Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional possibly be exchanged

blueslespaultone

Wow, even I see that.

I doubt this would ever be an issue with the structural integrity of this guitar, but......

This is completely unacceptable in a "new" guitar, and contrary to what I recently wrote in another thread..... this WAS Gibson's fault to let this get through QC!

Its extremely hard to notice, but it's apparent in light.

Visual inspection looks like wood grain ,

Anyway here are the pictures

707D9252-23DC-4501-9D8A-A8B1C8110C10-651-000000A8BEDF582E.jpg

CA34F13D-C37A-45F4-836A-6A2B9E6AA557-651-000000A8B354083C.jpg

D12AFF17-5C14-4736-86B5-E5ACEB986A04-651-000000A8976A71F9.jpg

I contacted sweet water by email, for an exchange

If goldtop isn't available, ice tea, HEritage cherryburst?

Ignore and play,that wont go anywhere!!!

This is the same as `oh no,its had a headstock repair`

So what?

A properly repaired guitar wherever it is will not effect playing or tone and is sometimes stronger than when it was first made?

Taylor guitars guitars realised this and thats why there guitars headstocks and necks are spliced!!

If that was my guitar I would keep it, no prob!!

Just my opinion?

Terry

I'm sure it'll never be a problem, it's in an area where it's a corner of the heel and is structurally sound.

But if the time arose where I needed to sell this guitar,

The buyer would not pay fair price.

But, this is unacceptable to me anyway, and I'm sure sweet water will make right. I sent them an email, the wheels

will be in motion.

Wow, even I see that.

I doubt this would ever be an issue with the structural integrity of this guitar, but......

This is completely unacceptable in a "new" guitar, and contrary to what I recently wrote in another thread..... this WAS Gibson's fault to let this get through QC!

Funny thing, I couldn't see anything visually, found it accidentally in a picture I took with a flash .

So I shined a light and there it was clear as day.

If this were a dark back, this would be a non issue

I seriously doubt it was repaired at Gibson. It would increase labor time (cost) too much. They would rather throw the neck away.

From what I see, (really hard to judge from these pictures) it might not even a crack, just a finishing imperfection(?).

Of course, if it bothers You, bring it back.

Cheers... Bence

There is no money in gluing chunks of wood back to where they broke off and trying to sell it, there just isn't. I'm not waving my Freak Gibson Fanboy Flag here, I'm just sayin that it just won't work, and anyone working on that guitar knows the same.

Since it is only visible with the light just right, I sincerely doubt it's an actual wood crack and is more a characteristic of the paint and the grain in that area.

And since it's probably finish, they won't warrantee it, not in any way.

But you could try to exchange it, them guys are usually pretty good about these things.

Good luck with it.

rct

Whatever it is I agree with those who say it's not going to "go" anywhere and if, as you say, you really love the guitar in all other respects then I'd say you'd be foolish not to keep it.

Even if it ever comes time to sell the prospective buyer is buying a second-hand instrument and shouldn't expect 100% perfection in any case.

It's not like it's a structural weakness which really should be pointed out.

But if it bothers you that much...

P.

I'll call it an imperfection for now,

It definitely is under the finish, which brings to to the point that it's not a post finish crack.

I guess it could be an imperfection on the quarter sawn wood. But when an imperfection is apparent, it would change the course of the grain, wouldn't it?

Nitro checking is a big possibility from its travels from a cold climate, humid during the hurricane to a warm dry climate.

In room light it looks like an imperfection, when light is directly shining, you can see delineated lines following from lateral aspect of the base of the heel curving over to the posterior aspect of the base of the heel.

Well see what they say and is done, I'll keep you guys posted .

If your experience with Sweetwater will end up being like just about everyone else who goes thru them, they are just going to exchange that for you, and will not ask any questions.

Let us know the end of the story!

/KB

just got off the phone with them.

the guy i deal with is gonna take a look at a few that i requested, and send me the best one, an iced tea, and gold top, weighing from 9-10 lbs, theyre gonna check for flaws.

i trust him, hes helped me out alot before.

yeah for sure this guitar is going back to their service center, and poss back to gibson i assume.

ill keep you posted.

i may go for the iced tea though i he says theyre both great.

just got off the phone with them.

the guy i deal with is gonna take a look at a few that i requested, and send me the best one, an iced tea, and gold top, weighing from 9-10 lbs, theyre gonna check for flaws.

i trust him, hes helped me out alot before.

yeah for sure this guitar is going back to their service center, and poss back to gibson i assume.

ill keep you posted.

i may go for the iced tea though i he says theyre both great.

ya man, good deal.. Sweetwater is among the best of the best. Been very pleased with them when I've bought stuff there.

btw.. you should be able to see multiple HD photos of any guitar they have in stock @the website.

I'm sure it'll never be a problem, it's in an area where it's a corner of the heel and is structurally sound.

But if the time arose where I needed to sell this guitar,

The buyer would not pay fair price.

But, this is unacceptable to me anyway, and I'm sure sweet water will make right. I sent them an email, the wheels

will be in motion.

This is exactly why you made the right decision to return it. Whether it's sound or not, the value is lower. Even if you sold it "as seen" and the buyer didn't notice the problem it would always play on your mind that you potentially ripped somebody off.

I took delivery on Monday of a Traditional Gold Top from Sweetwater. Picked it out of four that they usually show in the gallery. It has a darker finish on the back and neck than usually allowing the wood grain to really pop, and man is it beautiful. I emailed my sales engineer today and told him how much I liked it, a first for me. He also matched the Sam Ash price, so it was a win win, no matter what happens with the 2013 models. I've got a Memphis 339, and a 2011 Nashville 335. I've heard some stories of poor production, but all of mine are pretty much perfect.

Archived