Gibson Brands Forums

Why are faded Les Pauls cheaper?

heymisterk

Hi All, and happy Thankgiving,

I'm in the market for my first Les Paul Standard, being that I like my SG Classic so much. In shopping online, I've noticed that that so-called "faded" models - at least online - look just as good, and seem to have the same hardware. So, my question is, why are they cheaper than the "non-faded" Standards?

Many Thanks!

Hi All' date=' and happy Thankgiving,

I'm in the market for my first Les Paul Standard, being that I like my SG Classic so much. In shopping online, I've noticed that that so-called "faded" models - at least online - look just as good, and seem to have the same hardware. So, my question is, why are they cheaper than the "non-faded" Standards?

Many Thanks![/quote']

The fadeds have less coats of nitro, I think standards have about double the coats.

Less work to apply the coats and wait in between and also less curing time so you can move them out of the factory faster.

The maple top is also (generally speaking)less pretty than the top on a standard. The more flame on the maple the more expensive the guitar.

I have a faded also. Went into GC to buy a new Classic '60, played about 10 different Pauls that day and ended up getting the faded. I really liked that the pickups didn't feel as hot as the pups in the Classic.

Comment on the time spent on the finish: at the store I noticed that there was a hair in the finish right next to the neck pup tone pot, showed it to the sales guy, he called over the manager and they knocked a nice chunk off the already nicely negotiated price!

Oh yeah, this is the same guitar that I've been having fret / binding issues with but I'm not convinced that that is related to the model of guitar.

I stand corrected then, that is a lot of flame. The ones I have seen at the store had less flame, I actually prefer less flame, too much of it reminds me of PRS.

The fadeds are described as having a hand rubbed finish...no idea what that means...

Interesting side note on the faded finish. All the ones I've seen don't come with the pick guard attached and mine has been sitting in the case since I bought it almost 3 years ago (the pick guard, not the guitar). I took the pick guard out thinking I might finally like to install it and it is now a different color than the pickup rings - ARGGH.

Archived