Gibson Brands Forums

thoughts on dylans new album?

blindboygrunt

When you hit that point where you arent riding the zeitgeist anymore, its time to fall back on chops: songcraft, instrumental prowess, nuanced singing, professionalism. Where is his fallback position?

Just recently checked Bootleg 64 and dele'd it from my from my iTunes. Maybe was a Zen thing, putting the arrow in the target at the moment, but it doesnt wear well, musically, at least to this ear. I still have a soft spot for Tour '66, The Basement Tapes and Blood on the Tracks, but I havent pulled them out in a while. Maybe I'll leave them alone.

I don't see anyone kicking him at all. On the contrary, I see a lot of his fans saying "Hey, we love him but this is not his best work."

- Which, frankly, is true. Can you, hand on your heart, say that this a significantly great album that can stand comparison with his best work? ....

Since you asked - More like: "We loved him in his 20s, forget everything else - except maybe a couple later works."

As for this being "a significantly great album that can stand comparison with his best work." - I'm addressing the comments on this album, at this time, from this forum.

And I certainly don't think he "sounds like the mental derelict's that serenade me off-Strip ..." Or that he's a "... nodding off old man that wakes up in front of studio microphone mumbling out such dribble..." . Now that's a couple good kicks in anybody's book.

I celebrate the fact that at 71 Dylan is still putting stuff out there. It's spotty to be sure, but from my view even some of those albums from his 20s were spotty. Too bad the subject matter is dark, as it seems some of the commentors would much prefer lyrics about jingle jangle mornings and magic swirlin' ships. IMO Tempest is a good album and there's definitely some worthwhile stuff there.

Allmusic 3.5/5

Chicago Tribune 3.5/4

Robert Christgau B+

Entertainment Weekly A

The Guardian 4/5

New Musical Express 7/10

Pitchfork Media 6.8/10

Rolling Stone 5/5

Slant Magazine 4/5

Spin 8/10

Hey BigK – Seriously don't hope I appeared too negative in my first comment - (don't you bother to answer).

I know how you feel if you're having a party with a record and others pee it down.

Repeat : Glad the old master is still around and kicking, no doubt – I've had Dylan rolling like an alphabet in my blood all my life. Still play his tunes with glee and even jam with him in my sleep. Not so long ago we played the whole You Angel You together, every note and line totally naturalistic, , , until my guitar slowly began turning into a tea-egg. Bob just nodded as if I should go on – he calmly accepted the rather strange change.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .teaegg-.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."Rock is more than music – Dylan is more than rock"

.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .E-minor7

My experience with Dylan is that it takes more than one spin. At some point, I suddenly feel his music knocking on the door of my soul. When I first heard Time Out of Mind and Modern Times, I didn't give them much playing time, but I'd play them now and then on my IPod for the 30 minute commute to work, and now they are some of my favorites. I suspect Tempest may start out slowly on me too, but I also suspect that it will build a high replay spot, with a stand-out gem or two.

My experience with Dylan is that it takes more than one spin. At some point, I suddenly feel his music knocking on the door of my soul. When I first heard Time Out of Mind and Modern Times, I didn't give them much playing time, but I'd play them now and then on my IPod for the 30 minute commute to work, and now they are some of my favorites. I suspect Tempest may start out slowly on me too, but I also suspect that it will build a high replay spot, with a stand-out gem or two.

Well said Dan,

my thoughts run along the same path. Only had one listen to full album.. slightly underwhelmed but as you say alot of his more recent stuff really grows on you after a few listens. I don't read many reviews but the general concensus seems to be.. a good album but by no means great. I think you get that from the first listen.

Dylan is no saint – He never was and wouldn't wanna be one. Not now, neither back then.

I think he comes up with a couple of good responses to the attacks or accusations. Except this one :

"It's called songwriting," he told Rolling Stone. "It has to do with melody and rhythm, and then after that anything goes. You make everything yours." -

It takes more than that and behind the jacket he knows it – anyway he ought to. It took a continent to create what he created.

He always stole here and there, but the unique talent he added shouldn't be overlooked, can't be overrated.

Bob himself of course is aware of this. . .

Good link BBG.

I see Mr. Dylan gets a little feisty and defensive at times too. . B)

He's never been one to keep his mouth shut at the right time. Which is part of what makes him great. You never know what's going to come out, either in the form of music or the form of commentary.

The press: Bob, to sum up - don't you have any important philosophy for the world?

Dylan: Are you kidding? The world don't need me. Christ, I'm only five feet ten. The world could get along fine without me. Don'cha know, everybody dies. It don't matter how important you think you are. Look at Shakespeare, Napoleon, Edgar Allan Poe, for that matter. They are all dead, right?

Surprised Bob rose to the Rolling Stone slight digs..maybe showing his age

Question:

On first listen I though ..hmmmm? the vocal is REALLY forward in the mix..maybe something to do with his projection ...I know he produces the albums himself nowadays.. but?????

Seconded listen...getting interesting...but still

It doesn't sound right to me...

I downloaded the album...does anyone else find the vocal to sit almost unnaturally on top of the mix..or maybe is it the download i have?

Well. I've had a couple of days to run through the CD .... good thing is that the download was $5.00 .... long time since works were that affordable. As for the artistic value, well I personally think that Dylan has been pulling our collective legs since Big Pink days. Laughing all the way to the bank.

His story songs are great poetry in the British folk song tradition .... but basically thematically just folk music. I did find the Titanic song overly long and saw nothing new or interesting there. Rest is just words a phrases strung together that the listener can make out anyway they please. I doubt that Dylan has a clue what he means by what he is saying.

Although I agree with Def about the disconnect between the vocals and the underlying music, I found it one of the good things about this CD. Interesting because of two factors: first, since the days of the Band, he has toured and recorded with the best musicians around and second, his music (aside from the vocals) is really just very interesting americana (folk, blues, early R&R).... nothing more and thus familiar and somehow comforting.

As for his voice ... sucked then and sucks now. But it gave folks like me the courage since a teenager to sing ..... who cares if you sound like Elvis? But who can phrase like Dylan .... nobody better since John Prine or Sanatra.

Worth my $5 and a week in the truck CD player.

Man oh man, that was a lifetime ago!

Excellent release from '64, I think. It's tunes like Chimes one somehow have to leave behind when evaluating the newer things.

These songs could overturn a world, , , they did, , , and there was many of them. . .

Byrds' version is like underwater swimming and flying at the same time, , ooooooouuuuh h h

Gaze on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opqjh2jjIM0&feature=related

Archived