Gibson Brands Forums

Cream

CoreyT

So I was sitting there watching the documentary "It Might Get Loud" for about the third time, love that, it is cool seeing the three guy's together.

Anyways, I whip out my SG and plug into my Orange Micro Terror and have it turned way down and was just messing around and Cream's song popped into my head, and I had it pretty much figured out for not hearing that song in years.

Looked it up on YouTube, and found a very old video of them recorded back in 1968.

For me guessing the song in my head from memory, I did pretty good, even though I was in a different key, and I had to readjust after watching the video below.

Although the opening riff it looks like Clapton is doing a sliding barre chord for the first two notes, then does the riff, but it sounds OK my way too.

I even had the main chorus chords figured out pretty good.

I use to record copy a lot back in the early 70s, and now that I have gotten back into playing again this past spring, it seems a little harder, but I am getting better at it after taking a 30 year break from playing.

Hopefully I have the chorus chords down right, sounds like A, C, then G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqh54rSzheg

There are also several videos showing how to play with some a little different.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+play+sunshine+of+your+love+on+guitar&oq=how+to+play+sunshine&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.0.0l4.6307.11296.0.14564.20.16.0.4.4.0.45.517.16.16.0...0.0...1ac.kBETuYic2iY

Some may laugh at me for using YouTube videos to learn the song a little better, but it helps viewing.

Hopefully this winter I will start up a few lessons to learn how to improv better, and to play what I hear in my head.

I've seen/heard Eric play that song many different ways too.

Definitely more than one way to skin that cat! [thumbup] For example, I like two notes instead of full chords for the main riff, especially if you have a bass player. This guy presents a perfectly fine way of playing that song though. His tone is too distorted for this tune, imho, but that's common in young folks. :rolleyes:

Definitely more than one way to skin that cat! [thumbup] For example, I like two notes instead of full chords for the main riff, especially if you have a bass player. This guy presents a perfectly fine way of playing that song though. His tone is too distorted for this tune, imho, but that's common in young folks. :rolleyes:

Hey how bout us 40 something that love playing with old fuzz pedals [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

I always liked Clapton's SG sounds. Two friends I knew back then, played an SG, and an EB0 through Acoustics. They complemented each other well. The SG was through an Acoustic 260, and the EB0 went through an Acoustic 361.

I like to play the four chord down at the 3rd fret, like Clapton's doing, so that the four chord sounds lower than the one chord. [thumbup]

The bridge is like you said, starting on A, then C, G and back to A and repeat.

Hah. I just noticed that Clapton played a wrong note at 3:18. He looks at the fretboard like "WTF" and real quick slides up to the next fret.

Guest Rabs Vista

Nice post Corey. I'm a member of another guitar forum where we have threads like this. Someone posts a song, normally a vid of them playing it and a tutorial, either written or a vid, not necessarily there own tut vid. Then everyone has a go and posts their vids. It's cool and I usually learn a lot from it. Maybe we could start something with this kind of ethos on here.

From all the distant shot's of Eric in this video it looks like he's playing an Epiphone but it's just the paint scene on the headstock that gives the illusion of the shape of the headstock. I'm sure a few of the bands I played in back in the 1980's did this song, it's a good one if you got two capable singer's in the group.

Nice post Corey. I'm a member of another guitar forum where we have threads like this. Someone posts a song, normally a vid of them playing it and a tutorial, either written or a vid, not necessarily there own tut vid. Then everyone has a go and posts their vids. It's cool and I usually learn a lot from it. Maybe we could start something with this kind of ethos on here.

Thanks.

Hey, sounds like a cool idea you have.

I may even try to use my GoPro 2 camera and get a video of me playing the few parts to that song.

I have been meaning to make a video showing my various pedals too, but I am not a great player :D

I am in this as a hobby, but some day it might be fun to try and jam with a few from my area sometime.

Archived