Gibson Brands Forums

What's In YOUR CD Player?

John Lee Walker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all over the place:

I always have a steady mix of stuff going on, but these have been at the top of the playlist recently

Steve Earle -- Washington Square Serenade

Fleet Foxes

Sujan Stevens -- Illinoise

John Fogerty -- Revival

Iron and Wine -- The Shepard's Dog

Spoon -- Gimme Fiction

As for Ry -- all his stuff is tasty; my all-time faves are BTYD and Jazz

This week my CD case contains;

AC/DC - Black Ice

Sam Bush - Glamor & grits

Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider

Jim Croce - Photographs & Memories

Sierra Hull - Secrets

Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues

B.B. King - One kind Favor

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Rush - Roll the Bones

Thin Lizzy - Dedication

ZZ Top - Afterburner

25 Beethoven Favorites

"Highway Companion" is flawless' date=' not one drop of filler!! [/quote']

MAN! What you talking about?

Some of his best work.

I'm biased, as I'm an unabashed Tom Petty fan, but when people talk about singer/songwriters they mention some people who I think suck, yet never mention this guy!

Dylan is the litmus test and I prefer Petty over Dylan!

But seriously, he's not the best singer, not the best guitar player, maybe not the best songwriter, but there's not many that can be argued to be better.......BUT, who can do all three as well as he does? Dylan can't sing or play guitar as well. Maybe you could throw Pete Townsend in there.....

Petty is just something else.

And how UNDERRATED is Mike Campbell? Rhythm, lead, soaring solo, bluesy shuffle, delta blues slide or Duane Allman slide this sucker can do it all!

Like Zeppelin, The Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Who, Hendrix, etc...... Petty, and of course the Heartbreakers, is someone I just never get tired of. I still stop and listen to "Last Dance with Mary Jane" despite having heard it 6,837, 242 times! It's like Stairway, yeah it's overplayed, but the thing's awesome!

And since we are on a GIBSON forum.......... it should be noted that the Dove in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame is what he wrote (according to him) as estimated 80% of Heart Breaker stuff on until his house caught fire in the 90's. He almost lost the Dove, so he retired it. He now spends most of his time on a Hummingbird and occasionally a SJ200.

Hey elk - yep, the Dedringers are good americana, got a big following in Austin. James McMurty is a lyrical genuis and a fine guitarist, I really like most of his music. When he's not on tour with the Heartless Bastards band he does every Wed night at the Continental Club in Austin. You get the chance, go check out James. He does a very nice acoustic solo set.

Archived