped on. And I really do like the neck.

m

My friend had a Dot and the Artcore and I thought the Ibanez was built a lot better. The neck on the Dot was weird and kinda like a rectangle with rounded corners and the hardware was really cheap. Other than that it's was pretty good. Definitely better than the Tursers. It was really just more a personal preference for the feel, but I think the Ibanez is a little better quality overall

Yeah I totally know what you mean about buying stuff that other people are using. If I had enough money I'd probably have more of a problem with that :P My main problem with that is with stompboxes, but I'm getting a lot better about it and trying to just use what works for me and focus on my playing

Your Guild and 175 copy are sweet. I like those kinda

Guest farnsbarns

I hope no one is offended by this...

What is worship music? I mean, clearly it has to do with worship but the way I hear the term used makes me think of a genre?

I hope no one is offended by this...

What is worship music? I mean, clearly it has to do with worship but the way I hear the term used makes me think of a genre?

From Wiki:

Contemporary worship music (CWM) is a loosely defined genre of Christian music used in contemporary worship. It has developed over the past sixty years and is stylistically similar to pop music. The songs are frequently referred to as "praise songs" or "worship songs" and are typically led by a "worship band" or "praise team", with either a guitarist or pianist leading. It is becoming a common genre of music sung in Western churches, predominantly in particularly in Pentecostal churches, both denominational and nondenominational. Also many non Charismatic Protestant Churches use this type of music. Some do so exclusively. Others have services that are just traditional along with services that are just contemporary. Others simply mix this type of music in with traditional.

Archived