Gibson Brands Forums

I need advice on using a USB interface

jaxson50

A lot of recording softwares require memory, if you don't have enough you will get clicking and hesitation from the software. That's the one thing to know, memory requirements.

It depends on what you want to do, when you say iPad then that is not a USB interface.

I should record on Garageband but I got used to Riffworks T4 and although I know o=how to use Garageband and it is for sure better I have been slacking.

Maybe, if you have an early verison of a G4 with a maximum SDRAM memory of 1GB then you most likely will run into issues if you do not choose the recording program carefully.

If you buy a USB interface you can use Audacity which is free.

Most USB interfaces come with a strip down version of recording software like Ableton or Cubase. Those will run borderline OK on a computer with a 1GB SDRAM.

I've got a Quicksilver G4 that's plenty beefy for it's time (2004), it's old and can't run any new programs but the version of Digital Performer I have on it works great! I also have an old G4 (graphite) from 1999 that can do audio pretty well but it's limited.

The 1999 G4 one can do about 8 or 12 tracks (total) before it get's bogged down and the hardrive is small to but it's a 10K RPM so it's good for doing.... Like I said "limited audio" I modded the processor and RAM to the max it will run and 9.10 is the highest OS I could up-grade it.

The Quicksilver is running OS X-Lion, you could run Panther on it and maybe even the next OS up but that's not advisable as the hardware can only go so far. I'm sure I could get 24 tracks with DP5 and it can be up-graded a bit more (if I can find the part's). It's nothing like this 2006 Mac Pro I use now but a good machine none the less. My A-D/D-A interfaces are connected with Firewire cables but use a MOTU only format.

I know someone who has gone to USB after many problems with Firewire interfaces. He now uses a Roland Octoplus with a laptop and an extra terabyte H/D. And that, along with a USB keyboard and his guitars, is an entire recording studio.

I was completely amazed by this setup when he showed it to me; the sound quality is far superior to my old analog mixing desk, digital recording has far more high-end than tape, and these days 'virtual' instruments, amp models etc are not just acceptable but sound really good. The Roland Octoplus is worth checking out!

On my PCs I use an inexpensive USB interface and Audacity. Works fine once one figures how to get it to save as MP3, which means adding from another web site than where one downloads Audacity - at least such was the case for me. Still, I found the "free" software easier to record voice and guitar the way I set it up than two commercial programs I had access to. Never tried garageband or such stuff, though, since for me it's mostly a matter of recording my own practice sessions for solo performances - and not adding other "instruments."

The Macs, IMHO, do need more memory under variants of OSX (otherwise known as variations of Unix) than an otherwise similarly equipped PC. The G4 wasn't a bad machine at all. Just hyped a bit more than it could deliver, IMHO, and always seemed to need more memory than one had installed. Yes, I used one on a daily basis for some years. I never found a reason to replace home PCs.

OTOH, there were variations of the CPU on machines labeled G4. As I recall they were all Motorola RISC chips of varying speeds, apparently some nearly three times faster than the slowest. I'm not sure what you might have as installed RAM or HD. I'm not sure that OS9x could handle even a 128-gb hard drive; not sure what OSx versions it'd take, either.

But on any sort of computer regardless of OS, IMHO, one never can have too much RAM as long as the OS can recognize it. I remember how people thought I was nuts to have the full 640K on my original PC "clone" back around '82 - yet then were mesmerized at how well it ran such as WordStar or later, Dbase 2, compared to their 128K machines. Of course, one must chortle to remember how slow all of them ran if they lacked a HD - and then how we figured a 10M HD was an almost limitless storage device...

Which brings up why I tend to like second generation matured software if it'll run on the newer machines without messing with the OS - Usually they've been leaner and a lot faster. I'll keep my PhotoShop 6, for example, on either Mac or PC, in preference to the later versions for what I do.

m

On my PCs I use an inexpensive USB interface and Audacity. Works fine once one figures how to get it to save as MP3, which means adding from another web site than where one downloads Audacity - at least such was the case for me. Still, I found the "free" software easier to record voice and guitar the way I set it up than two commercial programs I had access to. Never tried garageband or such stuff, though, since for me it's mostly a matter of recording my own practice sessions for solo performances - and not adding other "instruments."

The Macs, IMHO, do need more memory under variants of OSX (otherwise known as variations of Unix) than an otherwise similarly equipped PC. The G4 wasn't a bad machine at all. Just hyped a bit more than it could deliver, IMHO, and always seemed to need more memory than one had installed. Yes, I used one on a daily basis for some years. I never found a reason to replace home PCs.

OTOH, there were variations of the CPU on machines labeled G4. As I recall they were all Motorola RISC chips of varying speeds, apparently some nearly three times faster than the slowest. I'm not sure what you might have as installed RAM or HD. I'm not sure that OS9x could handle even a 128-gb hard drive; not sure what OSx versions it'd take, either.

But on any sort of computer regardless of OS, IMHO, one never can have too much RAM as long as the OS can recognize it. I remember how people thought I was nuts to have the full 640K on my original PC "clone" back around '82 - yet then were mesmerized at how well it ran such as WordStar or later, Dbase 2, compared to their 128K machines. Of course, one must chortle to remember how slow all of them ran if they lacked a HD - and then how we figured a 10M HD was an almost limitless storage device...

Which brings up why I tend to like second generation matured software if it'll run on the newer machines without messing with the OS - Usually they've been leaner and a lot faster. I'll keep my PhotoShop 6, for example, on either Mac or PC, in preference to the later versions for what I do.

m

Thanks for the tip Milod..

I used to use an M-Audio Black Box as a USB interface along with it's excellent amp sims. Kristal, which is a free recorder mixer thing, was also easy and cool to use. I then recently purchased a Tascam DR 008 which is an 8 track digital recorder. It supports direct recording and mics and phantom powered comdenser mics. It is so much easier to use and the results are excellent ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

i have a Guitar Session USB interface that came in a package with Guitar Rig 3. It's ok...but it's main drawback imo is that it only has one input for an external mic. I wish it had at least 2, so I could use my SM57 and Audio-Technica condenser for a full sound. But it is pretty easy to use. I just plug it in to my MacBook, open Garageband and create a new instrument track. Sometime in the future I plan to buy a better, more versatile interface, but what I have works.

Archived