Gibson Brands Forums

What's In YOUR CD Player?

John Lee Walker

Just checking, and always curious - what's everybody been listening to/learning these days? I like threads like this, as it just may turn some of us on to some great new music that we didn't know was out there.

These are the top five CDs I have been listening to recently...

Hayes Carll - Trouble In Mind

Ryan Bingham - Mescalito

James McMurtry - Just Us Kids

Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade

Hank Williams - The Unreleased Recordings

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cardinology (brilliant, but a real grower. Be prepared to hate it at first, but Radams is the real deal and the writing and playing on this is unbelievable)

Devon Sproule - Upstate Songs (not quite as stellar as her latest, but a great record nonetheless)

Guy Clark - Old No.1 (this rarely stays away from my turntable for more than a couple of weeks...the greatest debut ever?)

Calexico & Iron And Wine - He Lays In The Reins (the best ep/mini album I have ever heard. A proper heartbreaker)

Crosby, Stills & Nash - CSN (the best record they ever made, with or without Young. All three are firing on 12 cylinders apiece on it, and I can't believe that to this day it is still such an underrated album)

Nothin in the CD player in the house. But in the 6 CD changer in the Maserati:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Charlie Musselwhite - Delta Hardware

International Submarine Band - Safe at Home

Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic Vol. 1

Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers

Little Walter - Confessin' the Blues

Did I say Maserati? I mean 2001 Toyota Solar with 191,000 miles on it.

Jamey Johnson - " That Lonesome Song" "Somewhere between Jenning's, & Jones" Great up, & coming song writer

Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson - "Rattlin Bones" (Best she's ever done, her husband Shane Nicholson, brings a lot to this cd.

Bob Dylan - "Tell Tale Signs"

Kathleen Edwards - "Asking for Flowers"

Actually, I don't have a CD player anymore. No cassette player either. Both broke and it'd probably cost more to fix 'em than buy new ones -- same old story. For now, for a while maybe, I'm going without and just listening to stuff on the computer and burning the occasional CD to an ipod. All that said, here's what I'm listening to of late, over and over:

Mississippi John Hurt, The Best of MJH.

MJH Today.

The Immortal MJH.

MJH -- Last Sessions.

(Going through a bit of a M. John Hurt period, I admit)

John Fahey, The Legend of Blind Joe Death

Oumou Sangaré, Ko Sira

Southern Culture on the Skids, "Dirt Track Date." Just odd

Los Super Seven, " Heard on the X." Mexical

Mike Eldred Trio. Blues like he means it

Radio Kings, "Thirty Days." Border radio

Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks." Still his best?

James Hunter, "People Gonna Talk." Sam Cooke redux

geelinus, I got the heebee jeebees when you mentioned Matt Maher-a good friend of mine (and a supernaturally talented songwriter) has the same name, although changed the spelling to Matt Marr to make it easier to google for folks who have heard him announced on the radio etc. He has opened for Jesse Malin and other great people, and seems to be universally loved by the music industry, but has yet to tie up a major label deal. If you search for "Matt Marr and The Robbers" on Myspace, he's well worth a good listen. 'Men As Trees', 'Rocket Flowers' and 'Bombs Of Thunder' are fabulous tunes that deserve to be heard by the wider world.

Oh yeah, Ry Cooder. I actually have the 'Crossroads' soundtrack at the top of the heap at all times. Purple Valley is awesome, all of his stuff. But, the 'Crossroads' soundtrack instrumental slide numbers are just fantastic. When I play slide guitar, I always try to emulate that heavy reverb and tone he gets on those numbers in open D. Great stuff!

Any recommendations for a good entry LP into Ry Cooder?
Bop is decent but for off the charts funky Ry, try Into the Purple Valley (espec killer side 2 sequence --remember sides?- On a Monday, Hey Porter Great Dream of Heaven, Farmer is the Man, Vigilante). Or, Paradise and Lunch. Ry at his most elegant.

ksd & jayla. I can ride with you guys. "Mix tape of Robt Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, Skip James

jayla:The Best of MJH.MJH Today. MJH -- Last Sessions."

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cardinology (brilliant, but a real grower. Be prepared to hate it at first, but Radams is the real deal and the writing and playing on this is unbelievable)

I am a big RA fan, but hae been dragging my feet picking this one up. I guess I should give it a try?

I have been obsessed recently with his ::unreleased:: Suicide Handbook record. Outstanding (and very much acoustic guitar based; ryan is at his best when unplugged, IMHO).

ksd & jayla. I can ride with you guys. "Mix tape of Robt Johnson' date=' Lightnin' Hopkins, Skip James

jayla:The Best of MJH.MJH Today. MJH -- Last Sessions."[/quote']

Ah, Skip James! Been watching the following practically non-stop the last week or two. Really fine stuff!

Skip James performing "Crow Jane" -- magnificient! :

and doing "Devil Got My Woman":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2POWSnStU&feature=related

And let's end with Son House performing "Death Letter" from 1967 -- f****** fantastic! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g&feature=related

BTW intersting to watch SH's technique on the last number.

Archived