Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Else a Fan of V-Picks?

CowboyBillyBob1

I went to a nice Guitar Shop, Brian's Guitars in Hamden, CT. Nice selection of Martin, and Taylor acoustics and some Gibsons as well. They seem to be big on PRS electrics but some Gibsons and a few Fenders. Lots of unusual botique pedals and not just the regular Boss stuff.

I went there because they are a dealer in V-Picks and I wanted to try one even though the regulat models are like $4 USD a piece. I wound up buyig 4 of them (different models) just to have some fun checking them out this afternoon. Wow was I blown away with these things. They are hand made with a type of acrylic that is mostly way thicker than normal picks. They mostly have a large beveled edge. After about 1/2 hour of playing with these picks I have been converted and can't imagine using any "normal" pick ever again. When your hand warms up they stick to your fingers. Not in an qactual sticky way just that it becomes harder for them to slip out of your hand. You wind up not needing such a hard grip to hold the pick in place. I have a bit of neuropathy in my hands due to diabeties and these guys are just what the doctor ordered. The tone they give off is magnificent and totally worth the price. I wound up going online and bought some other models. Some of them wer $10 USD a piece but they seem so worth it. They have a model that is a 351 shape but it is 4.10mm thick. Sounds like something unweildly but I am so blown away by what these bad boys can do. They make a Jazz III type pick but just way better in terms of tone and how it feels in your hand. They have one model that is like 11.85mm thick at $35USD a piece. I did not buy that one but who knows what the future will bring.

Try one of their $4.00 picks and I am sure you will be a convert as well. They have lots of dealers so maybe you can find one near you.

V-Picks

Hello! I like V-tipped picks for tremolo-picked shredding or rhythm parts that incorporate fast alternating picking. For this purpose I've made three picks on my own from copper 1 and 5 forint coins in differend sizes. Smashed them flat with a hammer on an anvil and filed them to shape. They are ultra-thin and rigid. I can achieve strong picking attack and great articulation with them. Otherwise I use the traditionally-shaped Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks. I've recently discovered them. I am very queasy, and had hard times finding the correct ones. Now I am very satisfied with these. They are very durable - really "undestructible". http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/sharp. Cheers... Bence

Hello! I like V-tipped picks for tremolo-picked shredding or rhythm parts that incorporate fast alternating picking. For this purpose I've made three picks on my own from copper 1 and 5 forint coins in differend sizes. Smashed them flat with a hammer on an anvil and filed them to shape. They are ultra-thin and rigid. I can achieve strong picking attack and great articulation with them. Otherwise I use the traditionally-shaped Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks. I've recently discovered them. I am very queasy, and had hard times finding the correct ones. Now I am very satisfied with these. They are very durable - really "undestructible". http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/sharp. Cheers... Bence

These picks are different than what you describe unless I am misreading your post. V-Tip is a brand name of a very specific pick manufacturer. Not all their picks have a sharp point. Some are very rounded. Check out their web site.

These picks are different than what you describe unless I am misreading your post. V-Tip is a brand name of a very specific pick manufacturer. Not all their picks have a sharp point. Some are very rounded. Check out their web site.

You're right, sorry. I just rushed thru the site... Cheers...Bence

...And I thought I'd tried just about everything....I have tried just about everything! - and settled on Jazz IIIs for the last 25 yrs, for me the best pick ever. Well I think I have to try these now!

I am in U.K. and Strings Direct is a good online retailer;

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories/picks/v-picks/1?&&order=top-sellers

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'll have to try some!

I use Dunlop Tortex Standard as well as nylon max-grips and Big Stubby. I may switch to Jazz IIIs. But sometimes I like a lighter pick for it's advantages playing rhythm stuff, and, as Paul Gilbert says, FAR SUPERIOR PICK SCRATCHES!!!!

Hello! I like V-tipped picks for tremolo-picked shredding or rhythm parts that incorporate fast alternating picking. For this purpose I've made three picks on my own from copper 1 and 5 forint coins in differend sizes. Smashed them flat with a hammer on an anvil and filed them to shape. They are ultra-thin and rigid. I can achieve strong picking attack and great articulation with them. Otherwise I use the traditionally-shaped Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks. I've recently discovered them. I am very queasy, and had hard times finding the correct ones. Now I am very satisfied with these. They are very durable - really "undestructible". http://www.jimdunlop.../product/sharp. Cheers... Bence

They seem to have discontinued the copper "Hot Licks" picks that I used to use. Looks like a hammer and file for me too. Or maybe I can lay some pennies on a railroad track..... :lol:

I was going to say,,, a pick , is a pick, is a pick...!

Then I realized,, I have been using Dunlop Tortex predominantly for the past several years.

Orange for acoustic, red for electric. Not sure of the thickness.

So maybe there is something to it, maybe not.

There have been occasions where I had no pic and was able to model a bread tag using scissors to cut one into shape and be quite happy for the rest of the night. Also hand made..lol

Not that there's anything wrong with a V pick but 4 bucks a piece? I think I get a pack of Tortex picks for 4 bucks,, 12 in a pack. And if I drop one under my buddies couch I don't have to crawl around looking for it.

I just don't see how spending more money on something as simple as a pick is any benefit.

I really don't see a pick improving my playing... Long as I'm comfortable with the grip and the thickness,, I'm good.

I might try one though. But they look slippery. I like the tackiness of the Tortex.

I might try one though. But they look slippery. I like the tackiness of the Tortex.

One of their main selling points is how well it stays in your hand. It gets more slip resistant as your hand warms up. I can vouch for that.

I have had a problem with some neuropathy in my hands due to diabeties. I was always dropping picks. That no longer happens. I am also able to reduce how hard I hold the pick giving me more control.

You can not really judge them untill you give them a try. Way worth $4.00. I know this is not what you are used to but no BS they are all I use now. Great tone and glides over your strings due to the bevel on the edge. All hand made and the best pick ever.

You spend $2500 for an LP and $4 bucks is too much to spend for the easiest way to alter your tone for the better?

Archived