Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to buy a bass

burdger

So I've started saving up for a nice bass. I haven't decided on exactly which I wanted. Of course I really like some really expensive Gibsons, but it looks like I'll only have around $1000 to spend. Does anyone have some recommendations for me in that price range? For reference, my favorites I've seen so far are the new Gibson EB Bass and the Grabber II Bass, obviously out of my price range.

Doesn't Gibson make a faded SG Bass that runs for under a grand?

It's listed on their site for $1399. I have an SG guitar already though, and although I like it, I'm not a fan of it's weight balancing. I'd really like to get one with a little different look.

It's listed on their site for $1399. I have an SG guitar already though, and although I like it, I'm not a fan of it's weight balancing. I'd really like to get one with a little different look.

$1399 is MSRP, MAP would probably be around $899. The Grabber 3 is running for $999 at Sweetwater at least. Top of your budget, but hey, it's a Gibson :P

I have a Flying V Gibson I bought new for $899, a Fender American Special J Which is new at $999 and A Godin Freeway 4 that I got used for $300. It depends on what you want and how you use it. My Godin is a PJ so it is the most versatile and has a great neck. I have always liked J basses and the fender has the best quality and the best reputation, The Gibson is hands down the coolest, I actually prefer the short scale but the tone, while cool as heck is pretty much a one trick pony and is a garage/classic rock bass There is no clean pop sound and there will be no slapping or light jazz. But I play garage rock/punk anyway so the Gibby is the least practical but also the one that I would grab if the house was on fire.

It is so much down to personal preference and experience...

I just saw the most lust-worthy non-reverse Fire/Thunderbird bass on this site

IMX Fenders can do it all at a reasonable price

P and J configurations each have their advantages

And even MIC(Squier) and MIM have IMO quality way above their modest price...

Roll it...Pluck it...Slap it...Boot it... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

As a long time bass player I have to ask, are you sure you want a Gibson bass? The Ripper is the only thing Gibson has ever made with a neck I can stand and a pickup system that doesn't sound like a fart.

That's just it, I don't know exactly what I want. I just liked the look of those two basses. From the sound of it, most of you would recommend Fenders. I've looked at them a bit and also the Ibanez Basses. The Ibanez I was messing with was super light and it sounded good.

I'll say like I've heard said a lot the last few years; the quality of instruments coming out of the far east these days is outstanding, so consider an Epiphone or other manufacturer not related to this forum. Might end up being able to buy 2 basses you'd be just as pleased with [biggrin]

also, might find some goodies on ebay

an option

and one more

Saw this at GC for $100 off the lowest price I've ever seen, so I just had to have it for the exact reasons CowboyBillyBob1 states. I absolutely love this bass. It's a Geddy Lee Signature but it can do it all. I still can't believe that this is under a grand.

geddy_lee.jpg

Archived